Sleep

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sleep

Postby loverliesgal » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:52 am

Hi

Well have suffered untold numbers of years with this FM thing, Gone through the lack of sleep, the extra sleep offered by a new drug regime which tapers off, but have now been on a good set of drugs which work, I can get 8 hours out of a day and I can do SOME stuff, not a lot mark you, but some.

However

In the last month I have had to lay down in the middle of the day, something I haven't had to do for a couple of years, however, I am waking up the next morning as if I had gone up to bed at my usual 9pm instead of the 1pm. Previously more sleep meant a start of a flare up which ignored the drug regime. So I am sat here flexing my arms and legs turning my head, just to see if it has started. Well it has :/ characterised by needing to rush to the loo (rush - that went years ago, but trying to get somewhere a bit quicker) cos my body hasn't let on that I am nearing that time and then - well I suspect a lot of you know already what happens next. I am getting locked in a shape when in bed, which only hubby and diazapam are helping with. So I had a good 6 months this time, hopefully when this flare dies down I hope my meds can return to normal

Just thought I would share with you, even though I know a lot of you are already in the middle of a flare, and may even not have the temporary time I had when I considered myself good, and here I am worrying about approaching this one. Doc has armed me with stronger pain relief for when I need it, and has upped my diazapam temporarily. My walker has been got out and dusted off and crutches walking sticks and even the dreaded wheelchair are all ready to go. (not that I could go out without walking stick). So in my head I am hoping that being prepared will get me through this, in my heart, the being prepared is such a strong hope that this is the worst it will be this time.

Take care
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Re: Sleep

Postby Dee Dee » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:58 pm

So sorry to hear you are having a bad flare up. Let's hope it doesn't last too long.
Dee Dee
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jeany » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Can I ask you what medication you take and what dose ?

I have had years of sleep deprivation, and have now resorted to taking Amitriptyline a few days ago because I am so ill. I have been trying to avoid taking medication apart from pain killers, because I am so sensitive and get terrible side effects.

Only been on 10mg of Amitriptyline 6 days and felt immediate benefit of relaxing me, and sleeping much better. I pray that it continues.

Do you mind me asking also what you take Diazapam for, because I also use it when I am particularly anxious.

I hope things improve for you xx I think that the time of year can cause flare ups what with the cold dark days, and also because we have all probably done more than usual over Christmas.

Jeany x
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby robcathy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:08 pm

I have had fm for many years. Sleep just wouldn't come for me. The doctors wouldn't give me anything. I buy sleep aid on the internet and it gives me about 4 good hours. I have been on them for about 18months & they haven't done me any harm. I would do anything for sleep and these do help me.
robcathy
UKFM Newbie

Postby loverliesgal » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:33 am

I have amitryptiline 50mg and Morphine Slow Release 20mg and 200mg Pregabalin at night which usually sees me through until 3am, I wake up in spasm, so have 4mg diazapam if I cant get any relief when hubby moves me. Strangest thing about the exceptionally long sleeps is that I have less fibro fog for the following couple of days, even if my body is not doing what I desire
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby Jeany » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks for your reply it's quite a cocktail you are on these isn't it ?

Its early days for me with the Amitriptyline yet, and last night it didn't seem to be as effective in helping with sleep or anxiety. I also seem to be suffering from painful boobs since starting to take it, and I am struggling to get up in a morning even more than I normally would.

Oh well I will soldier on.

Jeany x
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:45 am

This has got to be the most curious illness ever. Does any other illness have so many symptoms? Not all of us have all of the same symptoms all of the time and they say it's not progressive. However, after over 20 years a sufferer I would disagree. When I look back to my original symptoms I realise I have been gradually 'collecting' new symptoms. Is there no end to it?
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:05 pm

Yes Susan I would disagree too, I definitely get worse as the years pass. The main thing I hold onto when going through a flare, is the thought that it will end.

Jeany try taking the Amitriptyline 12 hours before you want to get up in the morning, you may still be a wee bit groggy, but it won't be as bad. They won't make you any more tired in the evening, so don't worry :hugs:
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby Jeany » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:17 pm

Thank you everyone, and all the best.

Jeany x
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby MissGems73 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:28 am

i am having bad sleep pattern at the moment i think its been a cpl of weeks this time but it seems to be forever since i had a decent sleep. i was on amitriptyline but i couldn't cope with the side effects anymore (nightmare itching dry mouth and throat the list goes on) and they wasn't working well anyway so my doctor gave me nortriptyline i take 3 10 mg at about 7 pm and then was tired enough to sleep around 10 ish and i was getting a few good hours a night and only side effect is a dry mouth.
MissGems73
UKFM Member

Postby funnylady » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:09 pm

I have trouble sleeping really bad nights last Wednesday night.
Went to bed about 11 o clock was so bad still awake at 2 o clock.
I tried every think to get to sleep even decaf tea. :(
funnylady
UKFM Member

Postby bigmommas » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:12 pm

I have only had fibro for 18 months since my mum died I cannot believe how many symptoms there are I too am on ammitrptaline pain patches prednisenole and diazepam plus many others ,I have not had a good nights sleep for months I also take a 10mg of zoplidem sleeping tablet but no still don't work am up 2 hrs after going to bed :yikes: :crazy: ps sorry about the spelling
bigmommas
UKFM Newbie

Postby caramia » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:28 pm

I have huge problems with sleep too , can get over too sleep but always waken from about 4am with pain. I do take melotonin tablets which I think do help get me to sleep, however occasionally I can still have a night where I can't sleep at all!
caramia
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:31 pm

caramia wrote:I have huge problems with sleep too , can get over too sleep but always waken from about 4am with pain. I do take melotonin tablets which I think do help get me to sleep, however occasionally I can still have a night where I can't sleep at all!

We were just talking about Melatonin today on my programme, did your GP prescribe them?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:20 pm

Well my GP won't prescribe melatonin as apparently it's only available in my county for kids with ADHD. I did ask if I could be diagnosed with that but he said no! :mrgreen: He did appear to suggest that if I could get it another way I could try it, but also said that it isn't any better than pregabalin, which I just can't believe. Melatonin is a naturally occurring substance and there was one study showing those on fibro was lacking in it. I don't know how it's tested though, but he really underestimates how much a lack of sleep affects me, and I am getting less and less as weeks go by.

If anyone has seen it online I'd consider getting it, please let me know. Does anyone's GP prescribe it? And how much would you take? I've found this but don't know the website:

http://www.biovea.com/uk/results.aspx?KW=melatonin
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia