What exercise do people manage?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What exercise do people manage?

Postby Fraggle1805 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi I am very newly diagnosed and am still coming to terms with actually being ill and struggling to adapt. I have a busy life, work 2 nights a week, 2 children (one with special needs) and the many other tasks that come with being a busy mum. Somehow I am still managing my night shifts despite being constantly exhausted. Sometimes just getting up from the sofa seems like a workout. It's nearly 2 years since I quit the gym due to being ill. I used to do kick boxing and circuit training. I really want to do some exercise but no idea what. My feet, achilles tendons and knees hurt so running out. Cycling makes my hips hurt. My wrists hurt and one shoulder frozen and agony with any movement. What are people able to manage? Just need some ideas x
Fraggle1805
UKFM Newbie

Re: What exercise do people manage?

Postby tanyawales » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:23 pm

I do as much as possible. Everything hurts, but I need to get up and get out and do something anyway, for my sanity if nothing else! I go to the gym and do weights and circuits, and go out running provided its not cold. At the very least, I take the dog for a long walk on the beach or up the mountain. I try to exercise at least 5 times a week. I throttle back when feeling too exhausted, but generally feel better about things if I do go and get some exercise. It also helps me sleep, and it keeps the weight off, which is vital. I have degenerative disc disease in my lumbar spine, too, so I know that any movement is generally blooming painful, so as long as I avoid twisting/tortional movements, I can do what I want. Yes, it hurts, but I'd rather get out and about than give in to this stupid set of syndromes/diseases/etc that I seem to have acquired. I'm soon to be 48, I work full time too, as a lecturer (which is interesting when the fog comes in), and am a mum to 6, with my second wedding in the summer. Keeping active keeps me feeling alive and that life is worth living. I deal with the pain with the MST Continuus, Gabapentin, Zapain, Ibuprofen and Oramorph. And keeping warm!! I guess what I've learnt from this forum is that everybody has their own particular journey/experience with FMS and that we are all very different in the way it hits us, and the way we manage it.
PS I am also recently diagnosed (Dec 2014), and the diagnosis did not really change anything, just allowed me to understand my symptoms and gave me permission to pace myself a bit more. And work have been fantastic.
tanyawales
UKFM Newbie

Postby jacson » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi there! I find that I can do most of my physio exercises in the swimming pool, it's not so painful, I swim one length, walk back the other length, for about five/six times, but the water has to be warm otherwise my muscles cramp up. Then ten minutes in the jacusi and ten in the sauna. I am lucky there is a spa locally and it doesn't cost the earth. Good luck :-D
jacson
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:46 pm

I also used to do lots - five times a week at gym ; swimming after any of aerobics, weight training, kick boxing, dance, yoga and Pilates classes plus walking, yoga, tap dancing, badminton and some tennis at other times. After diagnosis I tried to carry on with some of it - yoga, swimming, walking,, badminton, dance and aerobics where I sometimes had to adapt the exercise to my ability or particular problem at the time but the pool was often too cold, aerobics sometimes became step which I had to do minus the step as I couldn't cope with stepping down and sometimes would trip over the step however low. I started to find it difficult to get out on time for the classes, then felt exhausted after each one. Despite getting an extra covering over the handle of my badminton racquet I still couldn't grip it for a whole game - it all became too much and I felt a failure. Now I try to walk for about 20 mins daily, I swim where the water and air outside it are warm and have done yoga but can't find daytime classes in my area at the moment. It's so much less than I want to do but I am grateful that I can at least do this.
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby Fraggle1805 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:21 pm

Thanks everyone, it isn't just the pain. I feel dizzy and like I am going to faint if I do too much. It has given me some ideas so thank you x
Fraggle1805
UKFM Newbie

Postby migrembe » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:05 pm

Well if i manage to get dressed in a morning i call it a good day! I have symptoms of fibro for 11 years (ish) was diagnosed 4 years ago after a fall down stairs and since then my life came to a stop. I had to give up work as well. I have also been diagnosed with Chronic fatigue syndrome.

Personally i would listen to your body and do a little of something every day, but if you have two children and work two nights a week i would say you are already doing a lot.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:21 pm

I'm with migrembe on this one.. just managing to get up and move about is usually all I can do (and even that is too much some days).

If I'm having a 'good' day I can manage a short walk with hubby and dog, but I mean short. Usually hubby has to walk dog himself for it to have an enjoyable, decently fast walk :-D

Sometimes I have tried swimming (not since weather got cold though) and I did find it was good cos I didn't hurt while I was in the water. But it was very easy to overdo it because of this fact. But enjoyable too.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby pedaller » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi fraggle I used to do kickboxing zand but dropped after being diagnosed I still do some weight lifting purely for resistance nothing really heavy and I will skip sessions if ifeel unwell or run down. I took up cycling slowly building up the disrtnace yes it does hurt but ifind again pick your days and used you r meds properly as its a low impact exercise
pedaller
UKFM Newbie

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:08 am

I'm afraid I generally don't have time to 'exercise' as I'm too busy, but I walk a couple of miles every day getting to work and back, going shopping at lunchtime, etc, and I spend a lot of time on my feet in the kitchen, gardening and walking the dog, so I don't worry too much about it. II would like to start running again, but it will probably not be till Spring, too cold at the moment and my hip and back are playing merry hell with me. I also keep meaning to start doing some Pilates, yoga, and some light weights as my flexibility is suffering and I have muscle wastage from 2 years of not keeping properly fit since I moved jobs and stopped cycling to work.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:36 pm

I used to work in a gym, so exercise was my bread and butter so to speak:) Like many of you that's almost impossible, getting up, dressing, being mum are hard enough. However, my physio gave me exercises for water, she also said no longer than 30 mins as its very easy to do too much and hurt later.
Just be careful, pushing past pain really isn't good for you, listen to your body and you won't go wrong xx
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:08 pm

I agree that you already do a lot!

I don't do much at all as walking is slow and makes me very dizzy. Hydro does a bit too so when it does I take it easy and do about 20 mins. I will go back to swimming as I love it, but I pace myself and only do about 12 lengths and lots of floating, then time in the jacuzzi. I used to do about 100 lengths easily but just can't anymore.

I try and get out most days if I'm up to it, often I end up unable to get dressed through. If I do get out that involves driving so after that I'll do a bit of walking usually to get to my hospital appointment! After I've done my pain programme I'll have a lot more time and am hoping to do yoga and more walking.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Fraggle1805 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:11 pm

Thank you everyone. I think I am just a bit down at the minute. Am exhausted and not sure if fibro or meds. Had a Saturday off with hubbie and kids today and wanted to get out and do things but still not dressed and have a night shift soon. I thought exercise might help my energy levels but not so sure. Am waiting for cortisone injections with ultrasound on my shoulder on the 24th Feb and waiting for a referral to the pain clinic. Think I need to accept meds may need adjusting as my shoulder in particular is agony. Sorry for the moan.
Fraggle1805
UKFM Newbie

Postby ixel-chick » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:30 pm

Fraggle1805 wrote:Sorry for the moan.

Don't be sorry! And you're not even moaning (although that's allowed!) - I think we're all amazed at how much you're already doing. :-D

Not certain of the medication you're on. Are you on any antidepressants?

If not, have you done any research on how they help with fatigue for people with fibro? Not suggesting you rush out to the doc, but you might want to have a good read about it.

One helped me get rid of the fatigue, but the side effects were too great to stay on them. I'm glad it happened that way, as it means I continued to look for answers, and am now on a different sort of antidepressant that's gotten rid of both the fatigue and the pain. (I am not depressed... this was the reason I had to come off the first ones - they made me depressed)
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:49 pm

Cardio and hand weights. I do this as much as I can. The cardio is a workout via the Wii and also do Just Dance on the Wii. I've done Pilates but not for a while. I keep saying I must get back to it as it really is useful for pain management and calmness. When I started my core muscles were newrly non existent which was why I had terrible lower back pain but it strengthened greatly when using that exercise.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Fraggle1805 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:22 am

ixel-chick wrote:
Fraggle1805 wrote:Sorry for the moan.

Don't be sorry! And you're not even moaning (although that's allowed!) - I think we're all amazed at how much you're already doing. :-D

Not certain of the medication you're on. Are you on any antidepressants?

If not, have you done any research on how they help with fatigue for people with fibro? Not suggesting you rush out to the doc, but you might want to have a good read about it.

One helped me get rid of the fatigue, but the side effects were too great to stay on them. I'm glad it happened that way, as it means I continued to look for answers, and am now on a different sort of antidepressant that's gotten rid of both the fatigue and the pain. (I am not depressed... this was the reason I had to come off the first ones - they made me depressed)

Thank you. I have 30g of amitriptyline on a night but seem to be doing nothing then codeine and tramadol on a night but taking the tramadol more than I should be. To be honest I was that relieved to get a diagnosis I didn't really ask about pain meds at rheumatologist appointment and he said he is referring me to the pain clinic. The pain in my neck, shoulder and arm is unbearable though. It's agony 24/7. I am going to ring the doctors on Monday to discuss further. Thank you.
Fraggle1805
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia