Amitriptyline

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Amitriptyline

Postby dejay » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:24 pm

I have been taking Amitriptyline for many years now,maybe 12 years, and I think of all the meds I take I would would give them all up if I had to, but I would not give up my Amitriptyline,I take it about 9 pm then go to bed and read till I nod off,I do get up for the loo a couple of times, but back to sleep again,But as many have said what suits one may not suit another, I think it is trial and error for most meds now,I have tried many over the years but I think I have the right mix at the minit, Good luck to all, I hope everyone finds the right mix that helps, lol
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby Chellejireh » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:35 pm

Having been informed previously of some of the problems voiced here, I take small dosage to help with sleep very occasionally...only if little or no sleep(worse than 'normal' for me) for more than a fortnight - this way I can survive..without nasty side effects or dependency. It works for me at this point :) x
Chellejireh
UKFM Newbie

Postby LibbyWick » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:06 pm

Sorry to hear so many of you have had problems with Amitriptyline. We are all so different. I wouldn't give it up unless someone came up with a proven alternative. It helps my pain and helps me sleep. I also take Duloxetine (Cymbalta). Occasionally, I'm asked if I'd like to give that up, because it's expensive, "not on your nelly" is my response. I ran out on holiday once .... until then I didn't realise just how much it helped. Hope you all find a good balance.
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Postby shazzer67 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:13 pm

I was prescribed Amitriptyline a couple of years ago, however, I really don't want to start on the roller coaster of forever increasing meds! Reading your posts has made me even happier with my decision. I feel groggy enough at the best of times, so genuinely don't want to feel any worse! X
shazzer67
UKFM Newbie

Postby GQM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:44 am

I was started on 75mg and didn't know the difference and then told by the neurologist to up it to 150mg. I decided to take it one pill at a time and when I got to 125mg I had severe dry mouth and no improvement.
I am now down to 25mg. At the Dr's in the morning and getting off it as it's not the wonder drug for me.
I'm now suffering from severe hand and foot pain, you can get by with sore hands but feet just means you can't move.
GQM
UKFM Member

Postby BMaldive » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi, I too have tried Amatriptyline and suffered the same results feeling like a zombie, so I decided to do some research on natural products. I found 5htp helps its a natural product, it also helps with producing serotonin as fibro sufferers lack in. Warning- a report linking sleep tablets to dementia has been broadcast on the news of late so be careful in your usage of sleeping tablets. I do everything I can to avoid relying on them. Such as essential oil diffuser, Epsom salt baths, I take magnesium citrate before bed that helps you sleep. Or relaxing music and reading. Hope this helps works for me. :)
BMaldive
UKFM Newbie

Postby Patsb » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:48 pm

I've been on 10 mg of amiltryptine for 2 years.it certainly helps me sleep the only downside I've suffered is weight gain. :twisted:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:16 pm

I started on 10 mg and am now upped to 30mg, my gp recommended me to go to 40mg which i did try but i didnt like the side effects and 30 mg has given me enough of my life back that i dont have to pack in work.

just give it a go, Ami isnt as addictive as other meds so if you do increase slowly you can come off at the same speed also!
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:27 am

Patsb wrote:I've been on 10 mg of amiltryptine for 2 years.it certainly helps me sleep the only downside I've suffered is weight gain. :twisted:

I'm surprised to hear that. I havent gained weight from it. Sorry hun x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:11 pm

I started with 10mg and as with many people, it helped me sleep...for about a week and then the effect wore off. So I went up to 20mg...then 30mg. I've been on 30mg for about 4 years now (though occasionally take 40mg if I'm having a particularly bad day). It definitely helps me sleep. I don't sleep right through the night, I tend to wake up a few times....but the difference is I now get back to sleep again, rather than lying awake for hours. And even when I'm awake, I'm lying in a very relaxed state of mind...I don't have that horrible thing of thoughts running through your head and not being able to switch off. When I take my Amitriptyline, there is nothing going on in my head at all! The only thing is I need to take it early in the evening - around 6pm if possible, but definitely before 7pm, or I feel awful the next morning.

So I would say it is worth persisting with, even if you do need to increase the dose. Good luck with it :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:29 pm

There is nothing worse than insomnia. Its awful. I'm so thankful I can now sleep. My body knows if I've forgotten my ami. I lie for ages unable to switch off then I realise why! It's not often I forget it but its awful when I do!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby suco » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:17 pm

My GP gave me Amitriptyline 25mg just two days ago. First night I had a really good sleep...Last night? Woke six or more times in pain !! It's SO frustrating.
suco
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:52 pm

As with all medications and fibromyalgia the results can dramatically vary from person to person, I found that yes they worked, but I was unable to function well during the day. I'd lose myself in a daze, my children would ask for things and I'd let them have it, having no recollection of doing so!
But, several of my friends swear by them, talk with your gp, ask loss of questions, if your not happy at so :)
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:23 pm

suco wrote:My GP gave me Amitriptyline 25mg just two days ago. First night I had a really good sleep...Last night? Woke six or more times in pain !! It's SO frustrating.

Amitriptyline needs time to build up in the system and fully take effect, this can take up toma month, 6 weeksish in some cases. Whilst this takes place, sleep can be as erratic and elusive as it was before starting to take it.

Give it some time to see how things go. If, after a good while, it doesn't seem to be helping, then go and see your GP as the dosage may not be at the right level for you and need changing.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby suco » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks
suco
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia