Strange smell sensation

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Strange smell sensation

Postby Fibrad » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi all
I've had a bad week this week, after several good weeks (less pain, more energy - joy!) The bad week has come from nowhere - have racked my brain to try and see what has triggered it - something I ate, did or just the awful weather! I am used to the ups and downs but am troubled by something I really don't understand or even know is related to FM. Yesterday and today I have had a strange smell in my nose - like burnt coffee or cigarette smoke. I was in a cafe yesterday and a pub today (light lunches) and thought the smell was there and was just lingering but it is still strong now (8pm) - it is quite overwhelming and unpleasant. I read somewhere that this can relate to an allergy to something. The last time I experienced this, I had been in a coffee shop. Anyone know what could be going on?
Fibrad
UKFM Member

Re: Strange smell sensation

Postby Ali170 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:25 pm

H I love,
there are lots of myths about smelling burnt toast, but this is an olfactory hallucination and can be caused by various things, it could be a side effect of medication. I know it might seem an insignificant thing but if I were you I would go to GP just to be sure xxx

Hope all is ok, take care x
Ali170
UKFM Member

Postby AliCat » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Yes I agree that you should see your GP as smelling burning could mean something suspicious xx
AliCat
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:11 pm

Hi All,

Yes, I occasionally get the smell of cigarette smoke, always in the same place and around the same time. Two nights ago I had a strong sense of pipe smoke. My OH couldn't smell it and when I moved to the other end of the sofa the smell was gone. 'I put it down to visitations from beyond'. lol.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:41 pm

I had it a lot when my fibro started and it was very odd. Sometimes like smoke, sometimes other stuff (can't remember now!). I don't get it so much these days but do find that my intolerance for cigarette smoke is very high, it always bothered me before but now sets me off on a coughing fit. People think I'm making a point when I'm not!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Fibrad » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:55 pm

Thanks all - will see GP - have googled it too and it does seem to be related to various things and some scary stuff but hopefully its nothing to worry about. x
Fibrad
UKFM Member

Postby suco » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:09 pm

This forum is great !! I sometimes get bad smells under my nose....no-one else can smell it!! I still have a lot to learn about fibromyalgia but it's good to know other people's symptoms
suco
UKFM Member

Postby debs67 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:15 pm

I smell a lot of toast. Its mad how fibro affects so many parts of your body. :(
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:38 pm

I don't get this but I think it needs checking x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Ooh yes I got toast too!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia