loss of use of hand

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

loss of use of hand

Postby debs67 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Everyday my right hand is getting weaker . Couldnt even hold a box of cornflakes without dropping it on floor. Is this how other people are with fibro
debs67
UKFM Member

Re: loss of use of hand

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:04 pm

Oh yes. There's some other posts on here about this, if you do a search (top middle) you'll find them. I regularly drop things, have trouble holding my knife and fork, they hurt/ache, driving can be awkward (luckily I have an auto with cruise control). I also have found it hard to squeeze things eg. hair dye or shower gel bottles.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby claudine1288 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:41 pm

My right hand as well seems to lose strength every day. At first, I thought it was because of a pinched ulnar nerve. It was operated on, and the surgeon told me it would take a long time (at least six to ten months) for the last two fingers to regain strength. But now, the rest of my hand appears equally weak. My left hand is better but nothing to rave about. Turning a key is awfully complicated now, and forget about unscrewing bottle caps. Along with the heat waves, the pain, the paralyzing fatigue which gets me into bed at least twice during the day, the edginess, the itching, the migraines, arthritis practically everywhere there is a joint, this last indignity is getting me down for good, mostly because I used to be a pianist and now my fingers seem useless. :cry:
claudine1288
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi debs67, are you doing any hand exercises for your hands? If not you should look into "yoga for your hands for fibro", you can find this on the net.

Daily stretching of your hands and your whole body is your new job and it must be done very, very gently and methodical. I will have a hot bath and do some stretching in there or afterwords as our body is now more relaxed from the hot water.

This does help and will take time so patience and diligence is very important.

Good luck and have the best X-mas you can. :-)
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:21 pm

It can be like this for some with FM at times. Do bear in mind that there could be a totally different non~FM~related reason behind the loss of strength in your hand, so having it checked out might be something to consider doing.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:50 pm

I was just cursing this morning. My hand doesnt feel weak but I do drop things way too much. I don't know what it is. Its like I'm holding it then it kind of slips through my fingers!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby debs67 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks iblinkin, i will have to try that . I have had xrays done on both my hands and it came back ostoarthritis in 4 fingers ( the nobbles on them gave it away lol ). That was done in october and then saw the consultant in december and said i had fibro too.
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:08 pm

I can sympathise with every one, my hands this past week have been awful ,can't bend them seem to stick in the middle joint and they are either hot or cold, grip has gone, found it hard even to hold a hair brush ,and as for peeling potatoes and carrots etc very very hard even to hold a paper to read, thumbs don't seem to have any strength in them , don't, know if it's the O/A, fibro or mayofascial pain , all I know is that they are so painful :(
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:35 pm

I went to see my GP about this on Friday... I took photographs of my swollen fingers (they were like big fat sausages) I explained about the numbness in my hands and the pain in my knuckles and told him I was worried it was O/A. He didn't even examine my hands, just said it's not O/A. I said OK back to the drawing board... He said, why would you want a disease.. WHAT???? I said, I thought if it was O/A there may be another type of medication that could help. He made me feel such a fool!

I then went on to say, I was wondering if it would be possible to be referred to the pain clinic? OH NO, it's far too early for that!
I explained the Tramadol is not even taking the head off the pain... He just looked at me blankly.

So clearly 4 years is too early. I just don't get it? Anyway I've decided I'm not going back, what's the point, the man's a fool. I'll will just carry on getting my meds on repeat as usual.

Sorry for rant, just had to get it off my chest.
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby debs67 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:07 pm

As soon as my consultant saw my hands he told me i had O/A. Did go and see my gp as well who sent me for xrays to confirm it. I am lucky that i have got fab doctors , any problems i just go back and see them.
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Charmed
I got the same reaction with my gp moved down to West Wales last year and only seen the gp three times each time I have asked if he could give me something for my hands 0/A can't take ibuprofen or any thing like that (acid reflux) all I can seem to take is codeine and that is having no effect at , the knuckles are so swollen that they are rubbing against each other , his reply no can't give you anything for them put a plaster round the knuckles ,( my expression must have been enough ,) sorry, all the best , be a long time before I go to see him again , will just keep putting my rep prescription , and see how long it takes before he see me again
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:22 am

Hi Kitten,

It's ridiculous. Where are we meant to turn for help! Sorry to hear you're going through the same thing with your GP. I think even if I had Chickenpox, my doctor would put it down to Fibro.

I'm having a look online at other surgeries, can't go on like this. Maybe I will find a GP that cares, at the moment I think they are just a load of Quacks. Pity we can't interview doctors until we find one that's understanding lol.

Gentle Hugs xx
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Wonder if the two doc are related Charmed
like the old saying keep taking the tablets , but in our case seems there is no option :(
kitten
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia