Work

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Work

Postby shelleyw21 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:47 pm

hi All, I have had Fibro for about 8 years now and have seen my health deteriorate over the last few years. I used to use crutches but have had to give up on the advice of my orthopedic consultant as it was damaging my shoulders so I have been coping with walking short distances and using a mobility scooter for longer distances.

I am one of the lucky ones who still work, mainly due to my type of job, I teach. So I spend some of my day sat at a desk in front of a PC and some time in the classroom where I can usually manage to sit on a stool or perch on the edge of the desk etc. So with that, a posh chair, voice recognition software and careful timetabling I have managed to stay full time.

However I have recently had a big flare up and was signed off work for 3 months and spent most of the time sleeping or just resting. I have now been back at work full time for 3 weeks and am already beginning to struggle again. By lunch time the pain in my back, legs and feet is unbearable which in itself leaves me totally exhausted by mid afternoon.

I can't afford to go part time but really don't know how I'm going to cope. More meds just put me to sleep so all I can think of is full time use of a wheelchair while I'm at work which would reduce the pain and hopefully the tiredness too. I just hate the thought of being in the thing in front of colleagues and students. Any advice anyone? Has anyone else had to resort to full time wheelchair use?
shelleyw21
UKFM Newbie

Re: Work

Postby Dee Dee » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:19 pm

I was advised walking and swimming helped with pain. Although, I don't swim, I do walk my dog twice a day. Some days I am so stiff I can barely get out of bed but I force myself to get up as my dog is relying on me. After a walk I do feel better, not pain free, but happy that I have managed a walk.
Dee Dee
UKFM Newbie

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:20 pm

If you really need to work what option do you have? I understand your embarrassment of using a wheelchair as I would be the same

I had to stop working but would love to get back to work but it's trying to find something I could do, it would need to be a none physical job
Brian
UKFM Member

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:52 pm

I've just read this it's worth a try

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2015/01 ... lgia-pain/
Brian
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi it's a tough decision and one that I haven't had to face yet.. I use two elbow crutches all the time at work, and recently started using a wheelchair for 'days out' and shopping trips but as of yet I don't need to use it at work.

But if I had to.. well, yes like you I would feel embarrassed but you need to use what you need to use to help you manage your illness. I certainly would rather have a job with a wheelchair than no job :-) And it sounds like you would too.

And you would be surprised how easily your colleagues might react to you using a wheelchair, especially as they have already seen you use crutches. For instance, I keep my wheelchair in the boot of my car so it's there if we go shopping etc. A couple of my colleagues had noticed it was there, and they were totally accepting of the fact.

From the sounds of it, I think wheelchair use at work is the way to go for you. But you also have to take into account if there are any obstacles (doors etc) that would be a problem, and how much your employers would be willing or able to make structural changes as necessary? (Not trying to be negative, it's just that it's amazing how many small things become a problem if you need to get a wheelchair through).

Good luck xx
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:01 pm

I would get one of these then the kids will think your cool :-D

http://youtu.be/zy5rkw4SeP4
Brian
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:34 pm

dazzleship wrote:But if I had to.. well, yes like you I would feel embarrassed but you need to use what you need to use to help you manage your illness. I certainly would rather have a job with a wheelchair than no job :-) And it sounds like you would too.

I agree with this. There is no shame in needing a chair, and if it helps you keep your independence and stay at work (which is sounds like you really enjoy) then I would go for it!

Also, dazzle's point about structural stuff is a good one. Is there any chance you can borrow a chair, and go in with it over the half term to test it out? At my old workplace (a college) they were always open over the holidays and that sounds like the perfect opportunity to try it and see how you go.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby suco » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:42 pm

Like DeeDee I have a wee dog. Unfortunately sometimes I feel awful but have to take him out. Can I ask , where do you get crutches or access to a wheelchair? Does your GP advise? Mines couldn't care less.
suco
UKFM Member

Postby suco » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:43 pm

Gave this the thumbs down by accident!!!! Sorry x
suco
UKFM Member

Postby kay_87 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Hey,

As im only 27, like you i didnt want to stop working. my work are very understanding so i do shorter days and can do remote working from home, so when you dont have your students you can do your planning ect in a comfier environment.

I too work with young people, and i have purple crutches, which they are think are great. So have a look for coloured mobility aids so you dont feel so down and drab about using them :) they dont have to be a bad thing. ( my wheelchair is blue) x
kay_87
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:01 am

suco in answer to your question.. you don't have to get crutches/wheelchair through your GP. although my GP at the time I got my crutches said it was a good idea to use them, I bought mine privately from an online store.

as for my wheelchair, I got it privately, secondhand but it was pretty much new condition.

hope this helps xx
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi, I had to go into a wheelchair to cope with work. My colleagues were, generally, brilliant. I did feel embarrassed at first but found it so much easier to cope. There were things my workplace hsd to do, like ramps outside fire exits. I use a wheelchair when shopping now and you do get the odd person give you a funny look but that's their problem. I hope you make the right decision for you. Good luck with whatever you decide.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia