throat

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

throat

Postby debs67 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:19 am

Had it for ages got a feeling as if there is a lump in my throat and keep swallowing to try to get rid of it , but it feels as if its still there. Dry throat to , keep drinking but throat still feels dry. It isnt my thyroid as bloods came back ok . Any one else has this feeling and is it another fibro symptom
debs67
UKFM Member

Re: throat

Postby Suzie02 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:07 am

I get this also and take zantac it helps alot x
Suzie02
UKFM Newbie

Postby scoke » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:45 am

Me too. Sometimes so dry it feels like it's stuck together, often feel like I have a lump in it and every so often, in phases I get what feels like something stuck right at the back of my palate (I imagine it's a bit of grain husk) which actually feels dry to my tongue - maybe like a spot so I wonder if it's an ulcer. I also seem to choke a lot these days, that can be caused by anything or nothing and, if food's involved, particularly, I cough until I sneeze.
Although my latest blood was for the first time, only borderline, the doctor put me on a very small dose of thyroxine which didn't help - made no difference to any symptoms (long story) so I'm off it now. It's all getting better on its own at the moment, that's why I think it's FM related - comes and goes in phases.....
Not sure what to advise to help - constantly sipping water doesn't help but sometimes sucking a boiled sweet can
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby jacson » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:34 am

Yes I get this too! Have got an underactive thyroid and have been on thyroxine for 12 months, but this throat symptom started about six months ago, I sometimes have difficulty swallowing food if it's very dry so I make sure I have water with my meals. I wonder if it's fibro related or not???
jacson
UKFM Member

Postby Meulan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:18 am

I've had problems similar, too. I've had Sjorgren's syndrome for many years (dry eyes, dry mouth) as well as Fibro, but recently, about the past 3 months have been having difficulty at times in swallowing (saliva) and breathing at the same time!

It is very frightening, and I do believe it's Fibro related. Perhaps the muscles in the throat go into spasm as they do elsewhere in our bodies. I have a ventolin inhaler which helps a little but I find rest, leaning back on pillows, seems to take it away eventually.

I've been told that I hyper-ventilate also, probably when having a panic attack, so mouth-breathing makes the dry mouth worse. Just wish they could find a solution to help relax our poor aching muscles!
Meulan
UKFM Newbie

Postby Susan Stokes » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:06 pm

This site is absolutely brilliant. Things that we cope with day after day and it's only when you hear of other people with the same problems that it slots into the jig-saw that is Fibromyalgia. I have had these problems for about 50 years, the GP told me I had a cyst at the back of my throat. Doesn't bother me all the time but every so often it seems to swell up.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby stephdawn » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:55 pm

Hi guys. I've had this condition for quite a while not long after I was diagnosed about 10yrs ago. It is one of the main side effects of fibro. I always keep sweets/mints with me at all time. This helps to a degree, I did start with gum but then suffered with a bad jaw pain and was told that it can make the muscles in my jaw go into spasm so was told not to use that any more. I really hopes this helps any of you. :-D
stephdawn
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:52 pm

I have just been dx with typical symptoms of reflux and is pretty much as you describe, i also noticed a tickly cough after eating, like the food had irritated my throat but its really reflux....have been px Lansoprzole for next few months to see if anything changes
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby katz65 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:11 pm

I have the dry mouth & yes sometimes it is so dry it feels like my mouth is stuck & can't open it...
Don't have the feeling of a lump in my mouth though...
Mentioned the dry mouth to GP but he just said it was from the medications I am on...
It has been interesting to read that others have this & that it may not be the med's...
It is horrible & I hate talking to anyone when my mouth is dry, so I keep a bottle of something to drink with me where ever I go, that way I can keep having sips to keep it moist... :scream-1:
katz65
UKFM Member

Postby Gilly52 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:31 am

Hi katz65

I can sympathise with the feeling of a dry mouth, to the point of where my lips feel stuck together. have you tried Biotene Saliva replacement gel, I find it helps, it's not that cheap approx. £7.00 a tube, available in chemists and online, some GP's will prescribe it, as the dry mouth is the result of medications, which helps if you are entitled to free prescriptions.

I also get the choking sensation quite often with food, I have to cut everything up small, and I am a slow eater,
I have large tonsils so swallowing for me has been troublesome in the past, but it is something that has got worse with fibro

Take Care x
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:42 pm

This was one of my first horrible symptoms. Took me a long ole time to finaly work out what was wrong. I went through 5 different lots of antibiotics, gargled all types of pain medications and took antiacides etc but...

In my case it was my neck and front wall chest muscles and TMJ disorder which is associated with FM

The stiffness around the neck and throat cause a golf ball feeling. With wearing a mouthguard and having trigger point therapy around the neck and front chest wall this symptom is no longer bothersome.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Spooky, yesterday I felt a massive lump in my throat that wouldn't shift all day! I think most of the time I get this or dry mouth it's a side effect of my medication so I just ignore it and drink gallons of water.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia