Fine Motor skills

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Fine Motor skills

Postby hazely » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:41 am

Zia2014 wrote:Oh I replied to this and it's not here! :crazy:

Anyway...yes I get this. I went through a phase of dropping my toothbrush every day even when concentrating on not doing it.

Lifting the kettle, holding a knife/fork, writing, gripping/squeezing things are all now difficult. I asked for help from the physio/OT, but got none cos I'm not bad enough. I can't afford any of the aids that local mobility shops offer, so I carry on as I am. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has any ideas/suggestions!

Also, I've had to book to go to a hairdressing salon for the first time ever, because I can no longer use the home dye kits properly. So that's something I'm dreading and an example where I've had to change what I do.

Hi have you asked about any grants or searched on google. I was in the same situation ot said I needed the stuff but they don't provide it you have to buy it yourself.... isn't that what pip is for..... I got turned down. anyway I emailed a support worker I see and she gave me a form and I was allocated a one off £100 and got all my equipment through a charity. Just hoping my pip reconsideration is approve as need some crutches( special ones as I have weak wrists) and a bath rail( that fits over the bath as have hollow wall) which they don't supply.
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby Polaris » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:50 am

Usually at its worst in the mornings with the morning stiffness. Can't even feel my hands when I wake up. The other morning woke up with my right arm above my head and couldn't move it and had to use my left to bring it back down to my side. Tripping over my own feet is common, bumping in to things, dropping things. It's all a part of the FMS package
Polaris
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:40 am

Polaris I get that too, where I often can't feel my hands first thing! I hadn't even linked it to fibro :roll:

I have to say although I was clumsy BF (before fibro), I never had these sorts of problems. So mine are all down to fibro.

hazely wrote:Hi have you asked about any grants or searched on google. I was in the same situation ot said I needed the stuff but they don't provide it you have to buy it yourself.... isn't that what pip is for..... I got turned down. anyway I emailed a support worker I see and she gave me a form and I was allocated a one off £100 and got all my equipment through a charity. Just hoping my pip reconsideration is approve as need some crutches( special ones as I have weak wrists) and a bath rail( that fits over the bath as have hollow wall) which they don't supply.

Hi, no there are no grants apparently :(

What special crutches? I too struggle with my wrists so they sound like a good idea.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:01 pm

Polaris wrote:Usually at its worst in the mornings with the morning stiffness. Can't even feel my hands when I wake up. The other morning woke up with my right arm above my head and couldn't move it and had to use my left to bring it back down to my side. Tripping over my own feet is common, bumping in to things, dropping things. It's all a part of the FMS package

This is me to. Nuts!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Jazzijac » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi
I have similar problems cutting food has been an issue for a while, I was referred to Orthopedics for my wrists and hands they gave me splints for both hands, they do help although i don't like wearing them. I was told to get an assessment for aids in the home, my other half who really doesn't understand does not want mobility aids, I guess it makes the condition more real.

You can contact the local council, or a CAB to get advice on what to do in these situations.

For those who are suffering like this and have not applied for PIPs please try, there are suffers passing the Medical and the extra does help
Jazzijac
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia