Am I the only Fibro sufferer who sleeps well?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Am I the only Fibro sufferer who sleeps well?

Postby Fibrad » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:48 pm

You are not alone - I sleep pretty well. Acupuncture has improved pain in my hips and shoulders which previously made it very difficult to get into a comfortable position. I do wake feeling very stiff though and some days feel very fatigued so I think that, although I get my hours of sleep in, it may be that I don't get the restorative sleep that is crucial (and this seems to be the key thing with fibro).
Fibrad
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:49 pm

There is a huge difference between sleeping and sleeping well. :snore1: On average with the help of 50mg of Amitriptyline I sleep for 8/9 hours per night. Like Hils and Coltalbot I sleep during the day too, anything between 2/4 hours, but I never wake as though I am refreshed. During a flare the fatigue hits me hard and I need to sleep around the clock. I am a firm believer in sleep hygiene, routine and pacing, but for me these things are easier said than done.

I noticed in the 2010 diagnostic report it states, "the effect of exercise is contradictory" Yet any GP, Consultant or OT I've spoken to say exercise a must. Before Fibro I was quite the gym bunny, :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: doing regular weights, zumba 3 times per week and walked for miles. Which I miss more than anything! I take my hat of to those who manage to exercise, work or just try to lead a 'normal' life.

The last thing I wanted at my or any age, was to be only getting outdoors on my scooter. We ALL have Fibro, but at different levels. We are on here to support each other not say if we don't have XYZ then we must have a different condition. :nono:

Steps off of soap box :oops:
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby Vixaria » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:35 pm

Thank you all for your replies.
It's comforting to know I am not the only one who manages to sleep through the night. We are lucky to be able to do so.
I do find it difficult to get comfortable sometimes due to my shoulder pain and when I awake in the morning I am like a Zombie. The pain in my feet and ankles when I walk down the stairs is awful, I practically run down to get it over with!
Vixaria
UKFM Newbie

Postby carolad » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:16 pm

Fibrad wrote:You are not alone - I sleep pretty well. Acupuncture has improved pain in my hips and shoulders which previously made it very difficult to get into a comfortable position. I do wake feeling very stiff though and some days feel very fatigued so I think that, although I get my hours of sleep in, it may be that I don't get the restorative sleep that is crucial (and this seems to be the key thing with fibro).

The Rheumatologist I saw thinks that 'non restorative sleep' is the cause of fibromyalgia. He was a bit of an idiot though so I'm not sure if he's right! ;-) Though yes, I think it sounds like it could be related to fibro in some way. No idea how you can improve the quality of your sleep though. I didn't sleep well for years due to back pain. But I now take a stronger dose of Tramadol (300mg a day) and 30-40mg of Amitriptyline so now I sleep much better. I still don't sleep right through the night but I no longer have those nights of lying awake until 2..3..4..5am not being able to get to sleep!

But like a lot of you, I don't feel refreshed in the mornings...so I assume that I'm not getting the deep restorative sleep that makes you feel rested. Don't know what the solution is...
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:07 am

Charmed wrote:We ALL have Fibro, but at different levels. We are on here to support each other not say if we don't have XYZ then we must have a different condition. :nono:

Steps off of soap box :oops:

well said.

the way I see it, having problems sleeping is just another symptom of fibro. some of us will have this symptom, some won't.

if some people do sleep well, it doesn't mean they don't have fibro.

in fact, the rheumatologist I saw recently asked me if I have trouble sleeping. I said "not really" (cos I don't consider my sleeping problems to be that bad). she still thought I had fibro.

:-D
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:18 pm

This is particularly relevant at the moment, I cannot get to sleep before about 5am. It's driving me mad and I seriously wonder how I'm going to cope with a job if I can't even function on the days when I stay at home and don't have a shower (like today) :oops:

I am now starting to take duloxetin but nothing helps me sleep apart from Amit so I am at my wits end.

I have been through phases of sleeping okay (ie. getting to sleep in less than 2 hours for me is good) and having restorative sleep (proven by my sleep studies), but the pain and other symptoms did not get better. So I really don't believe anyone who says it's as simplistic as "it was caused by lack of sleep and is perpetuated/made worse by lack of sleep." Including my rheumatologist too, maybe they all had a press release? :mrgreen:

That study quoted earlier on in this thread (and others) shows that lack of sleep causes *some* problems, and in many ways these mimic parts of Fibro, but it is NOT cause and effect. As indeed it says in the extract quoted - it is not a cause, it is a symptom. Better sleep can help but does not cure either.

And I agree with Charmed's last paragraph too. Fibro is so variable that I think it's unhelpful to say you might not have fibro because you don't have X or Y symptoms.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:49 pm

for Zia or anyone else finding they can't get to sleep at the right time.. I read somewhere recently that you need to get your body into a regular pattern by going to bed at the same time every night even if youre not tired. to get your body to reset its sleeping times.

i havent tried this myself but just thought id mention it. :-)
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby loverliesgal » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:30 am

With my pills n potions I sleep until about 3am, then fall back to sleep until about 9.30am. I have however had episodes recently where a nap had fallen into 18hrs undisturbed sleep. Hubby lets me sleep when it happens because of the constant disturbed nights he has to deal with.
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:43 pm

dazzleship wrote:for Zia or anyone else finding they can't get to sleep at the right time.. I read somewhere recently that you need to get your body into a regular pattern by going to bed at the same time every night even if youre not tired. to get your body to reset its sleeping times.

i havent tried this myself but just thought id mention it. :-)

Thanks, but I've tried that. Doesn't help me.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia