How did people get ill?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: How did people get ill?

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:49 pm

Nothing, it just came on. At the time I was sleeping well, not under stress and my first symptoms were getting extremely hot (in winter) and skin problems around my mouth, blurry vision and rashes over my eyelids. Then I started to get the more typical fibro symptoms after a few days. I still have no idea why I got it.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:19 pm

The only thing I can think of is stress :-x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:59 pm

I was 9 when I lost my mum and it sort of went down hill from there, I had knock knees as a child and even after some treatments they have never been perfect, and i think after walking on not so perfect legs for x amount of years has caused wear and tear, im pretty certain my symptoms started as a teen, and then a list of life events have just added to the problems!
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Fibrad » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:00 pm

I think mine has been a result of lots of traumatic experiences - miscarriage back in 1997, 18 months later the birth of my daughter (now 15) emergency c-section and after a 9 week hospital stay for me. I started having knee and hip pain after that which never really improved - just put it down to new physical demands of looking after a new baby. Things really became terrible after my husband died of cancer 3 years ago. Caring for him for 15 months, knowing he would die and having a 12 year old to try and help come to terms with everything was the darkest of times - when he died, I was devastated, exhausted. I had major changes at work at this time, had to move house - my body then began to scream for mercy - fatigue and pain from head to toe. Knowing what I now about Fibro, it does not surprise me one bit that I have ended up this way. I am now on a mission to slow my life down, keep stress to a minimum, eat well, sleep lots, do what makes me happy...just try and be kind to myself. Acupuncture is the only thing that has helped the pain, change of lifestyle has helped with fatigue. Just keeping fingers crossed life gives me some luck from now on and all will be well!!
Fibrad
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:39 pm

Interesting how stress seems to factor in a lot of people's experiences. I would say mine was something similar...I had years of back pain caused by scoliosis before I got my fibro diagnosis. The pain kept me awake at night so that was the start of my sleep problems. So that put my body and my mind under stress and I became depressed. In addition, I was in a relationship that just wasn't right for me so that was causing me more stress.

If stress is one of the contributing factors in fibro, that shows how it is important for us to look after our mental health and deal with stress effectively. I think some stress in life is inevitable, we can't stop bad things happening...but we can change how we react to situations. I am trying to change my whole outlook and not get annoyed or stressed about things I have no control over. Easier said than done sometimes, but I am trying!
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Butterfly8588 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:01 am

Hi everyone,
I'm not to sure what caused mine, I had Bells Palsy at 18 and then 18 months or so later I woke up with awful pain in my face. Fast forward several years, a lot of pain (which spread to most places) and fighting later and got my diagnosis. Not easy though. Looking back now I think there were signs, particularly with regards to sleep (or lack of) and pain!

Gentle hugs xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby angiep469 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:02 am

Mine started 6 years ago when I had a hysterectomy. Never been right since.
angiep469
UKFM Newbie

Postby Andyp » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:07 am

I was diagnosed just over a year ago, after having pain, problems with walking following keyhole surgery to remove kidney stones.
Andyp
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:11 am

A really bad bout of flu about 10 years ago, which was followed by a year of PVFS, this cleared up, but left me with occasional pains in my forearms whenever I was run down or had a cold or other bug, in about 2009 I had some time off with what was diagnosed as RSI in my right arm, then in 2010 I started with an inexplicable knee problem (I was working in a very stressful job for a bullying boss), followed by growing aches and pains all over plus fatigue, then in 2011 I had a complete nervous breakdown, and the FM diagnosis followed in 2012 when I had gone back to work in a new, much less stressful job. My life is pretty much stress free now but sadly the FM has not gone away.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Jo90 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:38 pm

There are some very sad stories of suffering on here and my heart goes out to you all. It's a really interesting question.. when I started with all my symptoms of joint and muscle pain, brain fog etc, my GP sent me to a neurologist. He believes that Fibro is over diagnosed and told me I am suffering from peripheral neuropathy but he asked me an interesting question.. he said "have you ever suffered from a major emotional trauma?" I told him about a 'phone call that I had telling me that my house had burnt down and my youngest child had perished in the fire. I can't relate this story without crying and the kind doctor was almost crying with me. He told me that's what has triggered my problems, that he sees it often and also that my body is attacking itself and if it didn't do it this way then it would have killed me (I guess he meant heart attack or stroke). I also suffer from anxiety and a social phobia.
Jo90
UKFM Member

Postby GQM » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:21 pm

I fell and prolapsed three disc's in my neck.
From the off the Dr's were saying that I shouldn't have been in so much pain and that the pain should have been more on the other side than it was. The Orthopedic Dr's have wiped their hands of me after I had been under their care as an in patient for 51 day's. I am now under The head Anesthetist, a Neurologist from Liverpool and waiting to be accepted for the Pain Management Course.
The fall crushed my head against my shoulder and they say that my disc's could have been like this from years earlier. on top of that it has triggered tinnitus which doesn't help with sleeping.
GQM
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia