Is there anything that helps the condition????

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is there anything that helps the condition????

Postby cacran » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:47 pm

I was diagnosed with this condition approx. 10 years ago. It is getting worse. I take so much medication, I feel as though I should rattle!
I sometimes feel like ditching it all, and seeing what I am left with. It is not recommended by the doctor though.

I can't remember feeling normal, or even what normal feels like, anymore.

Has any one found anything that helps?

I would really like to chat with other sufferers in my area. I feel as though it is only happening to me, but it is obviously, not the case. :(
cacran
UKFM Member

Re: Is there anything that helps the condition????

Postby katherine244 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:12 pm

Ah, same here....almost exactly in fact down to the diagnosis 10 years ago and everything.
Where are you?
The only time I feel better is if I am actually asleep (rare I know) because I can't feel anything until it wakes me again!!!
katherine244
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:51 pm

I ditched all the medication one by one, but i am a staff nurse, and after 6 weeks with just about nothing i now take Cocodamol 30/500 x2 up to 4x a days but usually 3 and Pantoprazole for my odd stomach and Duloxetine.

I also meditate twice a day and make sure i stay hydrated, as i find the pain worse when i am dehydrated.

Planning on trying to restart yoga in the new year not done any for over 4 years now, but i believe it is about doing something rather than doing nothing.

I have had to give up work due to a major fall, the fibro, the depression, etc, etc, etc...

wean yourself off one pill at once - so three doses a day become two and then maybe a week later 1 and then a week later none and see what happens before you start with the next one. Stopping some of these pills can cause bad withdrawal so do it slowly and if after 6 weeks with no pills you feel you need something then start the one pill you think will help and go from there.

Dont stop any medication prescribed for any other condition though, such as diabetes or heart disease for example.

Good luck beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Dee Dee » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:28 am

I was told walking and doing gentle exercise in a heated pool helps. Although, I haven't tried the pool, I do walk my dogs twice a day.
There will be days when I really struggle to get out of bed but I know I must to feed and walk the dogs. I find that walking twice a day does help ease the pain. And watching my dogs having a good time racing around the park is an added benefit!
Dee Dee
UKFM Newbie

Postby cacran » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:57 am

Dee Dee wrote:I was told walking and doing gentle exercise in a heated pool helps. Although, I haven't tried the pool, I do walk my dogs twice a day.
There will be days when I really struggle to get out of bed but I know I must to feed and walk the dogs. I find that walking twice a day does help ease the pain. And watching my dogs having a good time racing around the park is an added benefit!

I was told to go swimming. I went a couple of times, but over did it and was really poorly. I don't do things by halves, once started, so I am my own worst enemy.

I have a dog too. She's a comfort to me but she pulls like hell on the lead ( a Beagle trait, I am afraid!!!) I work at a school as Senior Lunchtime Supervisor during term time. I rally round for work, the distraction of my duties helps me to forget the pain. When I get home, I am zonked.

My husband then feels that I put everything into work, and not much into home life. During the holidays, I seem to feel worse.
cacran
UKFM Member

Postby cacran » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:02 am

katherine244 wrote:Ah, same here....almost exactly in fact down to the diagnosis 10 years ago and everything.
Where are you?
The only time I feel better is if I am actually asleep (rare I know) because I can't feel anything until it wakes me again!!!

I live in Bradford, West Yorkshire. Where do you live?

I am like you, sleep is my respite. Daytime sleep seems to be best. I have awful nightmares at night, and a lot of pain.
cacran
UKFM Member

Postby cacran » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:22 am

migrembe wrote:I ditched all the medication one by one, but i am a staff nurse, and after 6 weeks with just about nothing i now take Cocodamol 30/500 x2 up to 4x a days but usually 3 and Pantoprazole for my odd stomach and Duloxetine.

I also meditate twice a day and make sure i stay hydrated, as i find the pain worse when i am dehydrated.

Planning on trying to restart yoga in the new year not done any for over 4 years now, but i believe it is about doing something rather than doing nothing.

I have had to give up work due to a major fall, the fibro, the depression, etc, etc, etc...

wean yourself off one pill at once - so three doses a day become two and then maybe a week later 1 and then a week later none and see what happens before you start with the next one. Stopping some of these pills can cause bad withdrawal so do it slowly and if after 6 weeks with no pills you feel you need something then start the one pill you think will help and go from there.

Dont stop any medication prescribed for any other condition though, such as diabetes or heart disease for example.

Good luck beverley x

I take medication for Acid Reflux, High Blood Pressure, High Cholestrol, IBS, Depression and Thyroxine. I am not sure I can do without any of those, safely. I take 3x Gabapentin 300mg a day and 2x Co cododamol 30/500 4 times a day. These last two have only been a recent addition.

I am 59 and have used these tablets for a long time, with slight adjustments from time to time following blood tests etc. The doctor says I need them. I worry about their interaction. I have asked doctors and chemist and they seem no to think it is a problem.

I seem to catch every bug going and can't fight them off. I have had,this years type of, flu for three weeks now and am still suffering. I did have a fall at work two weeks ago, which set me back a lot though. I was knocked over by a bunch of 7 year olds, felt as though I had been hit by a bus, fell right on to my face. Every bit of me was affected.
cacran
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:15 pm

cacran wrote:
I take medication for Acid Reflux, High Blood Pressure, High Cholestrol, IBS, Depression and Thyroxine. I am not sure I can do without any of those, safely. I take 3x Gabapentin 300mg a day and 2x Co cododamol 30/500 4 times a day. These last two have only been a recent addition.

I am 59 and have used these tablets for a long time, with slight adjustments from time to time following blood tests etc. The doctor says I need them. I worry about their interaction. I have asked doctors and chemist and they seem no to think it is a problem.

I seem to catch every bug going and can't fight them off. I have had,this years type of, flu for three weeks now and am still suffering. I did have a fall at work two weeks ago, which set me back a lot though. I was knocked over by a bunch of 7 year olds, felt as though I had been hit by a bus, fell right on to my face. Every bit of me was affected.

If you cannot change the medication you are on, what else can you change instead? Have you thought about acupuncture, meditation, inner healing or even change your diet, not that i know what kind of diet you have, but when the fibro is bad then so is my diet -high blood pressure and a raised cholesterol can often be lowered with change in life style. You say you work, can you work less hours or just in a different way. I am guessing you work in a school if you have contact with a bunch of 7 year old?

I'm in Bradford too.
Last edited by migrembe on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby cacran » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:10 pm

I guess I could try something different, my diet is not brill, but I don't seem to have much of an appetite, then I eat rubbish. I am overweight though.
Have you tried any alternative therapy? If so, how did they fare?

Where in Bradford are you? I am in Low Moor.
cacran
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:32 am

Please be careful regarding personal information especially on the main part of the forum, use the private message function as the site is open so anyone can see your details. Take care and be safe :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Polaris » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Using 'Star Wars' as a metaphor, coping with Fibromyalgia (FMS) requires bringing balance to 'The Force'. Gentle exercise is good but excessive exercise puts you off balance and takes you hurling toward the dark side. We may awake feeling a bit Wookie but a little stretch and waving a very light sabre may help. A Luke warm swimming pool is beneficial but you must build up slowly as with everything. Pacing is very important so you don't overdo things on the good days which is far easier said than done when you're trying to catch up with everything you've not be able to do. As FMS is an hypersensitivity disorder and affects the immune system you can get a flu jab on the NHS as can anyone who helps provide care. I've had no problems with flu jabs but they aren't a cure all for every bug that is around this time of year.

FMS does have different levels and those who have full blown FMS will obviously suffer more symptoms. I become a bit of a hermit during the winter months and look forward to the spring. I expect, somewhat ironically, that people with FMS will be some of the few to benefit from global warming. The milder winters have certainly benefited me so far. Having said that I've had to fight off an infection over Xmas so the last few days have been pretty painful and miserable but I know in a day or two things will be better.
Polaris
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm going to try meditation and possibly yoga, as well as hydrotherapy, in the new year. I'm hoping something works! I'm also going back to see the pain clinic to learn about pacing/relaxation techniques, cbt for the pain and hoping my GP will let me try another type of painkiller as Gaby isn't doing much anymore.

cacran wrote:I have a dog too. She's a comfort to me but she pulls like hell on the lead ( a Beagle trait, I am afraid!!!) .

I really want a beagle!! Are they really demanding, walk wise? That's what is making me nervous about getting one. It's that or a daschund at the moment.

Do you have any pics?!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby cacran » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:57 pm

Zia2014 wrote:I'm going to try meditation and possibly yoga, as well as hydrotherapy, in the new year. I'm hoping something works! I'm also going back to see the pain clinic to learn about pacing/relaxation techniques, cbt for the pain and hoping my GP will let me try another type of painkiller as Gaby isn't doing much anymore.

cacran wrote:I have a dog too. She's a comfort to me but she pulls like hell on the lead ( a Beagle trait, I am afraid!!!) .

I really want a beagle!! Are they really demanding, walk wise? That's what is making me nervous about getting one. It's that or a daschund at the moment.

Do you have any pics?!

Sorry, don't do pictures.

Do not get a Beagle. I love them, this is my third. I had the other two when I was younger. Then got a rescue Collie type dog. When that died, I wanted to get a lap dog, one that I could cope with. My husband and son wanted another Beagle so I let my heart rule my head, and got one. They are very demanding, strong willed dogs. They always have their noses to the ground, are always scavaging and really pull on the lead. Do get a Dashound. My parents have had two over the years. One short haired and one long. I liked the short haired one best as less to brush. They are comical little dogs. The only thing you have to be aware of, is that they get bad back trouble. Due to short legs and long body. They should not climb stairs or climb on to chairs etc. so need lifting, to avoid that problem.
cacran
UKFM Member

Postby cacran » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:05 pm

Polaris wrote:Using 'Star Wars' as a metaphor, coping with Fibromyalgia (FMS) requires bringing balance to 'The Force'. Gentle exercise is good but excessive exercise puts you off balance and takes you hurling toward the dark side. We may awake feeling a bit Wookie but a little stretch and waving a very light sabre may help. A Luke warm swimming pool is beneficial but you must build up slowly as with everything. Pacing is very important so you don't overdo things on the good days which is far easier said than done when you're trying to catch up with everything you've not be able to do. As FMS is an hypersensitivity disorder and affects the immune system you can get a flu jab on the NHS as can anyone who helps provide care. I've had no problems with flu jabs but they aren't a cure all for every bug that is around this time of year.

FMS does have different levels and those who have full blown FMS will obviously suffer more symptoms. I become a bit of a hermit during the winter months and look forward to the spring. I expect, somewhat ironically, that people with FMS will be some of the few to benefit from global warming. The milder winters have certainly benefited me so far. Having said that I've had to fight off an infection over Xmas so the last few days have been pretty painful and miserable but I know in a day or two things will be better.

I don't know if the cold affects me. I just seem to flare up willy nilly, without a pattern. I do seem to be getting worse as I get older. I have been poorly over Christmas too. Had that flu type of illness where I had a very sore throat. It started at the beginning of December and still remains. I don't easily recover from infections. I really feel that I should be given anti biotics when I start being poorly but my GP's don't seem to believe that I have an immune system problem. I don't get a flu jab as about 5 years ago I had the jab and was so ill after it, that it has put me off.
cacran
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:29 am

Hi, I was also diagnosed 10ish years ago and have tried lots of things with varying results, the main thing that I find helpful so far is to cut out caffeine, gentle walking with my dog, getting a good nights sleep where possible and gentle stretches

My niece has a dashund and he is lovely, not too demanding walk wise but can walk long enough distances to join in with your exercise,good luck :-D
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia