[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - pain clinic

pain clinic

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: pain clinic

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:29 pm

I'm so glad you are feeling a bit brighter now, I was very worried about you before.

Sadly I don't have a choice about doing it in 5 weeks, I think we were all a little shocked at how much we are going to be doing! I even got a monthly parking pass as I'll be there so often ;-) I am a little worried about it taking it's toll so I've cleared my diary and am not planning anything else in on those weeks. Oh the excitement...

Yes indeed ignore all the idiots and concentrate on getting around, anything that helps not to sap energy I think is great. I've not got to the cane stage yet, whether rightly or wrongly I don't know! Ha the getting off at the wrong floor I have done soooo many times :mrgreen:

Course I will post, it doesn't start til 9th Feb but I'll try and remember to come back and let you know about it :)
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby karrier-bag » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:40 pm

I was refered to my local pain clinic early last year, way before fibro had even been thought of or suggested as a possible problem, I went because my elbows as well as my back and shoulders hurt so much, as well as suggesting different meds they offered to cut the nerves in my elbows do I wouldn't feel the pain!
This somewhat scared me and I said that when.my elbows throbbed it was telling me something was wrong and I didn't really want them to do that, well that was basicly that, do I spent the next seven months just trying to get on either it, massages, swimming and pain killers.
This kinda put me off the pain clinic idea but now I have my diagnosis of fibro maybe it will be different if I was to go back, I guess I am that bit scared still, maybe i should go back?
"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws."
Douglas Adams
karrier-bag
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:55 pm

They said what?!?! :yikes: Good on you for saying no.

I think if you go with a fibro diagnosis you'll find there are other options offered to you - eg. hydrotherapy, cbt, a pain management programme, physiotherapy...I'm not saying you would get offered any or all of the above, but as soon as I was under them more options became available and I've (rightly or wrongly!) chosen as many as I can get :-)

They will also have seen lots of people with fibro before, so even getting their knowledge and experience is useful.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby karrier-bag » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:06 pm

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws."
Douglas Adams
karrier-bag
UKFM Member

Postby scottydog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi all

Just back from drs and he has prescribed an anti depressant which dissolves on the tongue. My chemist is waiting for them to be delivered so hope to start them soon. They take 3 weeks to work.

X
scottydog
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:39 pm

Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby scottydog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi

They are called Mirtazapine. Reading other posts that warn of increased appetite I am wary of them and i haven't even got them yet! I will try them first though before i ask for a different one as everyone reacts differently.
scottydog
UKFM Member

Postby Brian » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:23 pm

Brian
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:52 pm

Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:05 am

Just wanted to say good luck at your pain clinics Scottydog and Zia :hugs: xx
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Cheers m'dear :-D
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby karenodell » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Re pain clinic

I was referred to the pain clinic 4 years ago my consultant is very good first he recomened that I do the course that helps you to see your FM differently this course did help as there were other FM sufferers on it so you could support each other and exchange ideas on what works and what does not like small bites at the big elephant but he also recommened trigger point injections in my back they really help he does between 12 and 18 after 2 weeks i get about another 6 to 9 weeks relief from my back pain I do know though there was a long waiting list to get to him so its worth persisting for.
I would wish you good luck and keep strong
karenodell
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:38 pm

Well I'm two weeks into my course now, it's been very interesting so far. Obviously there are limitations as to what they can do, and it is for chronic pain so we have a variety of issues and conditions, but still it's great if only to sit down with people who understand about being in pain all the time.

We have journals and do some creative stuff, or try to anyway :mrgreen: We have written a letter to 'pain', and keep using this metaphor about how we are driving a bus and some passengers we don't like get on board (eg. Painful Pete, Fatigue Fred...you get the idea ;-) ). It sounds simplistic but enables us to explore all sorts of things, for instance one woman said we need to 'befriend' the pain because we can't kick it off the bus, which was an interesting idea.

We are going to look at short and long term goals, as well as do some relaxation techniques. We also cover the biological side of things, although I'll admit some of that is going over my head a little :crazy: But it's good to learn about it and have a bit of an understanding why our bodies are doing what they're doing.

We talk about sleep, and posture, and give each other tips about what we've learnt and what has helped us. It's been great so far, tiring but well worth doing.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:59 am

glad to hear you are enjoying your pain clinic Zia.

I have been offered a similar thing - 6 week chronic pain course - but there is no way I can get that much time off work (about 4 hours each time allowing for time to get there and back to the office) and I'm sure as heck not using up holiday days for it :roll: so I'll be giving it a miss. to be honest I'm not too bothered though.. I'm not a "sit in a group of people" kind of person.

but honestly I'm glad it's helpful for some of you. :-)
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:16 am

That's a shame dazz, although it is very much a group sharing type of thing. I do think it's bad they are only held during office hours as it's not possible for those working to attend.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia