Is there anything that helps the condition????

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Is there anything that helps the condition????

Postby madchickenlady » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:34 am

cacran wrote:
Zia2014 wrote:I'm going to try meditation and possibly yoga, as well as hydrotherapy, in the new year. I'm hoping something works! I'm also going back to see the pain clinic to learn about pacing/relaxation techniques, cbt for the pain and hoping my GP will let me try another type of painkiller as Gaby isn't doing much anymore.

cacran wrote:I have a dog too. She's a comfort to me but she pulls like hell on the lead ( a Beagle trait, I am afraid!!!) .

I really want a beagle!! Are they really demanding, walk wise? That's what is making me nervous about getting one. It's that or a daschund at the moment.

Do you have any pics?!

Sorry, don't do pictures.

Do not get a Beagle. I love them, this is my third. I had the other two when I was younger. Then got a rescue Collie type dog. When that died, I wanted to get a lap dog, one that I could cope with. My husband and son wanted another Beagle so I let my heart rule my head, and got one. They are very demanding, strong willed dogs. They always have their noses to the ground, are always scavaging and really pull on the lead. Do get a Dashound. My parents have had two over the years. One short haired and one long. I liked the short haired one best as less to brush. They are comical little dogs. The only thing you have to be aware of, is that they get bad back trouble. Due to short legs and long body. They should not climb stairs or climb on to chairs etc. so need lifting, to avoid that problem.

Hi, have you tried a canny collar on your dog, my dog is a patterdale cross who also pulls and someone recommended this collar to me and it works a treat,it's similar to a halti but has a collar and loop so it won't come off, some dogs fight it when you first use it but I was lucky with mine and she took too it straight away, I can now walk her without hurting myself in the process :-)
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:34 pm

cacran wrote:Sorry, don't do pictures.

Do not get a Beagle. I love them, this is my third. I had the other two when I was younger. Then got a rescue Collie type dog. When that died, I wanted to get a lap dog, one that I could cope with. My husband and son wanted another Beagle so I let my heart rule my head, and got one. They are very demanding, strong willed dogs. They always have their noses to the ground, are always scavaging and really pull on the lead. Do get a Dashound. My parents have had two over the years. One short haired and one long. I liked the short haired one best as less to brush. They are comical little dogs. The only thing you have to be aware of, is that they get bad back trouble. Due to short legs and long body. They should not climb stairs or climb on to chairs etc. so need lifting, to avoid that problem.

Ah okay. I love seeing photos, I live vicariously through other people's dogs :-D Our house just isn't suitable so I have to wait til we move - and me going part time/unemployed has put that date right back. So it looks like I'll be waiting at least a year now til we can get one :( I've never had a pet and would just adore one.

Thanks for the tips. I have always wanted a beagle but my OH wants a daschund, so I guess he wins then!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:35 pm

madchickenlady wrote:My niece has a dashund and he is lovely, not too demanding walk wise but can walk long enough distances to join in with your exercise,good luck :-D

Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby cacran » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:28 pm

madchickenlady wrote:Hi, I was also diagnosed 10ish years ago and have tried lots of things with varying results, the main thing that I find helpful so far is to cut out caffeine, gentle walking with my dog, getting a good nights sleep where possible and gentle stretches

My niece has a dashund and he is lovely, not too demanding walk wise but can walk long enough distances to join in with your exercise,good luck :-D

Thank you, Madchickenlady. Do you like chickens?????
cacran
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia