Fine Motor skills

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fine Motor skills

Postby mimildred » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi All,

this may seem a silly question, but.... I was only diagnosed in July, after symptoms all seemed to come together last December. I am noticing 'new' things regularly, but the latest is quite alarming for me. I have noticed I am losing control of my fine motor skills such as putting a knife in a knife block, picking up a piece of paper, getting my bank card out of my purse (handy when with hubby!!). Does anyone else have this problem - I can't see any posts where people have referred to this?

Thanks all.
Mimildred
mimildred
UKFM Member

Re: Fine Motor skills

Postby Patsb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Same here. I'm left handed and fibro affects my left hand side. My writing is now a scrawl I find it hard eating properly I keep dropping my fork and have realised lately how much more I'm now using my right hand for unconsciously I.e wiping units in kitchen down ..also when I shake salt and pepper on my food I don't shake more jerk the salt/ pepper cellar.its I really weird and annoying sensation. :evil:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Oh I replied to this and it's not here! :crazy:

Anyway...yes I get this. I went through a phase of dropping my toothbrush every day even when concentrating on not doing it.

Lifting the kettle, holding a knife/fork, writing, gripping/squeezing things are all now difficult. I asked for help from the physio/OT, but got none cos I'm not bad enough. I can't afford any of the aids that local mobility shops offer, so I carry on as I am. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has any ideas/suggestions!

Also, I've had to book to go to a hairdressing salon for the first time ever, because I can no longer use the home dye kits properly. So that's something I'm dreading and an example where I've had to change what I do.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby mimildred » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:13 pm

thank you!! Glad it is not just me! Hopefully some useful tips or advice will appear....!! :-D
Mimildred
mimildred
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Zia2014 wrote:Also, I've had to book to go to a hairdressing salon for the first time ever, because I can no longer use the home dye kits properly. So that's something I'm dreading and an example where I've had to change what I do.

This happened to me too, and it turned out to be the best thing for me. I've found a fab stylist {she's moved premises twice since I've been going, one of which was quite a distance away compared to her previous location, but I stayed with her as she's so good} She definitley the best one I've had for my hair. I now look forward to my appts as they're more like playtimes, we experiment with different colours and styles, discuss everything and anything and I walk out feeling so much better than when I walked in.

Rather than a necessity these days, it's now my 8 weekly therapeutic treat {OH gets to play with his kit car, so it's only fair I have a "little" indulgence} and he can tell what a difference it makes to me when I've been :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:28 pm

FluppyPuffy wrote:
Zia2014 wrote:Also, I've had to book to go to a hairdressing salon for the first time ever, because I can no longer use the home dye kits properly. So that's something I'm dreading and an example where I've had to change what I do.

This happened to me too, and it turned out to be the best thing for me. I've found a fab stylist {she's moved premises twice since I've been going, one of which was quite a distance away compared to her previous location, but I stayed with her as she's so good} She definitley the best one I've had for my hair. I now look forward to my appts as they're more like playtimes, we experiment with different colours and styles, discuss everything and anything and I walk out feeling so much better than when I walked in.

Rather than a necessity these days, it's now my 8 weekly therapeutic treat {OH gets to play with his kit car, so it's only fair I have a "little" indulgence} and he can tell what a difference it makes to me when I've been :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

I'm glad it's good for you :) I get a bit nervous with anyone touching my hair, I have no idea why, so this is a real first for me! :yikes: It's quite new and about 5 mins drive if that, so I'm hoping it will be good. Although at that price I'm not going every 8 weeks!!! :mrgreen:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Suzyhyde » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:57 pm

I was a hairdresser for 37years then fibro came out of nowhere,had a year trying to get me sorted out .Started a job in retail we have to press the keys on the til ,have been there 3years last few months have noticed my hands are quivering abit when I go on till I am scared of making a mistake feel like I am going to press keys twice doubling customers bill not sure is it fibro or medication?.i als get my legs quivering which a bit scary when driving
Suzyhyde
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:59 pm

Zia2014 wrote:.....I get a bit nervous with anyone touching my hair, I have no idea why, so this is a real first for me! :yikes: It's quite new and about 5 mins drive if that, so I'm hoping it will be good. Although at that price I'm not going every 8 weeks!!! :mrgreen:

I was very similar for the first few times. As I also have scars on the side of my head from being on skull traction, and a long scar down my neck/spine from a fusion op after a car accident, I was very conscious of them as I always get asked questions about them, which makes me tense and upset, which she could see. It wasn't out of nosiness, or just to make conversation that she was asking tho at the time. When I was laid back to have my hair washed, the lump in my neck from the vertebrae that were fused was on the edge of the back wash, and because of the nerves being a bit battered and broken, it meant I was twitching and jerking a lot. So she was asking to see if there might be something that could be done to make it a little more comfortable if I were to come for another appt. The solution was the foamy strip that can go on the edge where my neck goes and then, and still does now, it means the twitches and jerks are now very rare occurrences.

I know it's not the same for everyone when they go, and for some it is done because it is an absolute necessity, if a little bit of pleasure can be gained from it tho, it can all help in its own little way.

As for cost, I find treating OH like a mushroom where my hair is concerned is the best way to go :nono: :nono: :nono: Seriously tho, he does know, and with him working in the MH sector, he knows how something therapeutic can be of benefit, so seeing me a bit more :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: esp when Kevin is on the rampage is always :rudolph: :rudolph: :rudolph:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Queenie_70 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:12 pm

I have found that I am the clumsiest person I know...I cannot hold anything for the life of me, I misjudge distances so instead of putting something on the counter, it goes on the floor, my elbow will always manage to knock over anything breakable, while I trip over thin air, walk into walls and door frames, and struggle to grip the soap in the bath....body wash and a scrubby with a cord to wrap around my wrist has solved the last one.

Fine motor is one of the conditions I now lists as anything but fine!

Welcome to fibro, and I am sorry you have had to join. None of us would wish this on anyone (except my ex husband...he could do with a dose of what ails me)..xxx :twisted:
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:37 pm

I have suffered FM for 7 years now, surely not everything that happens can be blamed on FM.
I had to have all my teeth removed in March this year, not blaming that on FM, it was something that just happened, I also drop stuff more but so do people without FM.
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby keaedmondson » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Regarding the problem holding the kettle… I have this too. I am often misdirecting it and pouring it all over me instead of in the cup because my hands shake and I can't keep steady… I have resolve this by asking for one of those one cup machines where you put the cup ready Underneath the Gnozzle it boils and immediately dispatches the water for you. A friend of mine had one and I thought about it for a year and finally given in. I will keep the kettle but I think I would prefer to use the one cup. Looking forward to Christmas and getting that!

Sorry, I can't remember the actual name but I have it on Amazon and might be able to PM the link if anybody wants it. It's about £35 if that helps
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:24 pm

mimildred wrote:Hi All,

this may seem a silly question, but.... I was only diagnosed in July, after symptoms all seemed to come together last December. I am noticing 'new' things regularly, but the latest is quite alarming for me. I have noticed I am losing control of my fine motor skills such as putting a knife in a knife block, picking up a piece of paper, getting my bank card out of my purse (handy when with hubby!!). Does anyone else have this problem - I can't see any posts where people have referred to this?

Thanks all.

I find it helpful to look at what i am doing as i do it or to tell my brain to do it, but i am forever dropping things and my finger ends feel kinda numb - not sure how to describe it

Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:37 pm

yeah I too struggle with gripping things and also shaky hands at times I guess.

as for tips for helping, well..
one thing I've done for years now (since before fibro cos it was a problem then) is use thick pens - can't grip something as thin as your normal 'biro' pen. also we've recently got new cutlery with slightly thicker handles which I find easier to use. just things like that. or when lifting a kettle, don't fill it as much.

but for me I dunno whether it's actually the fibro causing it cos certainly the pen thing has been a problem for me for years. maybe some of it is worse than it was though :-? perhaps.

I did have a weird thing a few weeks ago when out for a meal. I was lifting a glass of lemonade and the next thing I knew I had spilled some of it down my front :oops: to this day I still have no idea how it happened. hubby doesn't either, it was so quick neither of us knew what had happened.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:05 pm

rubes wrote:I have suffered FM for 7 years now, surely not everything that happens can be blamed on FM.

I agree, I don't think it is all to do with the FM, but the shakes that have worsened make pouring hot water interesting, the clumsiness is due to the constant dizziness I now suffer. I am know that I wasn't a graceful swan before this condition, but I do know that between the FM and the medication to help out, my symptoms are worse because of it. I think FM exacerbates underlying problems that one might have brushed off before, but unfortunately now, cannot as they interfere with all aspects of life.

Laughing at the silly things helps a lot though. And I laugh almost all the time because I am a silly thing :crazy:
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:27 pm

Queenie_70 wrote:I have found that I am the clumsiest person I know...I cannot hold anything for the life of me, I misjudge distances so instead of putting something on the counter, it goes on the floor, my elbow will always manage to knock over anything breakable, while I trip over thin air, walk into walls and door frames, and struggle to grip the soap in the bath....body wash and a scrubby with a cord to wrap around my wrist has solved the last one.

Fine motor is one of the conditions I now lists as anything but fine!

Welcome to fibro, and I am sorry you have had to join. None of us would wish this on anyone (except my ex husband...he could do with a dose of what ails me)..xxx :twisted:

This is me too. Its getting so bad I'm starting to swear at myself. I get so frustrated! I was always clumsy but this is just getting worse and worse :-?
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia