How did people get ill?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: How did people get ill?

Postby redplanetgirl » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:22 am

Hi I'm from Australia. I got bitten by a mozzie, I contracted Ross River Fever, then Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue, just one little bite.
I already had scollicos, spondytitlis, irritable bowel, depression, and arthritis. Now Im going thur menopause as well. I now know a lot about mozzies, and protect my self when out doors, not sure if I can get infected again, but not worth the risk. I also have had a lot of stress in my life and cancer twice, which I fully recoved from, not like this as it never leaves.
redplanetgirl
UKFM Member

Postby AliCat » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:25 am

Hi folks, especially Willow5252... I blame vaccinations for my illness. I started my nurse training and had to have Hep B and MMR at the same time. I started getting so tired I would cry after each shift. But I struggled on and got my degree. But when I got my first job I had to have a Hep B booster as it hadn't taken. Then that was followed by my first and only flu/swine flu shot and the symptoms flared up massively. I took to my bed after 2 months and while I eventually returned to work on much reduced hours, I'm in danger of losing my job now due to my appalling sickness record, just 3 years after qualifying :cry:
AliCat
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:27 am

I think mine started due to the controlling and stressful relationship I was in. My friends said I looked a shadow of my former self and my spark had gone. Although I did have a bout of Flu and just never got better.

My Daughter was ill with Glandular Fever for 18 months and I sometimes wonder if I caught something from that. Could be anything really, I've had overactive Thyroid problems and Hypermobility and whip lash, so goodness knows.

Although I do know that the least bit of stress/worry I have, a flare is not far behind :cry:
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby Patsb » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:57 pm

I think mine started 13 yrs ago when my eldest son was killed in a car crash aged 23 . He had a 3yr old son whom he had sole custody of and whom we have since raised. Although I was only diagnosed with fibro 2 and a half yrs ago I've had the symptoms yrs also chronic stress and anxiety disorder :cry:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby Shazzie » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:52 pm

I've had pain all my life i was physically and mentally abused as child and in my marrige, I've had three car accidents 1999 in a space of 3 months (none my fault) one left me with nerve damage down my left side, about 15 yrs ago My husband (Ex now)diagnosed with a rare form of cancer which attacks the blood and bones, he had to have a rib removed because it wouldn't heal, a month after returning home from hospital he collapsed at home on new years eve, everybody had gone out to the local pub for a quick drink so it was just me home with him, i didn't know what was happening because he couldn't breath so i was panicking i knew i had no time to ring 999 so managed to get him in to the car he being 20st me 8st , got to the hospital in 5 min flat, he was on life support for 3 week during that time he had internal bleeding into his chest cavity had pipes coming out of his chest, he suffered a massive heart attack which killed the left side of his heart, The shock of all this happening caused me to become diabetic at the age of 39.
I had a nasty fall from my horse which my nerves never recovered from :cry: (loved my horse).
I all so had 1 flu jab which made me so ill never had it since , i suffer from chronic pain, depression, ibs, anxiety attacks, cfs and its taken the drs with all these symptoms yrs to diagnose me with fibro :shock:
Shazzie
UKFM Newbie

How did people get ill?

Postby boxesgirl33 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:08 pm

Thank you to everyone for the replies it's all very interesting reading. I should answer my own question lol. I was working in a primary school as a teaching assistant and there was an virus? Going around the school called slapped cheek (in children) it's highly contagious, they have very red cheeks and a temperature and there was one child in my class and the mother refused to take her child home. So about 1/2 weeks later I got ill with what I thought was the flu it was so bad I had to crawl to get to the toilet but after 3 weeks of feeling like death I had a blood test and I had caught slapped cheek but in adults it's called parovirius and much more serious to cut a long story short I've never been well again. I was diagnosed about a year later with fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. It broke my heart I was such an active person my house was immaculate I wouldn't go out the door with out make up on. But now my house is a mess and so am I lol. Giving up my job which was SO rewarding was really difficult. And I worry about the effect of me being ill has had on my children. Thanks to sites like this I know I have support out there so thanks so much guys xxxx
boxesgirl33
UKFM Member

Postby leswaltdave » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:21 pm

It crept up on me during 3 years of stress!

My wife's farther fell ill and was given 12 months max to live he lasted 3 and never left hospital! meanwhile his 78 year old wife who we now understand was suffering from dementia was alone at home refusing any help from outsiders.
We live 250 miles away and organised all her shopping on line (Tesco) and tried our best to visit as much as possible and managed to get a small circle of people to help her.

My father-in-law had the intelligence to remove his name and add my wife's name to the bank accounts as she is 100% devoted to her mums welfare.

My wife has a brother who has been cheating the benefits system for 25 years and as soon as he found out his dad wasn't coming home decided he had the right to take his mum into the bank and start removing large amounts of money!(mother hadn't been in a bank for 50 years!)
Lucky for her my wife had set up online banking and checked every day what was going in which bills needed paying and what was going out and tried every possible way to stop him.

To cut a long story short he finally got a solicitor involved trying to get power of attorney who was suspicious about what was going on after a chat with my wife and she helped us to stop him.

We received up to 10 phone calls from mother sometimes happy but usually crying about her situation and what her son was doing to her.

After 3 falls within a week and us 250miles away having to call the ambulance services out to help her, she was admitted to hospital and then put into care for her own safety.
We visited once a month and she was coming to terms with staying in care and making decisions for her own future but then she had a fall during the night and broke her hip just after we had left following a lovely day with her.

Several weeks later her own son had found out that she had requested the solicitor be her power of attorney he then went to see her in the care home and told her she was no longer any use to him as she could not give him any more money!
From that day she stopped eating and 3 months later passed away.
We rushed to her bed side the 250 miles and arrived just in time to witness her last breath and time to say our last goodbyes.
(Her son turned up 1hr later and he had only 25 miles to travel)

During all this time we where very busy at work and I was working 12hrs a day and not sleeping due to stress!
I had to remain strong for my wife and children and cope without complaint all through this time but I had started to hurt all the time in my arms and thought I was just overworked as my job involves heavy manual work.
After 18 months I told my doctor and he referred me to the hospital and after one visit I was diagnosed with fibro in June 2014, the fibro has transformed to hurt every part of me but I will not let it bring me down! (I still work 10 hours per day 5 days a week and sail our yacht when the weather lets us).

Yes I've cried in private and in my heart but we have no choice, be a fibro fighter not a sufferer! :nono:
leswaltdave
UKFM Newbie

Postby Gracious » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:14 pm

In short, all started with Glandular Fever 25 years ago. Condition was exacerbated 4 years later by a bad fall down a flight of strairs head first, compressing my whole spine.
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:11 pm

No big event to start mine, just painful hands, which moved through-out my joints slowly but surely.

I have never slept well, so that could be a partial link. It was not related to Miranda's death as I was already a wreck then, and my diagnosis, which I actively went to the doctors about my hands, was 5 years later.
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby keaedmondson » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:08 am

In December 2010 we had an OFSTED inspection at work. It wasn't my first and wasn't any more stressful than they usually are…

The following week I found it really difficult to sleep and felt really ill. I thought I had a virus. I was off work two days and then was planning to go back when I woke up in the night to find water pouring through my ceiling from the flat above! This wasn't the first time! Spent the next day sorting that out and though I didn't sleep that night either I knew I had to go back to work. I thought that if I got into my routine I would be able to sleep again…

A couple of weeks later, I went up to my friends in Leeds. My body was really stiff and sore but I assumed it was the long train journey.
When the pain continued over the next month I thought it was a virus or the flu and it would go away by itself. My work is very stressful and I was very unhappy. But I put it all down to that. It wasn't until August when I was on the summer holidays that I realised there must be something wrong because I was still feeling pain.
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Postby shelby1975 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:07 am

Mine started after thyroid surgery 10 yrs ago, however I was a prem baby and mums dr said I would have problems later in life so who knows??
Shelby :)
shelby1975
UKFM Member

Postby keaedmondson » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:00 am

I was a prem baby to… Have always wondered whether that might have been some sort of reason
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Postby shelby1975 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:53 am

keaedmondson wrote:I was a prem baby to… Have always wondered whether that might have been some sort of reason

I never thought about it until my mum mentioned it! Weird
Shelby :)
shelby1975
UKFM Member

Postby medicanwoman » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:18 am

I am undiagnosed with Fibro, but I have been living with a lot of the symptoms, since I had an accident when I was 17, and now am quickly turning 59!
I have had it confirmed with several MRI and X ray's that I have broken the base of my spine, in several places, and now the bones have set and other problems that go with nerve damage, but over the years, I have managed to stay out of the wheelchair, but keep going by high levels of pain management, and taking each day as it comes.
medicanwoman
UKFM Newbie

Postby LizzieP » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:54 pm

Funny, I was talking about this only this morning. I usually say to people that I believe it was a spinal accident when I was a child that triggered my FM, but in fact I pretty much know that it was the (really close to death) traumatic birth of my first child 25 years ago. I just don't want her to know that. I was formally diagnosed ten years ago when the symptoms got really bad, but have had recognisable symptoms for years before that. I also come from a very auto-immune family, with rheumatoid arthritis and hyper-mobility being the most common problems.
LizzieP
UKFM Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia