liver

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

liver

Postby debs67 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:09 pm

Had results back from my gamma blood test , liver still not right. Been told i have an alcoholic liver even thou i dont drink. If the next lot of bloods come back raised again, have to have a liver scan done. Can tablets taken for fibro cause this problem or could it be from another condition. I know tablets have side effects. At the moment i take 9 in the morning and 3 in the evening .
debs67
UKFM Member

Re: liver

Postby ixel-chick » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:28 pm

Sorry to hear that. :(

It might be easier if we know which tabs you are on. I know that some have experienced liver damage with the ones I am on (although I do not have this currently confirmed, it might have been that the persons who got problems with their liver were on other tablets as well, as as I cannot confirm this, I can only take their words for it at the moment).
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby major64 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:36 pm

Hi
I am on methotrexate as have arthritis as well. I take folic acid to help with liver problems and have regular blood tests
major64
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:50 pm

I take 14 different lots of tablets which amounts to a lot, have regular blood tests, no probs in 10 years.
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:59 pm

debs67 wrote:Had results back from my gamma blood test , liver still not right. Been told i have an alcoholic liver even thou i dont drink. If the next lot of bloods come back raised again, have to have a liver scan done. Can tablets taken for fibro cause this problem or could it be from another condition. I know tablets have side effects. At the moment i take 9 in the morning and 3 in the evening .

Yes the tablets could be the cause. Hope the scan give you more idea of what is going on.

Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby justapain » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:09 pm

Gamma gt is not an accurate indicator of liver functionon its own.Ask your gp if other liver function tests such asALT AST orALP are normal.If so apart from alcoholic liver diseasethe most commom causeis medication especially painkillers ,anti inflammmatories ,paracetamol&numerous other drugs.This happened to me whilst taking anti inflammatories & paracetamol whilst living abroadwhere doctors seemed to believe in this test.& worriedme silly.They were convinced Iwas an alcoholicwhen I hardly drank!Iam an ex pharmacist & doctors should know betterthan rely on this test alone.Hope this helps!
justapain
UKFM Newbie

Postby Siouxiem » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:49 pm

I have tests every three months for liver function due to the Bendroflumethiazide tablets I take - they can apparently cause some liver damage. So far I have been lucky. So yes, I guess the damage could be down to the tablets you take. Sometimes it's like damned if you do, damned if you don't!
Siouxiem
UKFM Member

Postby debs67 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:12 pm

Ive been thinking it might be the meds im taking, but my gp never said anything about my meds. Im on naproxene, thyroxiene, paracetamol, duluxitine , hrt tablet ( would not be them because i was having the bloods done before taking hrt )tramadol. It is such a lot of different pain killers. :roll:
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:30 pm

debs67 wrote:naproxene, thyroxiene, paracetamol, duluxitine , hrt tablet tramadol

Here we go:

Naproxen: Elevated liver enzymes
Thyroxine: Abnormal liver function
Paracetamol: Only if over-dosed (as far as I can see... but of course this is based on paracetamol alone, not how it reacts with other drugs)
Duloxetine: Liver damage (itching, abdominal pain, dark urine, hepatitis, enlarged liver, increased liver enzymes)

:lol: Oh the joys! So, yes, it could very well be due to the meds. Considering one alone can possibly affect the liver, then I'm sure three, with the added paracetamol on top, could possibly be the culprit.

Is the Duloxetine not working for you by itself? This was to be my next choice of drug to try if the current one didn't do the job. :(
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby justapain » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:02 pm

ii WOULD THINK YOUR RAISED GAMMA GT RESULT IS DUE TO NAPROXEN &PARACETMOL.IF YOU HAVE AN UNDER ACTIVE THYROID IT IS UNLIKELY DUE TO THE THYROXINEWHICH YOU NEED TO TAKE.PLEASE SEE YOUR GP AS SOON AS POSS.h

i THINK YOUR RAISED GAMMA GT IS DUE TO NAPROXEN &PARACETMOL .ITIS UNLIKELY TO BE THYROXINE WHICH IF YOU HAVE A UNDERACTIVE THYOIDYOU WILL NEED TO TAKE .PLEASE SEE YOUR GP AS SOON AS POSS -HE SHOULD KNOW THESE DRUGS AFFECT THIS GAMMA GT TEST!
justapain
UKFM Newbie

Postby justapain » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:08 pm

sorry mods iam not very computer literate & know capitals are classed as shouting will make sure i don't do this again!
justapain
UKFM Newbie

Postby debs67 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:02 am

The duluxitine is for my fibro, paracetamol for my ostoarthrtis , tramadol for my back and my prolapsed discs. I personally think im taking to many different tablets , but saying that i have got a lot of health issues .
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby loverliesgal » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:21 am

I am having the same problems although my GP and Doc at hospital have been nice and called mine NAFLD - Non Alcohol Fatty Liver Disease. The only advice so far has been to keep my diabetes under control. Be a bit stricter with my intake of Carbs. Come off the paracetamol, and now have morphine, which to be honest works! A lot of the tablets I am on help with the creation of NAFLD, but if I follow what the docs have prescribed what ever the score is on my bloods has stopped rising. Not too sure as to why I can't dye my hair with a permanent colour, but hey ho, looks like I may go grey :D. It is worrying, sometimes my stomach looks like I am nine months pregnant and is absolutely rock hard. My CT scan also showed raised coeliac lymph nodes, which again they are monitoring. So I have had the best service from my medical team, so I suppose I should be a good girl and throw the cakes chocolate and puddings in the bin,

le sigh
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby debs67 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:39 am

This is what we cant understand, i was tested for diabetes and my bloods came back ok same as celesterol bloods. My doctor is at a loss as well.cos they were thinking diabetes as well. :roll:
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:37 pm

Paracetmol affected my liver and also gave me headache having o/a my hands was told to them regularly which I did ,then it got that I started with a lot of headache's , it was quite a while before I made the connection that I did not have a headache before I had the tablets the after a bit I would start with one ,the only tablets I can take is codeine and amitriptyline , have tried in the past to take a paracetamol just to see if they still do it and yes they do
kitten
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia