cramps and hand pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

cramps and hand pain

Postby reb1981 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:55 am

Hello, I am having strange cramps in my ribs, my calf feels like I have pulled it and it's been like that for well over a month now and I am having difficulty with my hands. I am having terrible pain in the palm of both of them. I work in an office and it's giving me spasms in both hands. Does anybody else have the same problems and if so what is your advice please
reb1981
UKFM Member

Re: cramps and hand pain

Postby Pamski » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:06 pm

I have really bad cramps in my right hand, at times my fingers curl into my palm. It's worse when I'm driving but is always there to some degree x
Pamski
UKFM Newbie

Postby natmac73 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi there...yeah since I've been diagnosed I've been getting constant sore hands and fingers..soon as I do any activity my fingers swell...I get stabbing pains in my palms and stiff fingers too...fine motor skills are getting worse..x
natmac73
UKFM Member

Postby Hayleyed » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi, I have been getting bizarre cramp in my hands. It's not in the palm of my hand, its in the top of my hand. It is like someone is grabbing all the little bones in the top of hand and crushing them. It mainly happens when I use my hands. I could be drying or washing my hair or even when I just pick something up off the floor. It starts off with a lot of pressure in my hands then the bone crushing starts. I have Joint Hypermobility Syndrome as well as Fibromyalgia so I didn't know if it was the Fibro of the Hypermobility or even something completely different.... Anyone else experience this?
Hayleyed
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:45 pm

Cramps and hand pain can, and do affect some of us at times. However, the problem may not be FM related, so having it checked out would be the sensible thing to do, even if it's just for your own peace of mind.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dazzleship » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:47 pm

hi

I often get pain in my calves which like you say, feels like the muscle is pulled. I don't really have any advice on what to do about it cos I just wait till it goes away :-) but yours has been going on a while. have you tried massaging it to 'loosen out' any knots? I find I get a lot of knots and lumps in my muscles and massaging them away can help.

as for your hands - well I think I have something similar. if I do a lot of writing I get terribly sore hands to the point where I just have to stop. things I would recommend are - chunky pens which are easier to hold and more comfortable. also see if you can get an occupational health assessment for your desk, cos you might find that your seat or desk is too high or too low and that could be making pains in your hands worse.

can you speak to your HR department? does your employer aware of your fibro?
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:28 am

I was told years ago that cramps are caused by lack of potassium, and to eat more banana's.....I know it sounds old wives etc., but I do eat them and I don't suffer from the cramps anymore.

just my two cents :)

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby redplanetgirl » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:02 am

Hi try magansuim tablets from the health store, I to get spasms in my writs and hands, when a flare up is coming on, and it stays but not as bad give them ago cant hurt and zinc can help too
redplanetgirl
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:19 pm

interesting theory about the bananas Queenie.. and I'm glad it's worked for you.. but it must be something that doesn't work for everyone. cos I eat a banana every day (not for any medical reason but just cos I like them and it's one of the few fruits I can eat :-) ) but I still suffer cramps.

wish they did work.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Siobhan.b » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:01 pm

Constant sore hands, and cramps that cripple me, I finds massaging my hands with cream two three times a day does ease pain . Gentle hugs
Siobhan.b
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia