Bedrooms

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Bedrooms

Postby Steve1964 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi,
has anyone moved to separate rooms so their partners who suffer from fibro do not worry about disturbing their other half's? If so has it worked? :-D
Steve1964
UKFM Newbie

Re: Bedrooms

Postby LizzyMac » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:26 pm

I did, yes, but more because I was sometimes so sensitive to pain that I didn't like any accidental touches in the night.

It did help the pain, but in my case, our relationship was broken and we ended up splitting completely and I moved out, but I don't think it was the moving out of the bedroom that was to blame.
LizzyMac
UKFM Member

Postby claudine1288 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:30 pm

I am the fibro partner and moved to a separate bedroom for two months. I found that sleeping on my own did me a lot of good, as I was no longer awakened by the tossing and kicking of my partner. But something does happen, I felt, when one stops sharing a bed after sleeping together for over twenty years. Either anxiety (on the part of one or the other) because one fears the loss of intimacy, or real distance may set in. I do think this is a very individual question, and an occasional night apart cannot hurt a relationship, while helping with lost sleep.
Try it after discussing the pros and cons and see how you both feel. My very best wishes to you.
claudine1288
UKFM Member

Postby sandibach » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Yes hun, we went to seperate rooms too .... Not only for the accidental contact during a flare but also those other irritating things she did when I was going through a flare up .... Like having the tv on in bed, getting in the way of my foot when my leg starts to lash out on its own and breatheing !!!
Its funny how these little things can irritate the hell out of you when you're trying to sleep and your mind and body wont let you.... But hey oh ... :lol:
sandibach
UKFM Newbie

Postby MilYvieMum » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:58 pm

There are times when one of us ends up on the sofabed downstairs. We try to not do the sleeping seperately but sometimes it has to be done. My hubby works long long hours and so sometimes it's necessary.

We don't have a spare room so its the sofa or stay put in bed.
MilYvieMum
UKFM Member

Postby di doc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Yes have tried seperate beds but not for my fibro, its because the hubby snores like a steam train lol :lol: :sleep:
di doc
UKFM Member

Postby charlie21colina » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:43 pm

I use a pregnancy pillow in bed to ease pain and keep me from hurting during the night
charlie21colina
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:07 pm

No. Nothing would ever make me want to move from our bed :-)
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:11 pm

di doc wrote:Yes have tried seperate beds but not for my fibro, its because the hubby snores like a steam train lol :lol: :sleep:

God, snoring drives me crazy! I just don't allow it lol I will keep knocking or pushing hubby til he's quiet. I just cannot tolerate it. Same goes for deep breathing lol
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby becxy1970 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:13 pm

We haven't moved bedrooms, but are getting individual beds so my hubby doesn't wake me in the night, pluss I need a memory foam mattress and he doesn't like them, I like to have my electric blanket on all night to help with the pain and he gets too hot. :sleep:
becxy1970
UKFM Newbie

Postby medicanwoman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:55 am

Hi everyone,
My hubby and I have never slept in the same bed, as well as part of my fibro, I get awful leg cramps, as well as night sweats.... part of my under active thyroid and as well, to be awake most of the night. Plus also he snores like a train going through a tunnel, and what he does with his duvet I really don't know, as it always looks like he has done a round with 'Tyson'.
This arrangement works well for us, and has strengthen our marriage over time..... :lol:
medicanwoman
UKFM Newbie

Postby scoke » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:04 am

weve been married over39 years and for the last eight years (and several years before that when one of us has had a cold/cough for a night or two) we've slept in separate rooms. The only way it's affected our relationship is that at least one of us sleeps better and we both know we aren't disturbing the other - he snores on occasion and can be a bed/duvet hogger, while I often need to read, get up, wander around or toss and turn and can get back to sleep better if I'm not trying to lie still so as not to disturb him. He has had to travel a lot over the years with his job so we've both been used to sleeping alone anyway. We always both get into my bed first at night then he comes back in in the morning so we only sleep apart. We're both better-rested so better-tempered than if we were sleeping together and disturbing each other.
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby Ditchy08 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:40 pm

I move down stairs happy
Ditchy08
UKFM Newbie

Postby Leannellie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:40 pm

Me and my husband sleep in separate rooms most nights. I have a normal mattress plus 2 memory foam ones on my bed, I'm like princess and the pea!!!! My husband can't sleep on memory foam so he's in spare room. Our relationship is still strong. We were a bit dubious about it at first but I think whatever suits. I jerk a lot and thrash about. He snores!!! And also has a very demanding job so needs his sleep. He still comes in bed with me but moves when it's time to go to sleep. If you see what I mean!! ;-)
Comfort in sound it's all around, ease back the strain, come heal your pain.
Leannellie
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:58 am

Steve....the question is a personal.choice and I would not want you to make a decision on other people's choice. However, you asked, LOL

I have been diagnosed with fibro for 25 years. I also have gone through well over 20 surgeries that included issues where a nurse comes z3x a day to pack incisions, all done in bedroom. I sleep with a CPAP. But my hubby snores? We have had casts, catheters, apparatus for various things.

We have always shared the same bed. We feel that we shared a bed from the beginning of our marriage we will to the end. We go to bed at the same time. If I need to go early, hubby comes and reads or quietly watches telly. Hubby and I feel that if you start having your own bed you start having other issues. Just our opinion, not necessarily others.

What ever you choose, make sure you both have the same opinions.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia