adult proof

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

adult proof

Postby debs67 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:34 pm

I know they make containers that are childproof but Its so frustrating when i cant open a bottle or jar cos i get so much pain . :( :(
debs67
UKFM Member

Re: adult proof

Postby derbyshiredragon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:36 pm

I have the same problem with jars, drinks bottles and tins. I had to buy an Electric Can Opener, drinks bottle opener and a jar opening gadget. There are battery operated tin openers and bottle/jar opening gadgets available. Have a look at the link below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/one-touch-jar-o ... r%20opener
derbyshiredragon
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Now my hands, right in particular, are so borked I can barely open anything! I can't chop, hold things without dropping them and can barely open the car door when it's icy!

Btw I just replied to (yours I think?) thread on getting help, this thread has reminded me that sometimes your local council can call or send an occupational therapist to see if they can help you make any changes within your home. So that's another thing that might help you.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:11 pm

ohhh tell me about it! I'm having to take cough medcine at the moment and I can never undo the stupid childproof cap :evil:
luckily hubby opens it for me.

why don't we get a choice in whether we have childproof bottles or not? there are no kids in our house and never will be, so we have no need for anything to be childproofed. :evil:

here's a radical idea - do away with childproof caps altogether, so those of us who struggle to open them still can, and instead the parents keep anything dangerous away from their kids. 8-)

*steps off soapbox*

:mrgreen:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Fluff » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Get your rhumatologist to refer you OT. They came to my house and I have handles etc to help me get in and out of the bath. But they no longer do things like tap attachments bottle openers etc you have to buy them yourself but step enhancement and aids to get on and off toilet are available etc
Fluff
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:55 pm

I bought my wife some Dycem caps and mats. Basically it's a high friction material. You put a mat on the worktop then put the jar or bottle on the mat, then use the cap on the bottle top or jar lid. So if you have dexterity / grip issues then they help you to undo tops and lids through using friction. We got them on ebay, really helpful.

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby debs67 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:46 am

Thanks for your ideas :-D :-D
debs67
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia