Pain and Panic attacks

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain and Panic attacks

Postby heatherp » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:57 pm

Evening, I'm not one to normally post as usually seem to manage my FM reasonably well, but this last month the amount of spasms my shoulder and neck have gone into have really got me down. Can happen at any time, can be feeling reasonably (whatever that is) ok, then bang out of the blue I get awful pains in shoulders, neck, chest, always think I'm about to have heart attack and die. Then the panic attack starts and I go hot and cold, feel sick, stomach starts turning, palpitations start. Went to Doctors this week as really been getting me down, had blood pressure etc taken, of course everything normal, as we know nothing much can be done just need to take more pills (which I try to avoid normally).

Just had another one, my other half found big knots in my left shoulder blade, managed to massage them out and now the after effects are happening, sharp pains all around chest, down arms etc etc. In the past I have been blue lighted into hospital as always thought I was dying, nothing there and once they have calmed me down and given me pain killers I get over it. So now I try to take deep breaths, calm myself down, do something else to take my mind off it (like I am now I guess).

So really I guess I'm writing this down just as a bit of self help, taken some amitriptyline which does usually eventually calm the nerves and help. I'm sure there are many more of you out there that are far worse than me, just lately I have been getting these far more frequently so feeling a bit sorry for myself !! Blame it on the colder weather and damp I suppose. :-)
heatherp
UKFM Member

Re: Pain and Panic attacks

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:44 pm

I've suffered panic attacks because of stress so I know what you're experiencing x How i dealt with them was by trying to distract myself when I felt one coming on. It's not easy but I'm doing much better now with them. Sometimes I get them when there are too many people in a room like class assemblies for the kids especially if they have the curtains shut! Also having something rough or with texture in your pocket that you can grab when you feel one coming on x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Siobhan.b » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:53 pm

I have been getting panic attack for the last couple of weeks, and I have some friends numbers on fast dial on my mobile, just talking a about the weather can be enough of a distraction to help me through (((gentle hugz )))
Siobhan.b
UKFM Newbie

Postby Angie Baby » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:41 am

My dad suffers from copd and has panic attacks. The way he's been told to slow his breathing down. Is. Use a mirror or window and breath in on the short side from top to bottom and breath out for the distance along the long side. Keep doing this until the panic goes away. I hope this helps you. .:-)
Angie Baby
UKFM Member

Postby heatherp » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks everyone, just nice to be able to write things down at times, does help calm me down. I'm lucky my other half knows how I get so helps me through :) Very sore this morning where he released all the knots, got busy day microchipping 10 foals as we breed horses so my life is very busy and involves a lot of outside work which in current weather doesn't help. Ok until I stand about and get chilly then everything seizes!!

Hope everyone has a pain free (ha ha) day :)
heatherp
UKFM Member

Postby Patsb » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:52 pm

I've suffered panic attacks for years and had them under control until I was diagnosed with fibro :twisted: I'm really struggling at. Moment so I sympathise with you. Take care x
Patsb
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia