finally got a date for my lidocaine infusion!!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

finally got a date for my lidocaine infusion!!

Postby animeemo3 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:47 am

Yay! My infusion date is the 18th of December! So exited and i hope it works for me, just one question for those who have had an infusion... Where do they put the needle? Crook of the arm or back of the hand? Would I be able to ask for it in the back of the hand? I have bad reactions to adhesives and would prefer it to be on the back of my hand, so I can keep an eye on it. Also, rough length of time estimate? The letter I got said possibly up to 5 hours! Phew lol got to go buy some slippers now, apparently I need them lol
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Re: finally got a date for my lidocaine infusion!!

Postby Hailes20 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:03 am

What is a lidocaine infusion please x
Hailes20
UKFM Newbie

Postby natmac73 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:06 am

Hey there...just wanted to know why you've gone on to Lidocaine and what you were on before. ......x best wishes
natmac73
UKFM Member

Postby Cazham30 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:21 am

Hi, I had my first lidocaine infusion a month ago. It honestly is nothing to worry about. They put it in the middle of my left hand. It's a normal canular with saline solution washed through. If you wear loose fitting clothes like I did you won't have to put on a hospital gown. I guess the slippers are for going to the loo if you've been forced to change. They attach you to a machine which measures your heart rate & blood pressure. The actual procedure took one hour for me but you're there longer with going through initial questionnaires, etc. We got a cup of tea and biscuits once my last obs were recorded as normal and left. It does make you very drowsy but that's the only side effect. I'm booked in for a repeat in February as it's helped me a lot! I forgot to say I struggled giving blood and this was easy even with my poor veins that never want to come up. Good luck!
Cazham30
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:28 am

I was offered this but said no for now because I wanted to see what other options i had first. I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes!

Cazham30 - what effect did it have for you?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby animeemo3 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Natmac73- previously I was on Tramadol and codeine/Cocodamol. Because I have had physio several times in the past, been on meds for quite a long time and the Tramadol wasn't very nice to me, they offered me the infusion.

Cazham30- thank you! It's nice to hear from someone that has had one done. One other question, the line in the back of the hand? Did they use tegaderm to secure it? Because I'm quite allergic to that lol
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby natmac73 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks for the reply....keep us posted! I too have become allergic to plasters!! Never used to be..I've been on codeine and now gabepentine. ..I see the pain clinic in January so I will see what's offered to me..best of luck x
natmac73
UKFM Member

Postby Roger Rabbit » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:20 pm

Have any of you been on any of the morphine patches before trying the infusion? What's the infusion doing for you?
I am on citalopram, pregabalin, paracetamol and tramadol and am in serious pain. Any normal activity at home now makes me physically sick from the pain so I take cyclizine. I am in a wheel chair to go out anywhere. Finally have an appointment with the pain clinic in 2 weeks time. I have been waiting 10 months. I am so nervous, I so need their help. I am determind to get as much info together, written down, (ha Brain fog) so that I have got all of my facts,
Roger Rabbit
UKFM Member

Postby Paisleyjane » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:03 pm

I go on the 17, for my first infusion. Have been on fentanyl patches for a year, but the pain clinic has put together a plan. Have started Tapentadol Parexia, then try stop the patches.Also to use paracetamol instead of cocodamol. Have infusion monthly for 5 months with trigger injections after 2nd and 3rd. Those I aren't looking forward to.
The pain clinic I go to were lovely, super consultant very thorough.
Fingers crossed for us this works. xxx
Paisleyjane
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:18 pm

Paisleyjane wrote:I go on the 17, for my first infusion. Have been on fentanyl patches for a year, but the pain clinic has put together a plan. Have started Tapentadol Parexia, then try stop the patches.Also to use paracetamol instead of cocodamol. Have infusion monthly for 5 months with trigger injections after 2nd and 3rd. Those I aren't looking forward to.
The pain clinic I go to were lovely, super consultant very thorough.
Fingers crossed for us this works. xxx

I am on Fentanyl and am being weaned off it after 8 years with the patches. I will be dropping 25mcg a month so it will take a while. How was your withdrawel? What !dose of patch did you use? I am nervous as I have over the 25 years tried so many things and only Fentanyl has given me relief. I tried trigger point injections as well as blocks. They don't last long though. I have never tried the lidocaine infusion. I am curious
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby stephdawn » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi guys. I really need some advice here after reading your posts. What is the infusion ? I've had this condition for nearly 14yrs now and have been on many different meds! At the moment I'm on paracetamol,gabapentin, diazepam ,amitripiline ,spoil one,Duloxitine,mitazipine and a few others due to having acute pancreatise this time last year and they are trying to sort out my diet. This has also caused me to have severe UBS and allergies toward all dairy and gluten products. I'm under the pain clinic and physio but only seen them twice and I'm not seeing them until the new yr. can some one PLEASE let me know and then maybe I can have a word with my gp. Thanks guys and take carexxx :yikes: :yikes:
stephdawn
UKFM Member

Postby stephdawn » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi animeemo3. I know I've written on this post the other week, but I haven't heard back :( . Please can you please explain about the infusion. I really don't understand about it and how I go about getting one. Do you know any one who has had this and what does it entail. Thank you very much and sorry to ask the same thing. I really look ford to hearing from you or anyone else. :-) xxx
stephdawn
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia