Osteopath vs massage

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Osteopath vs massage

Postby BettyB » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi, I have been diagnosed since September but been suffering most of the year? A couple of months ago some one recommended I went to an osteopath who put medium pressure on me and I ended up in agony for weeks. Not being one to quit and understanding this could be revised I went back and he treated me as he would a child or pregnant lady, I could bearly feel him touching me and yet I still flared up by the end of the session. I had had AA massage as a pressie back in February but hadn't claimed it due to not feeling good but had booked it for today. I had the massage about 5 hours ago. She was not gentle and at times it was quite painfully yet at the same time relaxing I though
T of relaxing things and breathed through the tough parts. I could have asked her to be gentle but apart from the pain parts (hips and shoulders) I was actually really enjoying the pressure. Anyhow, now 5 hours later. Apart from my elbow and tiredness I week fine. Why am I ok after pressurised massage but not gentle osteopath? Does anyone know?

Betty
BettyB
UKFM Member

Re: Osteopath vs massage

Postby shortnsweet54 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi Betty,

well i'm not sure why one is painful and the other not, maybe we just have to figure out what suits us and go with it. I wonder if the person that did the massage or osteo treatment might shed some light on it, it would be interesting to know.
I went to an osteopath when my hamstring and back seized up and i learnt more about fibro from him than anyone. He was very good indeed and thankfully i wasn't in too much pain after a couple of days.
I've also tried massage and find it really helps.. especially the hot stone/lave shell one when i get really cold with fibro.

Got an appt with a chiropractor in a week or so to see what she can do with my shoulders and ribs and they are quite tight and painful. from what i gather they are similar to osteopaths, but this one is under the same roof as the massage lady i see so i'm going to see her and hope she can free my poor bones up a bit.

I also go to hydrotherapy at the local hospital which also helps, especially with my knees and hips, again it';s a matter of finding out what helps and going with it, what suits one might not suit another.

good liuck and i hope you get some answers
Jan x
shortnsweet54
UKFM Member

Postby chookie » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:39 pm

I am a Clinical Complementary Therapist and we are very advanced from the usual 'beauty' based people out there. With my Foundation Degree (FdSc) I can treat those with chronic illness, acute symptoms and palliative care whilst those who have a diploma don't have this knowledge. Whilst a diploma is a great standard, they still understand anatomy, physiology and disease but not as in depth as higher level of education in this area.

Massage, when done correctly for the client, aims to reduce tension and from built up tissue (knots) usually in the back, neck and shoulders. But.... many will only treat the top of the back, in the cervical area, along with the shoulders and not the whole of the upper body, sciatic area and backs of the legs.

Hence, why we go sometimes for a massage to find that pressure is not enough or too much and we feel just as bad coming out as we did when we went in.

Plus... the therapist should always be checking that the pressure that they are applying is suitable for the client.. plus a little help from the client is always welcome! You must speak out, it's your body and they need to tailor the treatment to you, not them.

Osteopathy and chiropractors will look at and adjust skeletal areas to realign the body and may give acupuncture and gentle massage to areas that need it most. My chiropractor will refer clients to me when he knows it is muscle that is the cause of the clients problems and vice versa.

As they are realigning the body after it has been in that way for maybe many years of compensating, adjustment can take a while to get used to as the body needs to 're-learn' the correct position. This is why this can hurt.

Drink plenty of water and relax after any treatment as toxins from the system need to be flushed out otherwise pain, nausea ns headaches can occur.

Have a consultation with a trained and respected chiro or osteo and get their opinion first. They might be able to help and refer if needed.

Aromatherapy Massage will in nature be more gentle, so maybe you could find someone that could treat you this way...
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby shortnsweet54 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi chookie,

thanks so much for your post it was very interesting indeed and certainly food for thought
:-)

jan x
shortnsweet54
UKFM Member

Postby BettyB » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:58 pm

Thank you all especially Cookie,

This really helps, I have another appointment with my osteopath next week. Let's hope this time he works :-o
BettyB
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:16 am

chookie wrote:I am a Clinical Complementary Therapist and we are very advanced from the usual 'beauty' based people out there. With my Foundation Degree (FdSc) I can treat those with chronic illness, acute symptoms and palliative care whilst those who have a diploma don't have this knowledge. Whilst a diploma is a great standard, they still understand anatomy, physiology and disease but not as in depth as higher level of education in this area.

Massage, when done correctly for the client, aims to reduce tension and from built up tissue (knots) usually in the back, neck and shoulders. But.... many will only treat the top of the back, in the cervical area, along with the shoulders and not the whole of the upper body, sciatic area and backs of the legs.

Hence, why we go sometimes for a massage to find that pressure is not enough or too much and we feel just as bad coming out as we did when we went in.

Plus... the therapist should always be checking that the pressure that they are applying is suitable for the client.. plus a little help from the client is always welcome! You must speak out, it's your body and they need to tailor the treatment to you, not them.

Osteopathy and chiropractors will look at and adjust skeletal areas to realign the body and may give acupuncture and gentle massage to areas that need it most. My chiropractor will refer clients to me when he knows it is muscle that is the cause of the clients problems and vice versa.

As they are realigning the body after it has been in that way for maybe many years of compensating, adjustment can take a while to get used to as the body needs to 're-learn' the correct position. This is why this can hurt.

Drink plenty of water and relax after any treatment as toxins from the system need to be flushed out otherwise pain, nausea ns headaches can occur.

Have a consultation with a trained and respected chiro or osteo and get their opinion first. They might be able to help and refer if needed.

Aromatherapy Massage will in nature be more gentle, so maybe you could find someone that could treat you this way...

I think your clients are very lucky Chookie, you sound wonderful! I have recently found a fantastic massage therapist and that is exactly the approach she takes - she is always checking if the pressure is ok and to let her know if something hurts. She says being a bit uncomfortable for a short time is ok, but pain is not.

Interesting what you say about headaches too - after my first session, I had the most awful headache. But now I drink lots of water both before and after a massage, I've never had the problem again.

Thank you for sharing :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby sunnyem23 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi thanks for posting this. I'm suffering with pain in my neck/shoulders, triggered by a virus and also a day up in London. I saw the osteo on Monday which I think helped short term but it's now hurting even more!

Have any of you managed to get a referral to an osteo/chiropractor through the NHS? I was referred to the physio last year but that wasn't very helpful (not to mention a long waiting list).

I'm also wondering if acupuncture could help.

Also, do you know what the main difference is between an osteopath and a chiropractor?

Thanks all :)
sunnyem23
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia