What exercise do people manage?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: What exercise do people manage?

Postby ixel-chick » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:46 am

Fraggle1805 wrote:30g of amitriptyline

It is one of the ones listed on the NHS webside (well, tricyclic anti drepressants are, and amitriptyline is one of those) for the treatment for fibro. :-D

However, I shall quote myself here, with a section from the notes I brought with me to the docs to get anti depressant for the fatigue:
“Treatment” (I can deal with everything else, as long as I can get a little bit of energy!):
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. If a tricyclic antidepressant fails (why p*ss about starting with the rubbish stuff?) to bring relief, doctors sometimes prescribe a newer type of antidepressant called a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). As with tricyclics, doctors usually prescribe these for people with fibromyalgia in lower dosages than are used to treat depression. By promoting the release of serotonin, these drugs may (I know it's only “may”, but they way I am feeling, “may” seems like a gift from the gods) reduce fatigue and some other symptoms associated with fibromyalgia. The group of SSRIs includes fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), and sertraline (Zoloft). Newer SSRIs such as citalopram (Celexa) or escitalopram (Lexapro) do not seem to work as well for pain as the older SSRIs.

I had already researched my back-up, if that didn't work... which was duloxetine and milnacipran ( in my mind kind of like one step above the SSRIs, and two steps above the tricyclic ones). I never tried a tricyclic one, as I didn't want to "start with the rubbish stuff". :-D And yes, my notes were written just like that, with my own thought added in different colour. Massive brain fog at the time, and had to write everything down. I'm not saying the tricyclic anti depressants are "rubbish", I just didn't want to start at the bottom of the ladder - I wanted to get better asap - so I went for what I read was the best to help with the fatigue. :-)
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:44 am

Ixel - are you taking duloxetine and milnacipran together? If yes, have you found that combination works for you? My GP and I are trying to find a combo that works and gets along with my other long term meds that will allow my pain meds to drop some.

Tia xx
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:56 am

zoomie wrote:Ixel - are you taking duloxetine and milnacipran together?

Oh goodness me no! :lol: I'm only taking milnacipran (free of both pain and fatigue. I take NO other tablets). But if it stops working, or I get some long-lasting side effects (currently none, but the first week was a bit rubbish due to nausea), I have plans on trying duloxetine. So far so good though. :-D

I first tried sertraline for the fatigue (and it did wonders), but it made me depressed. I didn't want to start with the drugs that I think of as on "top of the ladder" (duloxetine and milnacipran), incase the ones a step further down worked for me. I found no relief for the pain on the sertraline, though... so in the end it all worked out just fine that it depressed me, as it made me try something that took both my pain and fatigue away. :lol:
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:02 am

Thank you ixel :)
I'm taking duloxetine to stop incontinence, but it doesn't seem to do a whole lot for fibro, but it's very early days and we're fiddling about with the dosage etc. So who knows :) x
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:17 am

zoomie wrote:Thank you ixel :)
I'm taking duloxetine to stop incontinence, but it doesn't seem to do a whole lot for fibro, but it's very early days and we're fiddling about with the dosage etc. So who knows :) x

I do hope the duloxetine will help for the fibro too - it would be fab if it could help you in two different ways... kind of like having your cake and eating it. :-D

I've also found that my IBS has improved since starting on my tabs... and I can now eat food I haven't bee able to eat for years (brekkie this morning - two slices of toast, with tons of mayo, cheese, chillies and leek! Both chillies and leek has been a no-go for me). I was a little puzzeled at first, but figured that since the milnacipran can cause constipation in people, it was instead doing wonders to my dodgy tum. :lol: I did google it (I thirst for knowledge, my brain has been comatose for a year), and happened upon a post where someone had been in the initial test groups for Savella in the US. He/she claimed that if they didn't get approval for fibro, they would have tried to get approval for IBS instead. Haven't managed to confirm this somewhere else, but found it interesting cosidering my IBS has improved (currently there's only garlic that I'm aware I react to).
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:39 am

That's a double bonus for you! I don't take anything for IBS from the docs, but I do have lots of natural yogurt etc and I avoid nightshade foods - chillies, peppers, tomatoes etc and that seems to work well enough.

Yes, I'm really hoping the one pill can sort incontinence ( it's helping loads) and help with fibro, my doctor is one of those that listens and helps, so I can come to him with ideas and theories and he looks into them also.

I spent the last three years on a bit of a rollercoaster, several surgeries left me in a constant flare, with bits of me failing, it's now time to work out how to live the best of life while consuming the least amount of medication. :) one of the most important things for me right now is getting some weight off, I've been taking high dose steroids for years (lupus/cancer) and now resemble a beach ball, :yikes: the only way is up! xx
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:58 am

zoomie wrote:I spent the last three years on a bit of a rollercoaster

My goodness - hasn't it just!!! Well - for someone who's been through so much - you're doing amazing.

Yes, me too. Ideally I would be drug free (I'm not very healthy, I smoke 30 a day, and basically live off Pepsi Max... I don't need to pump my body full of more poisons! :lol: ), but that's not an option, I was not functioning as a human being, so had to find a solution. If drugs are what it takes, then so be it.

That said, I am not against drugs, I just prefer not to take them. I eat Paramol like it's Smarties when I'm mid cycle. :-D But only beacuse I got no idea how to fix the blooming Mittelschmerz (idiotic body, giving me horrendous pain for NO reason apart from one cell deciding to start it's exit out of my body).

Wishing you the very best of luck with the weight-loss!
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:31 pm

Ideally I would be drug free (I'm not very healthy, I smoke 30 a day, and basically live off Pepsi Max... I don't need to pump my body full of more poisons! :lol: )

I'm a smoker too :( I use an e cig to try to smoke less, but I find when the pain is just more than I can cope with I reach for a cigarette....obviously it doesn't help, but I guess it's something else to concentrate on! Lol

I love Pepsi, but I worry about aspartimine :( so try to avoid, nothing is easy huh! My son bough me a cannabis vaporizer for Christmas which does help with pain, but because it's not socially acceptable in reluctant to use it (I have two young children at home too, so don't want to give an anything goes idea to them)
Please don't take too many paracetamol, they are scary bad for you, you really would be better off taking something alongside them to better effect while not hurting your kidney so much :) xxx
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:12 pm

zoomie wrote:I love Pepsi, but I worry about aspartimine

Ah - yes the Phenylalanine. I was shocked when I first discovered it, and learnt what it was/does... but now nothing shocks me anymore. :lol: All food is full of stuff that's harmful, and to top it off all meat is pumped full of antibiotics, so even that doesn't work aymore. :lol:

I know the Paramol's no good for me... but it really does the trick. I haven't found anything else that does as good of a job as they do. Many years ago Feminax used to be atleast twice as good as Paramol is, but they changed it (dangers of addiction? Too damaging?), and now it's rubbish.

On the upside I take no painkillers when I have my period. Get proper nasty backache, but it's alright. Heatbelt on, much better within minutes. But the mid-cycle... I cannot believe how painful it it. Hubby calls it "spike"... if I suddenly stop in my tracks, hold my breath and grab a hold of him without saying a word, he just goes: "Spike?". I once tried to explain what the pain felt like, like something the size of an orange full of spikes poking out of it, trying to push it's way though my tubes, and thus the name came about. :-) It had improved over the years, albeit still painful, but with my new tabs it's back in full swing. Nevermind, hopefully I'll go though early menopause. :-)

I think your two young kids would appreciate you feeling better, much more than they'd worry about a cannabis vaporizer. :lol: As an added plus you'd be categorised as a "bad*ss" if they spread the word to their friends. :lol:
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:07 pm

My mum used to get terrible ovulation pain, she would swear by atour of gin (with a go!) Urgh..don't wish on your menopause, I had all my girlie bits removed 3 years ago, hell!

Anyhoo... Love the bad a$$ comment ;) xx
zoomie
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia