Flare up question

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flare up question

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:16 am

I just wanted to know what your longest flare up has been? I know we are all different. I just wanted a general view. My last huge one was back in Jan before I was diagnosed and on meds. Since then they have lasted for a day to maybe three days. I'm now on day 6 and its really annoying me! I've been doing housework with it and taking kids to school and hospital app etc. But I'm really struggling now. I tend to fight this thing head on so it currently feels like a huge battle. I tried to rest as much as I could yesterday, although I had to take my daughter to an app and I had to get bloods done to check my thyroid again. Getting frustrated! I feel like my mind wants to keep doing stuff but my body is saying :nono: :nono: :nono:
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Re: Flare up question

Postby juliekp » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:36 am

Hi. They can last a long time. U have to know when to stop and rest. Pace urself all the time. If u need to redt then rest and let ur body recover. Julie
juliekp
UKFM Member

Postby goldie » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:46 am

My longest flare up was from end f October 2012 until March 2013. At that time I never left the house. I seriously considered taking every pill I had in the house. Everyday was looking for the end of the tunnel and it took months. But since then only been a couple of days up till a month. Winter is always worst for me though and every day just waiting for it to Flare Up again.
goldie
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:33 pm

It can vary so much Theresa, not only from person~to~person, but also from flare~to~flare, which is one of FM's many, many frustrating "delights" it bestows upon us :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Just as you think you've got a grip on things, it lobs in something different and knocks you right back to the beginning again.

I have symptoms constantly, each varying in intensity. At times I have had periods where I have been flary for months at a time, with no easing off in anything at all, just constantly increasing until I get to a point where this then becomes my "norm" until the next increase in intensity rears its head.

Over the past 2~3 years tho, I have noticed a slight change back to a more noticeable flare~like behaviour, with slightly more pronounced changes in intensity, both upwards and downwards. These can last for a few days or a number of weeks, sometimes stretching into months. With each one tho, there has been a definite reducing in pain levels once it has passed its end point. They don't go back down to where they were pre~flare level, they always remain a little higher, but at least I can now spot when it has passed.

Like you, I originally would tackle it head on, which worked for a while. Unfortunately I found that, now matter how much I wanted to, that this approach wasn't sustainable in the long run, all of which added its effects to how far down into the abyss I dropped.

Pushing yourself to a degree is necessary, but so it working within the capabilities you now find yourself with. Whilst things are flary, do keep up with activities where possible, but don't do them for quite as long as you would normally. Go day~by~day and work with what you are able to do at that moment in time. If it's 5mins, then do 5mins and rest. If the next day is 10mins, then do 10mins and rest.

I've found out the hard way that pushing thru to completion, or until you reach the point where you think you should be working to will only pre~long the effects of a flare. And the more this happens, the quicker it can push you to the edge of the cliff and flick you down into the depths of the abyss, no matter how determined you may be not to let yourself go there.

If you can find ways to help you get thru a flare in the best way you can, the chances of finding yourself being pushed to that cliff edge can be reduced/slowed down. So if it means you don't hoover the house every day, ask a friend to take/collect the kids from school now and again, or have a freezer raid, throw it all in the oven type dinner a little more frequently, then that's what you go with at that moment in time.

Try and turn your annoyance into focussing on something more uplifting, relaxing or funny/smile inducing, whatever helps make you feel a little bit brighter, it can all help with riding out the more uncomfortable times :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate]
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:44 pm

goldie wrote:My longest flare up was from end f October 2012 until March 2013. At that time I never left the house. I seriously considered taking every pill I had in the house. Everyday was looking for the end of the tunnel and it took months. But since then only been a couple of days up till a month. Winter is always worst for me though and every day just waiting for it to Flare Up again.

Wow thats a long time x I don't have a choice but to take the kids to school which means waking up early. And at least some of the housework has to be done otherwise it'll be a tip. I will have to learn to pace during this time :(
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks FP x I only have the one friend and she works. Sad, isnt it? But I've only ever kept a handful of people around me since childhood. I'm like my mum, I like my own company! At worst I could ask my oldest to collect the youngest but she starts school before them so I will have to keep taking the, in. I will take your advice on board x I spoke to my nurse in the week and she too said to push through and rest. Find the balance. Sometimes I think I have the balance then I suddenly dont. We have recently redecorated downstairs and I've been pushing myself to keep the house looking good, as mess depresses me and gets me edgy. I need a clean house. Clean house, clean mind. Slightly obsessive :lol: :roll: I've been resting today on my heated mattress. Going out soon to a Panto. Hopefully the good vibes there will help uplift me somewhat :-D
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby LizzyMac » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:19 pm

Before I got my diagnosis, I sometimes had flares that lasted months.

Now I know a little better what to do (rest, eat, sleep, mild exercise if I can, hot baths, rest, rest, rest, and some pain meds as needed), sometimes they only last a day or two, but I still have times where I'm knocked back for a week or more, especially if I'm recovering from being sick or overdoing things.
LizzyMac
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:04 pm

That balance can change depending on how you are feeling, where you are, what is happening etc, so having an idea of what you manage at various times can be useful. And if in doubt, err on the side of caution, better to have a little bit left over you can use somewhere else than to run out part way thru.

I had similar concerns about school runs when my son needed taking and bringing back, and not too many friends around at that time either, so I understand your position with it. On the days I was doing it, I would make a list {sometimes mentally, sometimes paperly} and split it into am and pm and use it to work out what I was going to do, with the priority tasks at the top, do school run always came first and then I would organise other domestic goddessings around them, always trying to make sure I had a rest before needing to go for him. Not always 100% perfect, but it helped.

Freshly decorated rooms....lovely and clean and sparkling. Try and get a bit of a pacing groove going if you can. It's fiddly and faffy and makes it seem like you're not doing much at first, but when you find your rhythm, have been doing it for a while, and take a step or 2 back, it does become quite obvious just how much you have achieved by following your routine without {hopefully} zapping yourself too much along the way.

I always found Pantoes good for a real tear~running, rib~aching belly laugh, so go and enjoy it like only a big kid can!!!

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Gingermama » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:25 pm

What do people do to rest? I tend to sit on the sofa, iPad surfing... However my mum is constantly nagging me that this is wrong, I should be either up and about pottering around or sat on a dining room chair to improve my posture. I actually find sitting on a "proper" chair really uncomfortable, the pressure on my thighs causes spasms up and down.
I have explained this but she insists that my sofa is making me worse.... What do you guys think?

Personally I love my squishy sofa and use cushions etc to get comfy etc.

At the moment I seem to have pain everyday, at some point in my body. Some days bearable some days not. Does anyone actually have pain free days? I can't remember the last time I didn't have at least some kind of low level pain...
Gingermama
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:11 pm

I was told that rest has to be exactly that, a quite and relaxing period with no distractions. For things like TV, reading, looking on line etc, these all count as mental activities and should have their own bit in a pacing plan, as should rest.

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:20 pm

My flares so far have lasted a week (but with long lasting difficulty walking, so maybe it was several weeks really?) or a few days at a time. I'm still getting my head round what constitutes a flare, for me.

Gingermama wrote:What do people do to rest? I tend to sit on the sofa, iPad surfing... However my mum is constantly nagging me that this is wrong, I should be either up and about pottering around or sat on a dining room chair to improve my posture. I actually find sitting on a "proper" chair really uncomfortable, the pressure on my thighs causes spasms up and down.
I have explained this but she insists that my sofa is making me worse.... What do you guys think?

Personally I love my squishy sofa and use cushions etc to get comfy etc.

At the moment I seem to have pain everyday, at some point in my body. Some days bearable some days not. Does anyone actually have pain free days? I can't remember the last time I didn't have at least some kind of low level pain...

I do the same as you really, on the sofa, watching tv or on the tablet. We have no other chairs so it's either the sofa or lying in bed! I bought a very long pillow to prop up behind me so I can rest my neck - the sofa is too deep to do that without it. I do 'potter' naturally as I get up for the loo, to make a coffee/food, etc. So I don't actually sit still for a lot, and yes the pain is almost always there but is worse first and last thing for some reason. If I'm doing something I don't usually notice it as much.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:39 pm

I always rest after returning from the morning school run and before the afternoon run :-) Thats one thing I have stuck to. My rest is going on the ipad to play some games. I have been pushing myself pretty hard these last few weeks. God knows how I will handle moving house one day! I hope the flare finishes asap. I cant go on another week like this! :roll: :crazy:
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby redplanetgirl » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi from Australia, It seems we all have different flare ups, I can have a really bad one, in terms of intensity and length or smaller ones high in pain and also small ones with small amount of pain. Last really bad one lasted 6 weeks, I could hardly walk, it was almost as bad as when I was diagnosed, I rate them out of ten (as they do in hospital here) I live with a level 6 that's my base line everyday, out of ten, it can change to a level 7 - 8 then I take meds, level 9-10 go to hospital, sometimes level 4-5 thou not very often. A flare up can last 3-4 days at level 7, then go back to everyday level 6, which is constant with pain. I also have chronic fatigue so I rest a lot because I have to mainly on the lounge, I also love alone so its could be easier as there is no one to worry about anyoning.
redplanetgirl
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia