Need some advice

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Need some advice

Postby smile » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi there,

haven't posted in quite a while since diagnosis and a lot has been going on. I have been on the amitriptyline for a while too. It does make a difference with fatigue. I find I fall asleep quicker, have better sleep and don't feel so tired in the mornings.

Since the last post I have been working full time role (39 hours week 5x days a week), some of these days include 6:30am start at work and others not finishing work until 10:30pm. On top of that I have been working overtime, due to benefits completely stopping and planned holiday to pay for.

Today I did a 13 and a half hour shift. I don't feel tired (may tomorrow), however I have on going muscle pains that never go away. I feel bruised all over, my thighs both inside and out feel like I have stood outside in the cold with no clothes on. They are so painful to touch. Same goes for the inside of my leg beneath the knees. So painful. There isn't a part of me that doesn't hurt.

I just don't know what to do, I want to start exercising again, but don't feel my body will take it. I just think my work is enough as it is.

Im not sure what advice I am looking for, but does any of this ring a bell or make any sense.
smile
UKFM Newbie

Re: Need some advice

Postby claudine1288 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:49 pm

I too was on amytriptyline (spelling?) when I was first diagnosed. It did help immensely at first but eventually I needed more pain medication. Do you have a good, understanding GP who knows about fibro? Pain is such an individual matter, so I won't offer suggestions, but it looks as if either the dosage isn't sufficient, or the drug itself needs to be supplemented with other medication.
Don't wait too long, as pain has a tendency to settle in when given a chance. And try not to work such long hours: it will not help your condition. I know how hard the situation is, and feel for you (I've been there.) Don't give up, and speak to a doctor soon.
Best wishes to you, hang in there, but try and rest as often as possible,
C :goodluck2:
claudine1288
UKFM Member

Postby claudine1288 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:49 pm

I too was on amytriptyline (spelling?) when I was first diagnosed. It did help immensely at first but eventually I needed more pain medication. Do you have a good, understanding GP who knows about fibro? Pain is such an individual matter, so I won't offer suggestions, but it looks as if either the dosage isn't sufficient, or the drug itself needs to be supplemented with other medication.
Don't wait too long, as pain has a tendency to settle in when given a chance. And try not to work such long hours: it will not help your condition. I know how hard the situation is, and feel for you (I've been there.) Don't give up, and speak to a doctor soon.
Best wishes to you, hang in there, but try and rest as often as possible,
C :goodluck2:
claudine1288
UKFM Member

Postby Ali170 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:11 pm

HI Love

This was me before I retired, I worked very long hours, nothing I could do about that as I needed the money.

I too get intense pain in my thighs, my physio used to find the most painful spot and press on it for about a minute, it does relieve the pain a bit, I now do it myself.

Press your fingers over the painful parts until you find a really painful spot, it will be there, then press hard on it for about a minute, this is a standard relief procedure for FM, it helps take the edge off and sometimes goes away, till the next time !!!! Hope this helps xx ,
Ali170
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:28 pm

hi smile

first of all well done for continuing to work, I think that's a good thing :-)

all I can really suggest for the painful muscles is a TENS machine - have you tried one? or massaging the hard 'knots' out of the muscles which really does help.

if you are able to take ibuprofen then something like that voltarol gel stuff might help? I wouldn't know personally though cos I am intolerant to NSAID's so I can't use this gel. but I often look at it and wish I could! so it might help you.

try to rest as much as you can when you're not working - take regular breaks at work if you can.

good luck xx
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia