Food triggers

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Food triggers

Postby madchickenlady » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:53 am

Hi everyone,I havent been here for a while what with Christmas and everything, I hope you are all doing ok and had a good time, I have a question about food, do any of you notice a trigger with certain foods

I have cut out caffeine and have noticed an improvement in my pain levels, up until today I have been not pain free but it's controlable, anyways woke up this morning at 4am in absolute agony so I had to take the day off work, I had severe pain everywhere so took my usual codeine and paracetamol dose which did help

I'm now trying to figure out what caused this sudden increase in pain and I am wondering if it's food or the fact that I went on a cleaning frenzy at work on Saturday although most of that was done sitting down and I felt ok yesterday apart from feeling quite tired

I ate a lot of chocolate in the form of sweets and some Yule log yesterday, the only other thing I ate that was out of the ordinary was some sweet pickled onions

I am peed off because I will probably get a written warning at work now as I am being formally monitored and that was the next step, I was doing so well as well
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Re: Food triggers

Postby Dodz » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:26 am

Hi madchickenlady
I would suggest keeping a food diary and noting any differences in pain levels, fatigue and fogginess. I discovered that a major food trigger for me is fruit, peppers and tomatoes being the worst but nearly all fruit (except bananas or very ripe peeled pear) increase my pain levels noticably, since cutting fruit out Imy fibro has been much more manageable. I've discovered that I'm probably salicylate intolerant as I can't use body products that contain them either, if I use a conditioner that contains benzyl or sodum salicylate (a common ingreditent) my scalp burns etc. Fibro does seem to make us more likely to have allergies/intolerances. With my intolerancs it tends to be the day after I've consumed something that I feel it's affects. It's a difficult time of year with all the treats and chocs about to start a food diary but maybe something for the new year?
Good luck at work - remember fibro is a disabliity so they have to make 'reasonable adjustments' to help you continue to work etc
Dodz
UKFM Newbie

Postby libbiek30 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:22 pm

I have been gluten free for about 6 weeks now and its made massive different. I don't feel so sluggish and not as much pain. My ibs was muchbetter untill xmas with all the rich food. I am also starting acupuncture this week and have found this helpful before. Its definitely worth
Elliminating foods and see if it helps. Good luck :-D t
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:03 pm

Dodz wrote:Hi madchickenlady
I would suggest keeping a food diary and noting any differences in pain levels, fatigue and fogginess. I discovered that a major food trigger for me is fruit, peppers and tomatoes being the worst but nearly all fruit (except bananas or very ripe peeled pear) increase my pain levels noticably, since cutting fruit out Imy fibro has been much more manageable. I've discovered that I'm probably salicylate intolerant as I can't use body products that contain them either, if I use a conditioner that contains benzyl or sodum salicylate (a common ingreditent) my scalp burns etc. Fibro does seem to make us more likely to have allergies/intolerances. With my intolerancs it tends to be the day after I've consumed something that I feel it's affects. It's a difficult time of year with all the treats and chocs about to start a food diary but maybe something for the new year?
Good luck at work - remember fibro is a disabliity so they have to make 'reasonable adjustments' to help you continue to work etc

Hi, thanks for your reply a food diary is a good idea that I hadn't thought of, I know caffeine causes me problems and definitely MSG so I avoid these but I'm not sure about anything else, I will give it a go and see what it shows :-D
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby madchickenlady » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:09 pm

libbiek30 wrote:I have been gluten free for about 6 weeks now and its made massive different. I don't feel so sluggish and not as much pain. My ibs was muchbetter untill xmas with all the rich food. I am also starting acupuncture this week and have found this helpful before. Its definitely worth
Elliminating foods and see if it helps. Good luck :-D t

Hi, I went gluten free a few months ago for about 3 months, i noticed an increase in energy but my pain levels stayed the same, I didnt get so bloated though so that was good, I am now restricting foods containing gluten rather than cutting it out completely,cutting out caffeine has had the biggest benefit so far, I'm just wondering if it was eating too much chocolate that triggered this flare,the pain I am in seems disproportionate to the amount of chocolate I ate though, I'm definitely going to keep a food diary to see if it shows anything up :-)
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:20 am

For the four years before i was diagnosed i had changed my diet to a 90% organic vegetarian diet and although it didn't do much for the Fibro i did lose 8 stone in weight.

Now i found anything high sugar or soya or unpronounceable ingredients tend to set things off, but the Fibro is pretty bad for me anyway, it is almost like my mind can't cope with what going on any more.

Don't drink anything with caffeine in but i do like a bit of chocolate.

If you think you are food intolerant you should get tested properly you may find that it's not the gluten it's soya - sorry they use soya flour and/or emulsifier in just about any prepared food including bread these days including the expensive supposed to be good for you kind.

Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby pedaller » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:09 pm

although it didn't help my fibro pain much I did have more energy and didn't feel soo groggy when cutting out the choc
pedaller
UKFM Newbie

Postby Charmed » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:28 pm

Interesting :-)

I intend to start a STRICT diet on the 3rd, as getting married in 6 months... lets hope it helps the pain levels :fingerscrossed:
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:42 pm

I have been reading a lot recently about sugar being one of the main causes of inflammation. I'm already on a restricted diet because I am a gluten-free vegetarian but I am trying to cut down my sugar intake to see if it makes any difference. A food diary is a good idea, because it is difficult to remember everything you have eaten! Something to bear in mind is that food intolerances can take up to 24 hours to show symptoms, unlike allergies which cause an instant reaction.

I don't think it is possible to get an accurate test for food intolerances - I think the only way to do it is just to cut things out of your diet and see how it makes you feel.

Good luck with it!
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby MissGems73 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:11 am

after reading a few forums and chatting with my Dr i started a food diary and started cutting things out, anything with high level of food colouring red peppers ( i can eat green and yellow peppers though) caffeine fizzy drinks especially coke and pepsi.

Dodz it was interesting reading that you have to be careful with conditioners, for years i've been swapping and changing shampoo and conditioners because they burn my scalp some straight away some after a few uses, so will try and find one with little or no benzyl or sodium salicylate. dont know how easy thats gonna be so if you have any suggestions i would be grateful.

:)
MissGems73
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia