Fibro & Work

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro & Work

Postby Consciousy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:19 pm

How long after diagnosis did you go back to work? I have been waiting for diagnosis for more than 2 1/2 years. Finally got one last week after I was suspected of having rheumatoid arthritis. I have been off work since beginning of November after I started my leg, side and forearms started swelling. I was feeling constantly nauseous and threw up every time I ate. I'm currently on 600mg Ibuprofen and still in pain 24hrs a day. My leg and forearms are still swollen and the nausea and vomiting have eased a bit. I've got mild tendonitis in my fingers & wrist I'm scared to go back to work just in case the pain worsens.
Consciousy
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibro & Work

Postby hazely » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:02 pm

I was at work the whole time only been off sick since December
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:49 pm

I had to take ill health retirement as a staff nurse. I had a fall downstairs which sent the symptoms out of control that is nearly 5 years ago now and i only worked for 6 weeks after the accident and then that was it.

The Ibuprofen may be causing your symptoms you should talk to your GP see if they can suggest something different.

Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Andrea968 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:24 am

Hi Beverley can I ask you a personal question ?
How old are you ? I am currently having problems at work , my manager wants me to go down redeployment however I am scared stiff if I don't like what I'm offered and will not be able to return to my substantial post .
My problem is sleep issues , my pain is almost nil except for flare ups one which I had was my back I had chronic pain in my back for several months before I went to the Drs , he signed me off work for 8 weeks , my back pain has gone now , but I'm suffering from sleep deprivation .
Because I work shifts my manager thinks I could make wrong disitions or mistakes so hence her wanting me to move to a 9-5 job .
I would be grateful for any advice as I am feeling very low , tearful as I fear I'm losing my career a career I have enjoyed every day for 23 yrs
Thanks for reading
Andrea x
Andrea968
UKFM Newbie

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:43 am

I never stopped working. I've had 1 day off sick with FM since this whole thing first started several years ago.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:38 am

Hi I was diagnosed around 5 years ago, apart from taking a few days off here and there I still work full time and not been off on long term sick.

I applied for PIP thinking I could reduce my working hours but I was refused this, I could not afford to stay off long term or give up work as have too much financial commitments so just get on with it, I know everyone is different and have different circumstances, if I could give up work I would..
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:20 pm

I have never been off sick as a result of fibro though I have had a few days off because of back pain (when I literally couldn't get out of bed or stand up straight!). I used to work full time but last year I reduced my hours to 30 hours a week because of my health issues.

I think that work is good for me. It gives me a reason to get out of bed and keep going. Yes, some days are hard...but work gives me something to focus on and stops me lying around feeling sorry for myself :) I am determined to keep working because I think I would end up getting depressed if I didn't have that to motivate me. The way I see it, I am always tired and in pain...I will be tired and in pain whether I am at home or at work...so I may as well be at work than wallowing in self pity at home :)

Consciousy - do you have a supportive employer? Could you negotiate a phased return or a reduction in hours to make it easier for you? It would also be helpful if you could discuss pain relief with your GP - ibuprofen may be causing your stomach problems so there might be something else that would work better for you. I hope you can find something that helps to allow you to get on with your life x
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby morette5 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:50 pm

Dont forget fibro may not be all you are suffering from. It's symptoms can mask other symptoms.
What you describe doesn't sound Atypical of fibro.
Check if you have other things going on too?
morette5
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Andrea968 wrote:Hi Beverley can I ask you a personal question ?
How old are you ? I am currently having problems at work , my manager wants me to go down redeployment however I am scared stiff if I don't like what I'm offered and will not be able to return to my substantial post .
My problem is sleep issues , my pain is almost nil except for flare ups one which I had was my back I had chronic pain in my back for several months before I went to the Drs , he signed me off work for 8 weeks , my back pain has gone now , but I'm suffering from sleep deprivation .
Because I work shifts my manager thinks I could make wrong disitions or mistakes so hence her wanting me to move to a 9-5 job .
I would be grateful for any advice as I am feeling very low , tearful as I fear I'm losing my career a career I have enjoyed every day for 23 yrs
Thanks for reading
Andrea x

Hi Andrea, I am 51. I have had symptoms of FMS for about 11 years and was finally diagnosed after i fell down stairs about 4 years ago and even though the initial damage to my joints eased i was in chronic pain everywhere. Although i have the odd day when symptoms are better most of the time physically doing anything is a nightmare. I also now walk with a stick, sometimes two and work wasn't willing to offer me any other job.
You could stipulate that if you tried the other job and it didn't work then you would come back to your present position. You need to think about whether the new hours would make things easier for you in the long run. Also if work allows you to leave your job on grounds of ill health it doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to claim your pension until the normal retirement age. As for me i am still too unwell decision to work and it was a joint decision to leave as they were no longer paying me anyway as i had been off a year.

Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:13 pm

I'm another one in the 'haven't given up work' category. and I sincerely hope and pray that it will stay that way.

I've had to have the odd one- or two-days off when I am flaring up and feeling really in pain or exhausted, but then I'm back into work again. but we're talking once every few months if that.

but as others have said, I can't imagine not working (and I feel awful for those who want to work but have found themselves unable to). although there is the occasional day from time to time when I just really can't manage it, in no way could I just be at home all day every day, I would simply hate that.

it scares me though because there are likely other people who have said "oh I would never give up work" and have then had to. because I see how much I've gone downhill mobility-wise since my diagnosis almost three years ago (not helped by the fact I've got two illnesses going on) but all I can do is keep a positive attitude and don't take things for granted.

and I think the type of work you do makes a difference as well (as I think I've said before). a more physically demanding job is going to be harder to keep than say an office-based job.

:hugs:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:07 am

I know you are being sympathetic so i don't want you to take this in a negative way at all. Most people wouldn't give up work by choice and usually have to when there is no other choice, especially when i have a job i love.

Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby lynda 24 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:08 pm

hello i am curerntly off sick after a major flare up probably caused by my work as a carer, but am hoping to return in a couple of weeks once i feel safer enough to drive ( dare not due to eyes going out of focus, side effect of gabapentin and naproxen) Like many i do not wish to give up my job as it has many psychological benefits for me . but due to the nature of my job i may struggle but keep trying whilst i am still able. am aware that i am not as bad as many sufferers
lynda 24
UKFM Newbie

Postby kat88 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:01 pm

I'm also off work sick at the moment I have fibromyalgia, joint hypermobility syndrome and all the lovely side symptoms that go with it! I'm 26 and a single mum, my symptoms were getting on top of me and starting to effect my day to day life with caring for my son. I thought I could take 2 weeks off and have a little rest... 4 months later and I'm still off work which I hate but I know physically I can't go back right now. I got my self a personal trainer thinking if I strengthened my body I could get back to work quicker buy sadly this made me worse and caused a massive flare up! Listen to your body, if you feel ready to go back to work then go for it but don't push yourself or ignore the signs that you need to take it easy!

Xxx
kat88
UKFM Newbie

Postby Trish140363 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:05 pm

Yes I'm still working...its hard sometimes but I'm self employed as I have my own taxi company.. I suppose I can take a day off when ever I like.. I try not to tho...

I was awarded pip so taking days off is not too much of a problem as the extra money from pip helps
xx
Trish140363
UKFM Member

Postby jim100uk » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:23 pm

My partner was diagnosed 6 years ago (aged 29) and the only time she has had off work was when a sickness virus combined with the worst of her FM symptoms. She was off for 4 weeks and that was around the around the time of diagnosis,. She had to change her job to work part time for 6 months; however since the winter of 2009 she has worked full time in retail management and is working 50+ hours per week plus travel time of 10 hours per week. Yes, she is exhausted when the adrenaline of the job isn't there and because it's retail she doesn't even have the luxury of 2 consecutive days off per week. Most days she really struggles to get out of bed (usual start 06:00) as her arms won't work and she has a back injury as well but she is a very determined lady. Unfortunately it means we don't always get to do much on her days off as she has to rest. She does suffer from an almost permanent headache as well (Acupuncture relieves it but we can't afford it regularly) . I don't know how she copes but I support her as much as possible by looking after the household chores. Luckily no children.

For the record her main drug is Amitriptyline (taken in the evening) which she has been on for years and she has Naproxen for the days when her back is really painful. She also takes a stomach lining tablet and vitamins B & D prescribed by her GP.

Daily movement and determination :-x are essential ingredients in fighting against this invisible evil !
jim100uk
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia