Has anyone had a Blue Badge phone assessment?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Has anyone had a Blue Badge phone assessment?

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:55 pm

I've just arranged this for Friday, having submitted an online application to my local council. I've put that it's a variable condition and I wouldn't always need to use the BB spaces, as someone on here did I think, but now I'm nervous they are going to turn me down. They also say they might contact my GP so I told him this morning, and he seemed surprised that I would need one. I'm not sure he would endorse my application tbh :(
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Re: Has anyone had a Blue Badge phone assessment?

Postby goldie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:11 pm

I have Fibro and was awarded a Blue Badge for 3 years this August :) I had to go to the council office and was given an assessment - luckily was having a bad day and my son had to drive me. Them applied for PIP and waiting for assessment gl
goldie
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ren22 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:14 pm

I'm surprised you are having a phone assessment because the assessor has to see you walk. I have a blue badge but have and ankle injury from a head on car crash in 2002 and I've got my badge for that although on bad day Fibro sufferers do need as much help as they can get including disabled spaces. Just remember to state your worst days because they are cutting down on who they issue and renew to xx
Ren22
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks both.

Ren22 wrote:I'm surprised you are having a phone assessment because the assessor has to see you walk.

Believe me, that was my surprise too! Especially cos I was near the council house today and could have popped in...slowly ;-)

On my worst days I can't even get out of bed let alone drive or walk, so I'm not sure if I should say that?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby hazely » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:40 pm

I have fibro plus other stuff but got my blue badge no assessment just did online form and badge came in post and I don't get pip or any disability benefits
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:30 pm

I think different areas have different rules. About a year after my diagnosis, living in Swindon, the doctor asked me how I coped with shopping (I take it slowly was the answer and only use small trolleys and sometimes stop for a sit down between loading my bags and going yo the car) she said I should apply for a blue badge as people with far fewer problems than me had them. I applied, was sent a firm which the doctor signed and got the blue badge. I had it for three years but, in the meantime moved to Cambridgeshire. When three years were up I asked at doc's and was told to look online . Nothing doing, I had to have a phone assessment and for every question I said, ' on a bad day I can do.....'
- 'what about a good day?' She asked. 'Few and far between but can do more of whatever but always have pain in my hips' .
Then, 'how far could I walk?'
' Hmm, not sure, I've worked out my almost daily walk to the local shops is around half a km, then I rest before returning'
'. How far is that? She asked, 'is it like the length of a football pitch?'
I didn't know, but when she asked about a swimming pool, I thoughtI could certainly walk the length of my local public pool. butI thought that was only about 25m, but she didn't know. When I said it was half a kilometre she said that I wasn't eligible, even though I reminded her I was constantly in pain and usually had to rest and on days I could walk that distance I did, so didn't use the car and furthermore many disabled spaces were about that distance from the nearest shops in my nearest towns she said no, that only people who couldn't walk 50 metres were eligible..... She said I could appeal but she made me feel like I was a scrounger.
I think assessments are really variable around the country and I found telling her I only used the disabled spaces when I needed them mDe no difference. She said they couldn't believe everyone who said that....
Good luck, maybe answering for general days - well enough to go out in the car. Will do it. Fingers crossed
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:40 pm

Thanks scoke. I'm worried that's how my assessment is going to go, tbh! I'm nothing if not honest and if I could try to walk it then I would! But having to walk further/the difficulty of getting out of my car in the first place means a lot of effort goes on that before I even get to anything, so a BB would really help. But I also know that I'm not as bad as a lot of people and that makes me feel like a bit of a fraud even applying for one :oops:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby scoke » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:44 pm

Exactly - that's how I feel. When i did have one, if I felt myself being watched/judged when I got out of the car I always felt guilty. Though no one ever tackled me verbally once they saw me get out and start walking as it takes me a while to haul myself out and I really hobble for a while until my stiffness wears off. Almost always by the time I return to the car I am walking badly and struggle to get back in so I knew I shouldn't feel guilty but I did, though I never used the disabled spaces when I didn't really need to...
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:11 pm

just wanted to say good luck Zia :hugs:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks dazz. I've just checked on their website and they only call people if they don't meet the criteria. Which, considering what I've written in the form, is annoying. I'm now really nervous as I don't think I'll get it.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:41 pm

Oh my, he approved it!! I was making all these notes thinking he was going to turn me down for sure. Bizarrely he lives in the same village as me so he could describe walking from the car park to the particular shop and that helped me (I am no good at distances)!

First good news of 2015, what a relief!

Now I have to find a non-dreadful photo of myself...GULP!! :yikes:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:42 pm

Oh and I completely forgot on my form to include my knee problems..what a muppet! :oops: :mrgreen:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:32 pm

oh well done Zia that's good news I'm pleased for you :-D :hugs:

I am still avoiding applying for mine mainly cos of the fact that here in Scotland the criteria is stricter ('virtually unable to walk') - it doesn't seem like they take into account the constant pain or fatigue :roll:

so I'm convinced I won't get it. and I don't want to be turned down, I don't take rejection very well. :-? :-|
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:43 pm

That's why I was worried about my application, dazzle. I'm surprised the criteria are so strict up there! I thought I would try this first, and then consider PIP (seen as I didn't get the job). I can only cope with one application at a time :oops:

I really didn't think I would get mine but of course I forgot about my knees and my vertigo, I didn't mention them at all in my application so it's lucky he called me!

I was just looking at what it means here and you can park on double yellow lines!! :yikes: I don't think I'd ever feel right doing that, tbh. You still have to pay at all car parks (you didn't until 2013 here) but that's fine, I wasn't expecting anything different. I can also park in resident permit only areas, a few of which will be useful to me, and of course there are the disabled bays at supermarkets which will be bloody invaluable.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:00 pm

hiya

it's just typical Scotland, they always have to do things differently to England :mrgreen: it's completely daft. it's not like my mobility suddenly gets worse if I go south of the border, yet down there I'd have more chance of getting one. :roll:

ive heard about being able to park on double yellow lines but like you I wouldnt dream of doing so. if I had one it would just mean being able to park in the disabled spaces so I'd (a) have room to get me crutches or wheelchair out, and (b) not be so exhausted just getting from the car park to my destination. *wistful sigh*

but I'm really pleased for you :-D hopefully it arrives in the post soon
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia