Eye problem. .....

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Eye problem. .....

Postby natmac73 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi everyone. ..just wondering if anyone has been suffering with any eye issues? I had a sight test today and was told my left pupil isn't dilating properly. ....I've been referred to my GP and wondered if it's fibromyalgia related or my medication gabepentine. ....which doesn't list this as a side effect and I've had headaches all week. ..a little worried. ... hope everyone is ok x
natmac73
UKFM Member

Re: Eye problem. .....

Postby Lyndyloo55 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:19 pm

I have visited the doctors today after a sudden nasty bout of double vision. I had my eyes tested and apart from a small tweak to my reading glasses there was nothing wrong. I asked my Dr if it could be Fibro related as I have suffered with it for about 12 years and he said no. Don't know if this is of any help. I am on Gabapentin....3x400. Sending hugs x
Lyndyloo55
UKFM Newbie

Postby natmac73 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Thanks for that....will let you all know in the new yr if it is Fibro related x
natmac73
UKFM Member

Postby Holemru3 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi, my left pupil also doesn't dialate either. My neurologist said it's miosis. This is how all my problems started, my fibro is up and down all day and I know when I'm going down because of my eye. It causes blurred vision and the worse my vision is the worst my fibro will be. I also have chronic daily migraine and M.E. Let us know what your doctor says as after 2 years and seeing all sorts of eye doctors it was the neurologist who diagnosed that.
Holemru3
UKFM Newbie

Postby zappa20 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:41 am

natmac73 wrote:Hi everyone. ..just wondering if anyone has been suffering with any eye issues? I had a sight test today and was told my left pupil isn't dilating properly. ....I've been referred to my GP and wondered if it's fibromyalgia related or my medication gabepentine. ....which doesn't list this as a side effect and I've had headaches all week. ..a little worried. ... hope everyone is ok x

Does your optician have a list of the medications you take including any painkillers. As some of these plus some ant depressants used for Fibro can cause this. Duloxetine can cause the opposite in some people ie enlarge the pupils.

If you are diabetic and have had this for several years, can also cause this via diabetic nerve damage.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:45 am

For me it is my right eye, even as I read this I was working hard to focus. I get pinpoints of light, double vision, loss of vision some days, where it is like someone is closing the ocular nerve from the outside in so I have tunnel vision, I have been told it is visual migraines. I saw my optician and listed all of this and he said my eyes were fine, even the backs, though a slight indicator of glaucoma which needs to be monitored, nothing is wrong with my actual eyes.

For me though, I wonder if this is all linked to the poisoning that left me in a coma in May, and is a neuro issue rather than a visual one. The visual migraines, which would be neuro, would indicate as much.

Always make sure that you take med lists with you though, no matter who it is you see. A lesson I learned with my daughter, as so many can cause issue that are not listed on the patient information sheet. Also, if one doctor does not know what you are on and adds something that could cause an interaction/side effect with another, then it is wise to have the list for comparative.

My coma taught me, you can never ask enough questions, nor clarify enough.

I hope this gets better for you.

On a side note, I do wonder if there are any studies related to fibro and visual issues...they are, after all, a big bundle of nerves and fibre.
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:47 pm

@ Queenie_70, i recall reading about this and apparently fibro does mess with our vision, sorry i don't remember where i read this but it wasn't too long ago but it does do a lot of different things to our eyes.

The tunnel thing is called an aura which usually precedes a migraine and sometimes i get it without a migraine.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby bekindtoyou » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi I have had many problems with my eyes .
Approximately three years ago I developed a visual blurring in my central vision.
I also developed symptoms of chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia and went on to be diagnosed with these.
I had many symptoms in my eyes cobwebs curtains coming from one side of my vision blocking out any light.
Flashing lights etc....
I went on to be diagnosed with chronic migraine with aura almost constant.
.my neurologist wasn't convinced all of my symptoms were from the migraine.
I have since been many times to see in ophthalmologist . They have diagnosed me with vitreo macular traction and a vitreo macular hole. Now relieved.
I also had a retinal tear which was treated with surgery. All painless and completed very quickly.
I would encourage anyone have flashing lights and cobwebs and curtainlike darks patches coming across their eyes to get them checked at a&e in case it is the signs of a retinal detachment.
Have a look on the RNIB website for signs and symptoms .
I still have many visual symptoms that can't be pinned on anything particular.
The local optician told me that he has treated several women with Fibromyalgia whose eyes turned in wards making their balance difficult.
Hope this helps.
bekindtoyou
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:46 pm

iblinkin wrote:@ Queenie_70, i recall reading about this and apparently fibro does mess with our vision, sorry i don't remember where i read this but it wasn't too long ago but it does do a lot of different things to our eyes.

The tunnel thing is called an aura which usually precedes a migraine and sometimes i get it without a migraine.

I have been diagnosed with migraine, quite a few years ago now. I saw a lovely lady who dilated my pupils and really had a good look at what was going on. It was a non-pain migraine, which I admit, I prefer to the others I get :)

The tunnel vision and blurriness though, do bother me regularly. I have also been told if you get flashing lights across your vision it is possibly a case of blood pressure...I guess it is linked which is why it tends to occur if you turn your head suddenly, stand or sit quickly...

I know that at my age my eyes are changing, but grrrr Fibro really takes the cake in annoying symptoms :)
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby bekindtoyou » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Life changing ar'nt they the symptoms..
I love painting and art work but have to go real steady to manage the visual stuff / migraine /Fatigue etc.
It's such a pain ..
bekindtoyou
UKFM Member

Postby debs67 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:53 pm

Would it be wise to go and have eyes checked again now i have fibro. Had them done 12months ago and my eyes had got worse since my last appointment. I do get like lines going across my one eye on times and the telly is blurry if trying to read things on there.
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby bekindtoyou » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:51 am

The hospital ophthalmologist suggests it's a good idea to get tested with an optician as they also look at the back of your eye for anything developing health wise.

I have been told to go to the opticians every 6 months due to the Vitreomacular Traction prob .. I wait for a reduced voucher to come through door.. Costs 10 pound once your in the system , this is with a well known chemist.

I found a man who knows about fibro and take any medical letters with me eye related/ migraines .
This prompts conversation too.

Think it's good to get checked.
bekindtoyou
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:41 pm

I had blurry eyes quite a lot in the early days, I have no idea if it was fibro related or not (I had some symptoms that weren't, it was just a fantastic coincidence). My GP told me to go and get checked by an optician, and despite having lots more floaters that I ever used to he said there was nothing wrong, and no deterioration.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby bekindtoyou » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:20 pm

That's really interesting. There is so much to this illness that possibly goes unchecked. It helps me to read when others have the same. And it's very positive that your sight has improved.
bekindtoyou
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:08 am

I was told years ago (have been diagnosed 26 years) that fibro affects your eyes. Fibro along with meds can change your vision.

I have to see an eye surgeon soon. When the Optician checked my eyes she dilated them and took pictures. What she showed me was something behind my eye that she suggested could be a tumor...great as I have had cancer already.

It is important to have eyes checked yearly even if you have no obvious changes or do not have fibro. Like anything else, preventive action is the key to healthy parts, LOL!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia