Overactive lifestyle

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Overactive lifestyle

Postby carolad » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:09 am

I've been reading some articles recently about how an 'overactive' lifestyle predisposes people to developing fibromyalgia. The theory is that overuse of muscles and basically driving yourself too hard will eventually lead to pain, fatigue etc etc. And then because you are no longer able to have this very active lifestyle you have been used to, this causes emotional distress and depression.

There are academic articles on this but this is a more readable summary:

http://www.etoims.com/blogs/?p=198

Just wondered what your thoughts are? :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Re: Overactive lifestyle

Postby AlisonF » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:42 am

Have to say I could agree, worked and drove extremely long hours and too much using computers.
I have been diagnosed since May, struggled to deal with the fact, can not do all the things that I used to do. Plus what can I do now.
Horrible illness to have, behave and have a good day, so do everything I usually do and then suffer for days.
AlisonF
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jeany » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:46 am

Yes you are correct in that people who are constantly on the go, and unable to relax seem to be predisposed to these illnesses.

I was lucky enough to be assessed by The ME/CFS team at my hospital, who saw me over a 5 month period, but unfortunately after my assessment they sadly said that I had not recovered from my nervous breakdown, and therefore they could not risk putting me through their program as I was so fragile I was at risk of another breakdown which I would be unlikely to recover from completely.

Myself I have always been "On the GO", and use to hit the floor running when I got out of bed.....picking things up, cleaning and tidying all the time. Perfection was my aim in everything.

I brought my youngest son up single handed and he has a disability, so it was extremely hard, but I also worked part time, and did my own decorating,looked after a large garden and walked 40 miles a week. At the age of 51 I decided that I wanted to train for a better job, so I did and found it difficult but managed to pass. After only 9 months in a new job I was made redundant, and retrained again for a different position within the company.

The job was extremely stressful, and so was my home life, which was becoming unbearable with my teenage disabled son.

Three years ago something happened that totally shocked me to the core and devastated me, and I had a breakdown that left me broken and a wreck. The following year I was diagnosed with fibro CFS/ME and you all know the symptoms of those illnesses.

Now I am still very sensitive and emotional and unable to deal with daily life. At 57 I am bored and frustrated that my body has let me down. It just feels like I have over worked it, and that it can't recover from the tiredness and fatigue, but I have to remind myself what I have achieved along the way, and that I have children and grandchildren who love me.
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:54 am

I believe there is some merit to this article. I was always on the go. When I was diagnosed, I was working a 60 hour week, doing my masters programme at night, running my house and looking after my children, plus still recovering from the death of my youngest. I have been accused of being type A by my professor's when I got a 98% for my thesis I wanted to know why it wasn't 100. Add to that mix a marriage that was falling apart around my ears, and bingo, Fibro!!!!
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Hepbell » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:08 pm

I suppose I will have to agree on this as well. Bringing up children on my own, working night shift,little sleep, helping out on the family farm, large garden, the list goes on.now my body is telling me that it's had enough, I still have too many things to do. At 58 I still push myself too hard and boy do I suffer for it but the brain is still 21.guess I'll never change.
Hepbell
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:15 pm

Interesting read Carol, Thank You for sharing it with us :wave: :wave:

There is definitely something in this, the running round and meeting ourselves in the middle coming backwards, the being the one everyone comes to and relies on for things getting done. Add in physical, emotional and/or psychological trauma and you could be talking about a good number of us on here. Whether this predisposes us to develop the condition{s} along with some of its other companions, or not, I don't really know, but just looking at members on here, it definitely does suggest a prevalence amongst us.

My FibroQuest is well documented across the boards, so I'll not bore everyone with it again, suffice to say tho, I was one of the BusyBee brigade BF {Before FM Trade Mark & Copyright Zia2014 :wave: :wave: } so a lot of what is said in the linky is applicable to me too. It's another area that needs adding to the "Investigate Me" list to see just what it is that causes the predisposition/triggers off FM in each of us.
Hepbell wrote:At 58 I still push myself too hard and boy do I suffer for it but the brain is still 21.guess I'll never change.

You're not alone in doing this. You would think that the longer someone has lived with FM, the more sensible they would become in approaching how they tackle the condition........NAH!!! I still do too much and then have to deal with PayBack, as do a good number of us far too many times along the way :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby becbob » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:52 pm

I too had a never ending list of things to do. Get up early, ready the kids for school, housework, walk to school, walk to work, work 5 hours at a very busy job. I worked at Argos where I spent most of my shift physically climbing ladders, carrying heavy items and a lot of fast walking. After work it was time to get the kids, cook a fresh meal from scratch, more tidying, bathing kids, putting kids to bed. By the time I got to sit and rest it was gone 9. I found it very hard to switch of mentally. At week ends I was always out doing various activities. I enjoyed my life before FM. I often think that I having fibro was my bodys way of saying STOP. My body could not cope with the stresses and strains any longer.
Most of my close friends have lives similar to this and they do not have FM so I don't think that having a hectic lifestyle causes FM. I think that it may well be the straw that broke the camels back for people who are maybe predisposed to having FM. Maybe it's something on a genetic level and that having a busy lifestyle is the catalyst.

Hopefully one day this illness will be a lot better understood and easier to treat.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:20 pm

Yep, sounds like me. With the slight difference that not much has changed since I was diagnosed :lol:
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:19 pm

I have always said this. I worked for 10 years as directors' secretary (5 directors that is) at a company who wanted 'high-achievers'. My job grew and grew - senior manager, head of secretarial, HR admin, equal opportunities, various steering groups etc. etc. I loved it but would get home and collapse and fall asleep until bedtime. Then add into the mix my mother being ill with dementia and going to check on her about 3 or 4 times a week after work, shopping, cleaning, washing ...... then being called out by her neighbour because she'd gone missing. She eventually went into a care home by which time I'd gone too far and had to take early retirement. And yes, always being an independent person I find it difficult to ask for help but annoyed with myself for not being able to do things. Armed with this knowledge I hope I can prevent my sons falling into the same trap.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby hazely » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:30 pm

OMG yes I was so busy and active doing everything and then got made redundant and got ill. I have always said I never had time to be ill b4 so now my body is making up for it. Was only on about this today with ipt.
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Interesting to hear your views, thank you :) It is definitely my experience too. I've always been a 'do-er', always on the go, never one to sit and watch TV or take time out to relax. If I sat to watch TV, I was most likely doing something else at the same time....or I would be up and down every 20 minutes, tidying up or whatever :roll: My holidays were hectic too - usually city breaks, sightseeing and cramming as much as I could into the time!

Even when I developed severe back pain and was getting very little sleep, I refused to give in to it, still went to work, still went to the gym etc. Then the fatigue and other symptoms developed...I still carried on...until I became so exhausted, I just couldn't function any more.

So I'm trying hard to change the habits of a lifetime...I'm trying to pace myself and not keep pushing on regardless...trying to listen to my body a bit more. So I stopped going to the gym, reduced my hours at work, just stopped 'doing' so much and started saying 'no' to people. It was about 6 months ago when I started this new approach, and I have to say I think it is working. I am generally feeling and looking better now. It is amazing how many people have said to me recently that I looked really ill and that it is good to see me looking so well now :)

I do get frustrated with my life sometimes, even though I try to stay positive. And I am hoping that I will be able to do a bit more in time...I would love to get back to the gym at some stage, although it is more likely to be a couple of times a week, rather than the 5 times I used to do ;-)

Anyway, it is good to know I'm not the only one who fits this 'overactive' description :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:36 pm

erm... I guess I'm the only one who disagrees with this :-?

I have never been an overactive person. oh, I used to do things that I can't do now, such as hillwalking and stuff, but I would never have described myself as having a busy active lifestyle.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:34 am

dazzleship wrote:erm... I guess I'm the only one who disagrees with this :-?

I have never been an overactive person. oh, I used to do things that I can't do now, such as hillwalking and stuff, but I would never have described myself as having a busy active lifestyle.

It is not so much a matter of disagreeing but of saying you don't fit the description :)

I don't think they are saying that you must have had an overactive lifestyle in order to get fibromyalgia, but just that it makes you more prone to developing it. I know there are other risk factors too - interestingly for me, I've read that having scoliosis is another thing which makes it more likely you will develop fibromyalgia. So it seems there are lots of different 'triggers' which can set it off...and not everyone will have the same trigger.

Interesting to hear people's views :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:54 pm

carolad wrote:

It is not so much a matter of disagreeing but of saying you don't fit the description :)

I don't think they are saying that you must have had an overactive lifestyle in order to get fibromyalgia, but just that it makes you more prone to developing it. I know there are other risk factors too - interestingly for me, I've read that having scoliosis is another thing which makes it more likely you will develop fibromyalgia. So it seems there are lots of different 'triggers' which can set it off...and not everyone will have the same trigger.

Interesting to hear people's views :)

I was going to post something very similar to what carol has said Dazzle. These theories behind FM are purely that, theories that have yet to be proved or disproved. And whilst anecdotal evidence may suggest that one possibility could be more likely than another, research could prove that such a theory is very wide of the mark, and it is in fact the one that the smaller number of people seemed to experience that is at the root of this particularly hurty evil. The fact that the majority seem to have had an overactive lifestyle is simply coincidental.

These thoughts and theories, no matter how different they may be, are all essential in providing possible areas for research into the condition, if your thoughts and ideas are different, then that is to the good as it could provide someone, somewhere along the way with a different aspect from which to look at the origins of FM.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Haha me neither, busy but lazy too! Me not you btw!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia