hereditary

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

hereditary

Postby debs67 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:41 pm

Is fibro hereditary in families or just a coinsedence that 3 of us all cousins have it .
debs67
UKFM Member

Re: hereditary

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:17 pm

I've read that it isnt hereditary but can happen within families. So perhaps its a coincidence. I don't have any family members with this condition x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby pj1943 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:53 pm

My Grandmother suffered what I would now say was similar symptoms and I have 2 cousins with fibro. One severe one not quite so bad. Another cousin has MS which is supposed to be connected so I would say it has come down my Grans line as all my cousins are daughters of my mothers sisters. Sounds complicated but not really. I am over 70 and my symptoms started in my 30's after a bout of severe flu. They are a lot worse now and I have finally been forced to give up golf after 50 playing at a high standard. Gutted!! :( :cry:
pj1943
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:01 am

I've heard that it can be hereditary all four of us kids seem to have it, my mum, my dad and my mum's mum all have many symptoms and I'm sure my daughter has it too.
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:42 am

Looking back I now realise that my father had it, and I'm certain my youngest son has it as well.
They also say it's not progressive, maybe not in the sense of other diseases, but I have collected many more symptoms since I was first diagnosed in the early 90's.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:16 am

There is supposed to be a familiar link and so many members have said it runs through their families so I would personally say is probably is
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby hazely » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:05 pm

here different thinks about it being hereditary and not I believe it is. my cousin has it I have it my son has it and my auntie and mum may have it too
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:58 pm

I firmly believe that fibro can be hereditary.

My Grandfather was diagnosed with 'fibrositis', my dear late father, although never diagnosed had all the symptoms of fibro.

One of my cousins and her daughter have fibro and I suspect that my eldest son who is 30 also has fibro, however he refuses to believe that he has it.

Fibro only appears to affect my late fathers side of the family.

My mums side of the family have a history of brain disorders, 4 of her family members have died from brain aneurisms, all before they were 40.

Mum also had 9 TIA's in one day when she was only 39, that was 38 years ago and the NHS still don't know what caused them.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:27 pm

Looking back think my mother had this but years ago it was not diagnosed like it is today , also my sister has it so I think there is a genetic link to it
kitten
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia