[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Fine Motor skills

Fine Motor skills

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fine Motor skills

Postby mimildred » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi All,

this may seem a silly question, but.... I was only diagnosed in July, after symptoms all seemed to come together last December. I am noticing 'new' things regularly, but the latest is quite alarming for me. I have noticed I am losing control of my fine motor skills such as putting a knife in a knife block, picking up a piece of paper, getting my bank card out of my purse (handy when with hubby!!). Does anyone else have this problem - I can't see any posts where people have referred to this?

Thanks all.
mimildred
UKFM Member

Re: Fine Motor skills

Postby Patsb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Same here. I'm left handed and fibro affects my left hand side. My writing is now a scrawl I find it hard eating properly I keep dropping my fork and have realised lately how much more I'm now using my right hand for unconsciously I.e wiping units in kitchen down ..also when I shake salt and pepper on my food I don't shake more jerk the salt/ pepper cellar.its I really weird and annoying sensation. :evil:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Oh I replied to this and it's not here! :crazy:

Anyway...yes I get this. I went through a phase of dropping my toothbrush every day even when concentrating on not doing it.

Lifting the kettle, holding a knife/fork, writing, gripping/squeezing things are all now difficult. I asked for help from the physio/OT, but got none cos I'm not bad enough. I can't afford any of the aids that local mobility shops offer, so I carry on as I am. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has any ideas/suggestions!

Also, I've had to book to go to a hairdressing salon for the first time ever, because I can no longer use the home dye kits properly. So that's something I'm dreading and an example where I've had to change what I do.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby mimildred » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:13 pm

thank you!! Glad it is not just me! Hopefully some useful tips or advice will appear....!! :-D
mimildred
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:21 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:28 pm

Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Suzyhyde » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:57 pm

I was a hairdresser for 37years then fibro came out of nowhere,had a year trying to get me sorted out .Started a job in retail we have to press the keys on the til ,have been there 3years last few months have noticed my hands are quivering abit when I go on till I am scared of making a mistake feel like I am going to press keys twice doubling customers bill not sure is it fibro or medication?.i als get my legs quivering which a bit scary when driving
Suzyhyde
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:59 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Queenie_70 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:12 pm

I have found that I am the clumsiest person I know...I cannot hold anything for the life of me, I misjudge distances so instead of putting something on the counter, it goes on the floor, my elbow will always manage to knock over anything breakable, while I trip over thin air, walk into walls and door frames, and struggle to grip the soap in the bath....body wash and a scrubby with a cord to wrap around my wrist has solved the last one.

Fine motor is one of the conditions I now lists as anything but fine!

Welcome to fibro, and I am sorry you have had to join. None of us would wish this on anyone (except my ex husband...he could do with a dose of what ails me)..xxx :twisted:
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:37 pm

I have suffered FM for 7 years now, surely not everything that happens can be blamed on FM.
I had to have all my teeth removed in March this year, not blaming that on FM, it was something that just happened, I also drop stuff more but so do people without FM.
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby keaedmondson » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Regarding the problem holding the kettle… I have this too. I am often misdirecting it and pouring it all over me instead of in the cup because my hands shake and I can't keep steady… I have resolve this by asking for one of those one cup machines where you put the cup ready Underneath the Gnozzle it boils and immediately dispatches the water for you. A friend of mine had one and I thought about it for a year and finally given in. I will keep the kettle but I think I would prefer to use the one cup. Looking forward to Christmas and getting that!

Sorry, I can't remember the actual name but I have it on Amazon and might be able to PM the link if anybody wants it. It's about £35 if that helps
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:24 pm

migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:37 pm

yeah I too struggle with gripping things and also shaky hands at times I guess.

as for tips for helping, well..
one thing I've done for years now (since before fibro cos it was a problem then) is use thick pens - can't grip something as thin as your normal 'biro' pen. also we've recently got new cutlery with slightly thicker handles which I find easier to use. just things like that. or when lifting a kettle, don't fill it as much.

but for me I dunno whether it's actually the fibro causing it cos certainly the pen thing has been a problem for me for years. maybe some of it is worse than it was though :-? perhaps.

I did have a weird thing a few weeks ago when out for a meal. I was lifting a glass of lemonade and the next thing I knew I had spilled some of it down my front :oops: to this day I still have no idea how it happened. hubby doesn't either, it was so quick neither of us knew what had happened.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:05 pm

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:27 pm

I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia