really cannot win!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

really cannot win!

Postby animeemo3 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:23 pm

hi all, haven't been online for a while - pretty hectic at the moment.
so, i was living in a bedsit (for nearly 4 years), constantly harassed and irritated by the druggie idiots the landlord allowed to move in. then, something amazing happened! i was offered a house! a proper house, not just a flat! as you can guess, i was thrilled! had a look, all seemed good, signed the tenancy and moved in , all within a week. (paid for it big time though, physically)
everything was going fine (except for the electricity and all those kind of bills, i had never done any of that before so i had to rush around sorting that out) for about a week, then we started to notice things that we didn't see when we first moved in.
the bathroom has a sloped ceiling, with a velux window in it and a pull cord next to it. the pull cord has a massive leak, dripping right over the pullcord base itself (very dangerous, didn't see it before as it was not raining) so we reported it to our housing association. they come out, confirm that it is dangerous and tell me they will sort it asap. then we got the shock of our lives.
our boiler could have exploded at any minute because they didn't replace it before we moved in and it is leaking in a place that it really shouldn't be.
so, not only can i not use the light in my bathroom because it flicks down the power switch, i also cannot have a bath or even have warm water to wash pots or hands as we cannot use the boiler! (it cost us £1.50 per hour to have it on, and it only filled half a bath) freezing water does not help my hands :'(
also, i am struggling really badly with the cold, it is impossible to heat the house as there appear to be many gaps everywhere that just leak out all the hot air. it is 10 degrees celcius in the house, the bedroom is even worse (no carpets anywhere in the house, all stone and wood floor - tried to combat this with some rugs and laid cardboard over the floor but very little improvement) and i am struggling with pain and muscle stiffness so bad. bought a halogen heater to help but it drains the electricity. every day is spent sat on the sofa with a quilt over me, three layers of clothing, gloves and a face mask as i suffer really badly with frozen nose and lips. can't even wear more clothes as we have no washer and no hot water to hand wash clothes!
i am loving the fact that we are away from all the idiots in the bedsit, but it seems like everything has just started to go wrong! :'(
i apologize for the rant, i just needed to let it out as i haven't spoken to anyone but my partner in months, and he already knows about it so its pointless talking to him.
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Re: really cannot win!

Postby ixel-chick » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:36 pm

Sorry to hear you're having such a rubbish time with your new house.

'fraid I don't understand if they have replaced the boiler, but it's to expensive for you to use? Or if you have no hot water due to a non-working boiler? If it's the latter, I'm pretty sure the housing associating has some sort of obligation to fix it.

Drafts... I know about those. :-D Cheap and easy fix is draft excluders (make your own from old clothes, won't cost you a penny), and you can buy that film that can go over the windows (it's cheap)... it looks a little bit rubbish, and although it goes on smoothly, a few days down the line there will be rippled - but it really works!

Woolly clothes are your friends! Cotton underneath, and woolly jumpers and socks on top. Wear a beanie. Yes, I often wear a beanie indoors... I'm ALWAYS cold. If you can afford it, Heat Holder socks are fantastic for keeping feet warm.

If you want carpets (I hate carpets... but then again I got loads of pets, and pets and carpets are never a good combination), and if you or someone you know is able to pick up items for you, then I suggest FreeCycle, and also the Freebie section on Gumtree. As long as you're not fussed about colour, something should pop up soon.

Wishing you the very best of luck!
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:56 am

okay first off congrats on getting a house :-) that is a big achievement and is far far better than the crummy bedsit you were in.

I'm as confused as ixel-chick about the boiler - it sounds like you can't afford it but surely that's not the case? where does the £1.50 per hour come from? is there a thermostat that you can turn down? (heating doesn't have to be on as 'high' as people think).

I don't know what your financial situation is but you could try asking the council for any help - like grants - for heating / insulating your home and getting carpets perhaps? (it's a very long time since I lived in council accommodation so I don't know what is available and what's not, but I know help towards decorating used to be given, so maybe the same will be for insulation/carpets)?

and yes use old clothes.. get some from charity shops maybe.. to use as draught excluders. doesn't have to cost a lot of money.

definitely wear warm clothes and lots of layers as ixel-chick also said. when I was younger we didn't have central heating in our council house and we would get out of bed and it was freezing, but we just wore lots of layers. as for not having a washer, well clothes can be washed by hand once you get the hot water sorted out :-)

there's nothing wrong with wearing lots of clothes indoors.. some people like to have their heating on so high in winter that they can walk around in a t-shirt in the house. I disagree with that line of thinking - maybe it's cos I grew up in a family without much money - but there is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing clothes and jumpers and layers in the house.

I would also suggest that you move your bed into the living room if possible and just sleep in there till you get the house warmer, that way you're not spending money/energy heating living room and bedroom.

good luck in your new home. stick with it and I'm sure you'll get things sorted out eventually. xx
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby animeemo3 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:24 am

Oops sorry for confusion, rushed to get it written down lol.
The boiler hasn't been replaced, it should have been replaced befote we moved in but it wasn't - the repair man who came out gave us orders to not use it and he disconnected it. The £1.50 per hour is the electric it used when I turned on the hot water.
We already have draft excludes all over the place but it's not really helping. The windows and door don't seem to fit properly and have gaps, plus half of the house is an exposed wall with no cavity so it's contributing to the cold as well.
We don't have a thermostat, just three big bulky storage heaters (I think they're storage heaters) that also suck the electricity and one of them doesn't work. All we have is those heaters and a little switch in the kitchen to put the hot water on. Is it just me, or is it a bit silly, the fact I have to have the hot water switched on 24/7 just to be able to wash hands ect? That would cost an absolute fortune! (I am already on the best electricity tariff going - spend many hours doing research on them)
I have tried to layer up as best I can (been sleeping and living in dressing gowns, jeans ext) but i have no clothes left. We don't have a washer and because it's so cold and our hands aren't doing so well with the wringing out, clothes just aren't drying. It's excruciating, trying to wash clothes in freezing water. We don't have the heating on apart from the halogen, which we huddle around. Too many gaps means all the warmth just leaks out even if we seal off one room.
Been to the council, they cannot help with things like carpets as we don't have children and it's not considered as a needed item.
It's been about four days now with no boiler and the housing association said they would get someone out the same day, but nothing happened.
Sigh. Oh the joys of adulthood eh?
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:48 am

animeemo3 wrote:It's been about four days now with no boiler and the housing association said they would get someone out the same day, but nothing happened.

Start chasing them tomorrow morning - they really should have fixed this asap!

Oh I know the joys of washing clothes by hand... it really is pants. :-D Can never wring the clothes out properly, and if they don't dry quickly, they will stink to high heaven. :crazy:

As I mentioned, if you can either yourself pick stuff up, or have a friend that can for you - you can get just about anything on FreeCycle and the Freebie section on Gumtree!

One tip is, people will often say "broken condensed tumble dryer, free for pick up". Well, broken might just not be as broken as thought. Mine "broke" too, stopped heating. Quick google, a few quid later (less than a fiver, inc delivery), and new little thermostat thingy bobs arrived a few days later... it was so easy to change. :-) Look like two little batteries with little casings on. Tumble dryer like new! And a bonus is that it also heats up the house (well, the room the dryer is in anyway). It's not expensive to run, as long as you do it in the evening or during the weekend.

Now and then washing machines will pop up too (as people get new ones, and want to get rid of their older models)... but those things are a pain to move. However, it's fully possible, we picked up our last one ourselves.

Things will get better, but until then, make the most of what you can. Have a look at freebies, it's truly amazing what people give away.
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia