Lack of pain!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Lack of pain!

Postby MagicWriter2014 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:30 am

Reading a lot of different forums, most people seem to be suffering from excruciating pain, whereas I am finding the fatigue the worst symptom, because when I am tired I cannot think straight. I do get pain, but most of the time it is a dull, always there in the background type of pain with occasional flare ups of pain in a particular area which lasts for varying times. Am I strange or do others with Fibro have similar problems? Thanks.
MagicWriter2014
UKFM Newbie

Re: Lack of pain!

Postby Mini » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:33 am

I know where you are coming from, I suffer more with the fatigue, can cope with the pain I do get. Been having a "fatigue " flare up since July and cannot seem to get out of it, so I do sympathise
Mini
UKFM Member

Postby lynlyn1212 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:14 am

Not strange. We're all odd because fibro is odd. Fatigue often hits me but mainly it is the pain that stops me thinking clearly. I get brain fog a lot. I often have total lack of motivation which I don't really know if it is fatigue or depression at times. I spend a lot of time thinking about doing things before being able to actually do it. Pain is the bit other people can relate more to and those without fibro don't understand the rest.
lynlyn1212
UKFM Member

Postby Polaris » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:50 am

Pain is a major aspect of Fibromyalgia (FMS) but not so much with ME (Chronic Fatigue). They are very similar and it is possible to have both. It might be that you actually have ME or a mild form of FMS. I for one have never had a pain free day; there is always background pain or pain somewhere in my body.

Many years ago I saw some statistics on the US Center for Disease Control website that suggested that around 75% of people with ME will develop FMS while only 25% of people with FMS will develop ME.
Polaris
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:14 am

I have FMS and CFS (ME) the pain can be (kinda) treated with pills but the fatigue is beyond me all the time.

Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby redplanetgirl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:57 am

Hi yes Im the same, the fatigue is awful. I was also digasoned with chronic fatigue, even after rest its no better, can't do anything either as the fatigue is worse after small amounts of activity, the pain is worse at times but neither ever leaves
redplanetgirl
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:25 am

I would say my pain is similar to yours MagicWriter, in that most of the time it is there in the background (I'm in pain every day but it doesn't always stop me from doing things). the fatigue can be very crushing and I hate it more than the pain in some ways.

I do get excruciating pain from time to time, for example in my lower back if I stand up for more than four or five minutes. and lately my joint pain is getting worse and worse, I've had several days this last week where I'm crying just because of pain in my ankle. :(

so yeah, I think we are different when it comes to pain and how it affects us. you're certainly not alone in how you experience things. it doesn't mean you have 'less' fibro.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby MilYvieMum » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:21 pm

I have Fibro plus chronic pain syndrome and chronic fatigue syndrome. The original neuro I saw said that people either have Fibro with CFS or fibro with CPS and very few have both. The medical profession describe what is wrong with me and most fibro sufferers by putting the fatigue or pain element first and then the fibro.

My notes say I have CPS (this is my worse symptom) CFS (this is less of a problem than the pain) and Functional Neurological Disorder (Fibro because the neurologist is a prat and doesn't believe FMS exists, which is a long story and involves court action for reasons I can't go into)

Fatigue and pain are problems for every one with FMS it depends on which one is worse.
MilYvieMum
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:30 pm

I switch between pain and fatigue being the worst symptoms, pretty much on a daily basis depending on how much sleep I get, what I'm doing physically etc. Have you been tested for ME/CFS? I think there is so much confusion about what constitutes what and it differs in each area that it's very difficult to say for sure.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Gracious » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:42 am

MagicWriter2014, Fibromyalgia symptoms varies in everyone and also varies throughout the lifetime you have this condition. You will have periods in your life when the pain will be more of an issue. Then other times fatigue will be more so and if unlucky getting both at the same time. As you will know one can tend to trigger the other.

Right now I would say my pain levels are better than pervious years, there manageable with mild medication so long as I dont over do it and pace properly. My migraines are a different ball game. Fatigue is my main symptom at present and I focus on good interval pacing to assist, relaxation, restorative yoga, diet, sleep etc. But it changes all the time, thats fibro for you.

In 25years I have had variations/fluctuations in the severity of my fibromyalgia, from being about to pace on a 6-8hr schedule per day to only 1hr per day, presently pacing is at 1-2hrs, as I am coming out of another 6 day migraine flare. Past 2 years average pacing 2-3 hrs per day. Its always changing.

I try not to compare my condition with others, I focus on what my body can do moment to moment. I also try not to feel different or guilty I dont feel worse or better or for feeling good. Comparing leads to internal mental struggle and self doubt and thats not going to help me deal with the day to day of my ever changeable condition.

We all have lots of labels. I have been given many over the years. Doctors need to diagnose, just as wee need a diagnosis, but I choose to view them as labels, they are not me, I am way more than any symptom or any syndrome. I choose not to dwell on the fact that my list of labels/symptoms/syndromes/conditions may be longer or shorter, more or less serious than others, not because I don't care, its still important to listen, learn and support, but never to compare, this condition is far too changeable for that.

Your symptoms are no different too many of us and your definately not strange, so try not to worry or compare. What matters more than anything is dealing with your own body each day, each moment and getting the most you can out of your life.

With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:12 pm

Another thing to consider MagicWriter is the way each person describes the pain they are experiencing at the time of posting. The use of words such as "excruciating" or phrases like "the worst pain I've ever experienced" could make it seem that what they are experiencing is worse than what you deal with. However, if pain could be measured on a standardised scale, whilst it may be the worst pain they have experienced, when measured against someone else, it could show up as a lower level on a scale than what the other person is experiencing, but because the other person is used to experiencing pain at that particular level, their levels would need to increase significantly for them to describe it with the same words/phrases.

Plus, from being on other FM forums and communities myself over the years, I do know that there are some out there in the cyber~ether that enjoy making their posts read as if they have the worst case of FM ever, ever recorded in the history of FM, are on the most meds a person can be on, and have a dad that is bigger than anyone else's dad in the world, and if anyone dares to disagree with anything they say, then they'll send their dad round to see your dad type of thing.

As Gracious has said, FM can and does vary greatly, as well as from individual to individual, also from moment to moment at times. So whilst pain is somewhat lacking for you at the moment {and I hope it stays that way for you as long as possible :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: } with how things can change, none of us know what will be in store for us the further into our FibroQuests we get. Altho I haven't been part of the FibroGang quite as long as Gracious, during the years of my membership I have experienced some considerable changes in symptoms, some for the better, some not. And whilst things are nowhere near their best for me, things are considerably more improved for me than they were a few months ago.

Rather than thinking that someone may be more or less affected/impacted by FM than I am, I look at it as if we each have our own individual version of the condition. Yes, there will be some fellow FMers who are affected more in some areas than I am, but there will also be others who are affected to a lesser degree in others.

If you still have some wonderings about your lack of pain you could always make an appt with your GP to discuss them and see if it helps settle your mind to some degree. Personally tho, I'd make the most of how you feel {in a sensible and paced way of course} and try to get the best from it that you can.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:39 pm

Totally agree with FP and Gracious. I'm similar in that I do the comparison thing and often think I'm not as bad as a lot of others, but it was brought into focus with me getting a Blue Badge. What I described was an average and not my worst or best day, as he told me to do, and despite me thinking that wouldn't be bad enough and my overwhelming urge to be so honest, I still got it. So at least one person out there thinks I have it to the level where I need a Badge, and that gives me belief when I often go the other way and think I'm psychosomatic.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby MagicWriter2014 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks for all your comments, it has reassured me that it is not all in my head and that fatigue does play a large part in Fibro. I am actually going to see my doctor on Monday for the results of blood tests another doctor asked for. Am intrigued to know if my thyroid reading will have gone up or down now I have Fibro. I have read that Fibro could be caused by a poorly medicated thyroid (a lot of the symptoms are very similar), and as I have been complaining for years that although my thyroid readings are "in the range" have still felt unwell. Thanks again for your help and will keep you informed re thyroid xx
MagicWriter2014
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:01 pm

I was given thyroxine many years ago even though I was borderline, and felt much better. Then I changed GPs and the new one refused to give me any more! My results are still borderline and I would love for them to be looked at more closely, but they won't.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Emilybossy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:59 pm

I have the same! I'm so tired all the time. I sleep until 11/12 every day when I used to get up at the latest half 9 and I still feel awful, wake up feeling like I've been knocked about in my sleep! My pain is the same, dull and okay if I don't focus on it, but most days my shoulder really kicks off, and when I go to bed my knees and hips ache for no reason, and I get spasms and chest pains most days and quite frequently. But I don't know if that pain is constant enough to be fibro. I do get bad brain fog too. Forgot the word for bin for a good 5 minutes earlier. Also chopped some wood earlier for our fires. Bad mistake. Back is killing!!! Hot bath needed :(. (I'm 19 btw). Emily
Emilybossy
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia