Shoulder/arm pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Shoulder/arm pain

Postby Gilly52 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:37 pm

I have pain in my left shoulder which I think is starting in my neck and radiating down my left arm, with pins and needles in my hand.

Sleep is very difficult as I cannot get comfortable, it has been going on for 2 weeks now, with fibro over the years I have tried very many things for pain relief, generally in time I can ease fibro pain with heat pads, but this pain , heat brings no relief. The pain feels alien to me :roll:

I am taking my usual meds of amitripylene and pregablin........so I am running out of ideas with this one, and feeling soooo tired :(

I'd be grateful for any ideas or suggestions

Take care x
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Re: Shoulder/arm pain

Postby Garyl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:52 pm

Gilly know the feeling well pat two weeks been in agony with pain right hand doc said as infection am still struggling with it, only thing is helping me is gloves indoors
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Ali170 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi Love,

Could be a frozen shoulder or problems with nerves in your neck, maybe see your GP as it might not be Fibro related xxx

Take care xxx
Ali170
UKFM Member

Postby mamamaka » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:31 pm

You may have trapped nerves, have you tried acupuncture or chiropractor?
mamamaka
UKFM Member

Postby PollyDoodle » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi gilly52
I too suffer from shoulder, elbow, arm and wrist pain and pins and needles. The only thing that gives me relief from pain are cortisone injections. I normally have to get them every 4 months or so but things seem to have settled down recently. I hope you find some relief soon
;-)
PollyDoodle
UKFM Newbie

Postby ixel-chick » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:24 pm

PollyDoodle wrote:The only thing that gives me relief from pain are cortisone injections.

This was just what I was gonna suggest. :-D If it continues, go see your GP... if your GP is anything like hubby's they won't suggest this themselves. Grrrr.

Hubby went to the GP with really bad shoulder, and came home with a blooming heap of painkillers that didn't help. I sent him back to ask for a cortisone shot. He came home with even more painkillers. :lol: I asked if he'd asked for it, but he had instead asked for "something that helps"... so he got even more painkillers that didn't help. :lol:

Anyway, I sent him back again - this time told to "demand a cortisone shot". And he got it, one sore evening, and then a fully working arm and a shoulder free of pain. :-D

I have no experience with these shots myself (knock on wood), but I saw the immence relief my mother got from them with her shoulder. She used to get one every six months.
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:57 pm

My neck, shoulder and upper back were causing me immense problems when trying to sleep, as I could not get comfortable at all. However since using the TENS on that area on both sides, it has taken away the pain enough that I can lie and be reasonably comfortable and not in agony. Have you got a TENS machine as it's worth a try?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:48 pm

Pins and needles down into your arm sounds like a trapped nerve to me. A good physio should be able to help. I would go to a physio before I'd go to a GP (but maybe that's just because I have a fantastic physio and a useless GP ;-) )
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:14 pm

Re. cortisone injections, just be wary of them. They don't help everyone. I'd ask for physio first as it is unlikely to have a major negative impact and may have a very positive one.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Gilly52 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies, much appreciated.

I managed to get a GP appointment this morning, she gave me an extensive examination, felt it is not a frozen shoulder (which I was dreading to be honest.....sooo long in recovery), she feels it's more than likely a trapped nerve, given me strong painkillers, which I told her normally I upest my stomach, so she's given me Omeprazole to protect my tummy, I just told her it felt so different to the usual fibro pain, she then rang X ray dept at the hospital, so 2 hours later I was there having my neck x rayed. Got that done, quick lunch, then at the dentist mid afternoon, early tomorrow GP has requested a fasting blood test, to check diabetes, my father is diabetic, tablet controlled, he was about my age now when he developed it, so in 24 hours I have had my fill of medical professionals, but I want to get it sorted, not easy.....so fatigued with sleepless nights etc, brain fog doesn't take long to set in :roll:

Hope everyone is as good as you can be.

Gilly X
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:45 pm

Gilly52 wrote:Thanks to everyone for your replies, much appreciated.

I managed to get a GP appointment this morning, she gave me an extensive examination, felt it is not a frozen shoulder (which I was dreading to be honest.....sooo long in recovery), she feels it's more than likely a trapped nerve, given me strong painkillers, which I told her normally I upest my stomach, so she's given me Omeprazole to protect my tummy, I just told her it felt so different to the usual fibro pain, she then rang X ray dept at the hospital, so 2 hours later I was there having my neck x rayed. Got that done, quick lunch, then at the dentist mid afternoon, early tomorrow GP has requested a fasting blood test, to check diabetes, my father is diabetic, tablet controlled, he was about my age now when he developed it, so in 24 hours I have had my fill of medical professionals, but I want to get it sorted, not easy.....so fatigued with sleepless nights etc, brain fog doesn't take long to set in :roll:

Hope everyone is as good as you can be.

Gilly X

The problem with painkillers is that they are only masking the problem :( If the xray doesn't show anything, I would definitely go to a physio. If you can afford to see a physio privately, do that - you will get an appointment much quicker and you will probably get better results than with an NHS physio. I have no faith in NHS physios at all - I don't know whether it is lack of training or lack of time, but they are very limited in what they will do for you. A good private physio will be much more thorough and treat you as a whole person, not just as a pain in the neck (so to speak :crazy: )

I hope you get some relief soon. And good luck with the diabetes check x
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby suco » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:03 pm

Was sort of 'happy' to read this thread! I've a heart condition and I get a lot of shoulder/arm pain. It's so difficult, don't know if it's my heart or fibro x
suco
UKFM Member

Postby gthomas » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi,

Found this site due to having an ache in my rib cage in the last week or so.

To alleviate shoulder/arm pain go to a osteopath. At the begining of the year started to have a pain in my shoulder and over a period of time steadily it got worse then along with that started to have a pain in certain pressure points around my neck and one especially on my trapezuim.

Went to a doctor who gave me painkillers but didn't touch it really,but as i work in an university we have osteopath clinic as we run courses in the subject and students use us to practice on etc.

After a few treatments the pain went on my shoulder, still feel some aches and pins and needles but overall its helped a lot. They do a lot manipulation on certain points plus they crick your neck and back which can be bit alarming but it works. You need to do some excercises on your own butit helps a lot.

But now started to feel a bit of an ache in my ribs,i presume this due to those pressure points been pressed on,hopefully afte a week or so the ache should go.

Got another appointment in a fortnight,hopefully everything should be better by then.

So i recommend an osteopath definately.
gthomas
UKFM Newbie

Postby gthomas » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Also add using a cold compress like a bag of frozen peas works far better than any warm stuff,put a bag on for ten/fifteen minutes on the points that hurt relives the ache.
gthomas
UKFM Newbie

Postby funnylady » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:23 pm

YES I get shoulder and arm pain.
IT starts at my shoulder and moves down my arm to my elbow to my hand and same times it shouts down from my shoulder. :(
funnylady
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia