I could have died

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I could have died

Postby mrsk » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:41 pm

I woke up this morning and I could not move. I just could not lift my head, as all my neck muscles were literally in the wrong place.... I slid out of bed slowly and ran a bath. I lay in the bath and let the hot water cover my neck and back to try and ease the pain. So, the water got a little too high and I tried to sit up.............I couldn't move. I started to panic and started shouting out my daughters name until she came to help me, she had to pull me up out of the water. She is nine years old and now scared to go to school tomorrow in case I need help and she is not there. I feel so guilty. The look of fear on her face was something I never want to see again. I just wish I didn't have to rely on my babies so much. Does anyone else have times when they just can't move for the pain?
mrsk
UKFM Newbie

Re: I could have died

Postby dazzleship » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:20 pm

crikey how horrible for you :hugs: sounds utterly terrifying.

to prevent this happening again, is there something you could tie around the bath plug chain so you can always pull it out yourself to make the water level go down? if you see what I mean. like a long piece of ribbon or something? :-?

it wouldn't help you get out of the bath but at least it would solve the immediate danger until you can move again.

but yes, I have times like these. the other morning I woke up and I was lying on my side (as usual) but this time I just knew I'd been lying in the exact same position for most if not all of the night. and I could. not. move. at all. and was howling in pain. hubby had to kind of prise me apart :roll: :-) and help me out of bed. I sincerely hope that won't happen again but I know it probably will.

so you're not alone. but as I said, maybe think of something you can do as a safety measure to prevent this happening in future.

:hugs:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby natmac73 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Omg...that's frightening. ..... I try not to have a bath purely for that reason! Plus I would struggle to get in or out... I struggle with my neck as I have arthritis. ...I use a heated soother..microwave wheat bag! It helps a little ....a shower is only the way to go..I miss having a bath..
X hope you and your daughter are ok x
natmac73
UKFM Member

Postby hazely » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:40 pm

get in touch with occupational therapist and ask for a thing that goes over the bath taps that has a bar on it to help pull you up. my ot was here the other day and suggested it for me. I would also not be taking baths when you are on your own either.
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby PMKing » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Another solution is a bath lift which I'm advised by my OT all patients should be offered anyway. At the very least it can get you out of harms way. The idea of something attached to the plug is also a really good one.
And yes I have spells when I am literally seized up and nothing moves, fortunately I am blessed by having My Good Lady around to make sure I am alright. I think I too would be concerned if I has to rely on my kids, although mine have long since gone their own ways.
PMKing
UKFM Member

Postby mrsk » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:48 pm

I'm feeling a lot better now. It took me about twenty minutes to get out of bed, so when I couldn't lift my head off the bottom of the bath I really did panic. It was like that scene out of that film with Harrison Ford where he paralises his wife and puts her in the bath........ I've never not been able to move it was so scarey. What made it worse was that my head was actually resting on the bottom of the bath, not the incline at the back because my neck couldn't take the angle of it. I've had a hot water bottle and deep heat rub all day and I'm mobile again now.
mrsk
UKFM Newbie

Postby joyster14 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:10 am

Please get in touch with your local councils social care department. I went through exactly the same thing. I had my bath fitted with an inflatable bath lift. I also have an electric bed riser an a rail to hold onto. They are usually very helpful. I have a rail round my loo as well to help me get up. I'm sure if you explain that you're relying on your children they'll help you with a lot more x
joyster14
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:34 pm

I've had that happen to me once earlier in the year. I couldn't move my head at all. I shouted for my daughter to fetch some ibuprofen as I didn't know what else to do. I thought maybe its to do with my arthritis that I couldn't move! It hasnt happened again thankfully. I've recently started using a heated under blanket which is just as good as a hot bath. It makes it more comfortable to sleep and my joints able to be easier to move first thing x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby morette5 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:16 pm

Oh my God!! Just reading this gave me goose bumps.
I had a similar thing with my daughter when i fell down the stairs when she was at the bottom.
The utter terror and fear on her face in her voice as she cried out.
I then did a similar fall when i tried to sit on a non existent sofa and crashed to the floor, again right in front of her.
I know exactly what you mean. I felt so guilty for scaring her.
Then there was the time when she dropped something and i went to pick it up and my back locked. Screamed out and so did she.
I know i am traumatizing her. I have no control when these things happen. She is always the only one with me at the time. My older daughter is always somewhere else. and she is forced to call the ambulance or family. (She i a very young 14.)
morette5
UKFM Member

Postby redplanetgirl » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:08 am

Hi so sorry you had to go thur scraing your daughter,I don't have anyone around to help, once I got caught in the bath I had to wait for someone to call in, I laid there for hours, topping up with hot water till it ran cold, then I got cold, I cried, I got frustrated, I panicked thinking no one will come, I laid there for 5hours, then I forced myself up enough to get myself (after a few attempts) on the edge of the bath and fell on the floor hurting my already bad back, but I had no choice, then my carer called in I was so relived to see her, what a sight for her me laying on the bathroom floor naked. I only have my carer for 3hours a week, but she calls in every other day, I thought I would be there for days. It is awful to relie on other people, partners, children etc.
redplanetgirl
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia