intolerences

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

intolerences

Postby kay_87 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if any other fibromyalgia sufferers have food intolerences that came along with or after their fibromyalgia sympotoms? I have recently become intolerent to bread, rolls and pizza bases, and had no problems with them before, but now i become very bloated and have awful stomach pain when i eat them.
kay_87
UKFM Member

Re: intolerences

Postby natmac73 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:42 pm

I'm exactly the same.....and funnily enough platers too! They make my skin blister....all since I have been diagnosed ...x
natmac73
UKFM Member

Postby lancashire-lass » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:44 pm

I have had fibro for many years, but only given definite diagnosis 5 years ago. I also have wheat intolerance, and that was diagnosed 8 years ago after many, many tests at the hospital - I also have IBS which was diagnosed last year by the hospital.
lancashire-lass
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:59 pm

Hi kay_87, i have dealt with a lot of stomach issues myself and even though not perfect it has helped me big time as i can now eat foods that i haven't touched in decades and the reason is because i have introduced yogurt to my diet. Maybe this could help with your issues, but do make sure it's probiotic yogurt.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby kay_87 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks everyone,
ive had IBS symptoms also so must all be part of the fun of fibromyalgia :( xxx
kay_87
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:17 pm

I didn't eat wheat (knowingly) for about 15 years then started again about 14 months ago. I can't say that I got away with it all the time, but sometimes the bloating and pain was worth it just to eat a slice of bread. Had a wheat free day yesterday and I had more energy and didn't need an afternoon nap. Had a piece of fruit cake around 4.00 this afternoon, by 5.00 I was asleep. Worst problem though is lactose - I can occasionally eat live yogurt and really well matured cheese.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby Pete » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi Kay
Another one here that suffers from food intolerances mine started about 10 years after my fibro started and i am dairy and gluten intolerent but as long as i am carful what i eat i can keep in check but it is very restricted on what i can eat!
Also another factor is the cost of all this dairy and gluten free stuff :( but on the plus side i feel better with no dairy and gluten diet. :-)
so just got to be careful what i eat.
pete :roll:
A Good Laugh A Day Can take Your Pain Away :D
Pete
UKFM Member

Postby Brian » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:40 pm

kay_87 wrote:Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if any other fibromyalgia sufferers have food intolerences that came along with or after their fibromyalgia sympotoms? I have recently become intolerent to bread, rolls and pizza bases, and had no problems with them before, but now i become very bloated and have awful stomach pain when i eat them.

Yip I'm the same
Brian
UKFM Member

Postby lizashfield » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi, I have to be on a gluten, wheat and dairy free diet. Anything else makes my migraine and/or IBS worse.
lizashfield
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:35 pm

I had all sorts of problems with IBS type symptoms, but like someone already said i now include a yoghurt in my diet most days and don't really have any problems any more, except for when i eat too much sugar, but that's my own fault. The yoghurt i eat is a normal whole fat fruit yoghurt as low fat ones tend to have added sugars and probiotics are a waste of time and money.

As part of my job as a staff nurse working on a cardiac unit where patients had had a recent heart attack i would counsel patients about diet. The one thing we don't need in our diet is sugar and when we reduce the sugar we often reduce the fat as well as they often come together. Try not to eat too many pre-prepared meals, but if you need to i would recommend marks and spencers or the special range from sainsburys - in otherwords make sure they are good quality ones.

Also if you think you have an allergy/intolerance to something try and get tested and then you can get the proper advice from a dietitian.

Also eat butter and whole milk but sparingly. We are not children and do not need the required pint a day.

All bread unless you make it yourself now contain soya even the expensive stuff and if they tested people for soya intolerance most people would prove positive.

And the usual - eat lots of different types of fruit and vegetables every day.

Also remember to eat when you take pills, unless you have been instructed otherwise. Our poor stomachs become like toxic waste dumps for all the pills we ingest.

Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:21 am

I wouldn't say I have any intolerances per say. I was diagnosed with ibs around two years pre fibro. My tummy will bloat randomly mainly after having a gassy drink. Hasnt always been that way but has happened as I've gotten older. I cant pin point what foods do this as its so random :-?
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:41 pm

I've had IBS for oooh about 15 years, but only developed Fibro a year ago.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby becxy1970 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi all I have intolerances to yeast, lactose and aspartame. I have IBS and swell up and look very pregnant when I have had something with yeast in it.
becxy1970
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:31 pm

becxy1970 wrote:Hi all I have intolerances to yeast, lactose and aspartame. I have IBS and swell up and look very pregnant when I have had something with yeast in it.

What is your reaction to aspartame?
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Fibrad » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:47 pm

I have had some allergies for many years related to chronic rhinitus (grass/house dust etc) but since FB problems emerged (3+ years ago) and diagnosis (1 year ago) my allergies have multiplied to the point that I tend to stick to things I know suit me. I am medication free (other than over the counter pain relief) as have been violently sick. Same allergic reaction happens to certain foodstuffs (prawns, seeds) and intolerance to many (dairy, wheat & fried foods). I have a lot of indigestion and bloating whatever I do (by bedtime I look pregnant most days!) It is all definitely FB related as I never had these problems to this extent until recently. My diet has become very boring and any change (in ingredient or time of eating) can upset the balance and make me feel rotten - sometimes if I am craving something I go for it, knowing there will be a price to pay! Have avoided probiotic yoghurts as dairy an issue - am I right in this, or does the advantages of the live cultures outweigh the disadvantage of the dairy content of the yoghurt?
Fibrad
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia