Chest pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Chest pain

Postby HALTONK » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:19 am

Hello everyone,

I have had a diagnosis recently of fibromyalgia. Anyone have really bad chest pain?! I am needing reassurance. I have had many tests to rule out cardiac causes but still have a regular issue of chest pain almost like a tightness/ache that radiates into my upper back, neck, shoulders and arms. I am on gabapentin which I think is helping for the awful arm aches however still havd the chest pain!! I can't cope anymore for constantly thinking there is something more going on!! I want to feel better and be active and keep at the gym etc but the chest pain is scaring me away from this!
Anyone else suffering this? What do you do to help this symptom?

Kelly
HALTONK
UKFM Newbie

Re: Chest pain

Postby carolad » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:58 am

Myofascial release might help.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:58 am

Hi HALTONK, careful not to get to upset as it's common to have a new something or other each day, try to keep calm and the symptoms should settle down somewhat.

I myself deal with this and use chiropractic care for this. Maybe try some gentle stretching and see if that helps.

Good luck and gentle hugs.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Kerrybelles » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:59 am

Yep I've been to Cardiac Investigations quite a few times. It's a nightmare. Now that I know it's down to Fibro I try and relax and stay calm when I get the chest pains. Plus heat pads help relax the muscles.
Kerrybelles
UKFM Newbie

Postby jinnty8 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:14 am

Before i was diagnosed with fibro i was admitted to hospital a few time with chest pain and fast heart beat even on holiday in major but it is just down to my fibro the pain hits everywhere including the chest i just lie down and think of my happy place till it passes i know its frightening but you get used to it and the fear of it being your heart passes you get to know the difference although it may take you months
jinnty8
UKFM Newbie

Postby Barbara H » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:14 am

I have been taken to accident and emergency three times with chest pains, they feel like contractions in my chest, in my back up my throat and into my jaw sometimes, and down my left arm. Not heart attack, they may think it maybe angina, not the type you get while walking up a hill, the type you get when you are at wrest. They have put me on bisaprolol and asprin, but nothing has showed up yet. Still having tests done. So where there may be a problem, it is quite possible this is just my Fibromyalgia.. Just hope mine is my Fibromyalgia. So just be careful, write everything down, and show it to your doctor when you go. Have you tried swimming instead of the gym, its more supporting to your body.
Barbara H
UKFM Member

Postby Puggers » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:35 am

Hi hun I know it's scary getting chest pains especially when the doctor either can't find anything or they treat you like your making it up, I suffer from the same symptoms too & I have fibro. I was diagnosed with a condition called costochondritis which my rheumatologist advised me is very common with people with fibro but general doctors don't seem to know too much about it & I had to get the info from various fibro support websites / Web MD website / NHS website etc & then take it with me to my doctor to get him to listen & arrange treatment etc but don't let them fob you off as you know your own body & you've already had heart issues ruled out so it sounds like you have this hun.

Your symptoms all match the same & the good news with this condition is that is not actually your heart so at least you don't have to worry about that, it's actually inflammation in the cartilage in your ribcage.

I hope this helps ease your mind hun & if I can help in any way let me know. xxx

Costochondritis is the medical term for inflammation of the cartilage that joins your ribs to your breastbone (sternum)

Signs and symptoms
When the costochondral joint becomes inflamed, it can result in sharp chest pain and tenderness.
The pain may be made worse by:
a particular posture, such as lying down
pressure on your chest, such as wearing a seatbelt or hugging someone
deep breathing, coughing and sneezing
physical activity
Puggers
UKFM Newbie

Postby Susan Stokes » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:34 am

Once again, you guys have solved yet another fibro mystery for me. I have been suffering this for the past few months. GP thinks it's acid reflux but I'm certain it's not. It's so reassuring to find that other people are having the same problems (not in a bad way), it takes away the fear and uncertainty that it may be something worse. Together we are becoming quite expert on this subject. I wonder what the next symptom will be?

Virtual hugs to everyone.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby redplanetgirl » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:40 am

Hi Live had fibro for several years now, and have just started to have chest pains, deep into my shoulder underarm and neck all on my left side, I too was thinking could be heart problem until I read todays topic so thanks for sharing there is always some new pain/symptom to deal with
redplanetgirl
UKFM Member

Postby HALTONK » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:39 pm

Hello again everyone!

Thankyou so much for all your replies! Is reassuring to hear people go through the same! Yeah I was thinking costochondritis! I used to love running but can't now due to the fatigue, shortness of breath/air hunger and unusual pains! I will try and stick at maybe the bike and swimming! Doesn't help that I have asthma too. It's just so frustrating! I am constantly telling myself get on with it but very difficult when the symptoms are just so persistent!

Hugs to to you all x
HALTONK
UKFM Newbie

Postby EvaHopingForRespite » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:58 pm

hi .. I get left sided chest pain quite frequently (among other things!) and attend for acupuncture and sports massage @ every 3-4 weeks which keeps me in check. But for a quick fix I find that slow deep breathing helps reduce the pain and eases the deep muscle soreness. Raise your shoulders as you breathe in. Be sure to breathe in as much as you can to really inflate the chest, take in a wee bit more. (You will feel the ' pain ripple' across your chest, back and around the ribs and possibly neck) Hold for a few seconds then release slowly. Only do a few then break for 5-10 mins before doing another set or you'll get light headed!
hope this helps you too :-)
EvaHopingForRespite
UKFM Newbie

Postby Patsb » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:06 pm

I often suffer palpitations and anew one is like a mini electric shock right in the middle of my chest.they happen more when I'm just sitting down than when im doing something. 8-)
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby bigmommas » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:30 pm

hi all I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and polymyalgia rheumatic and anemia for 2 yrs now and still cannot come to terms with all the different symptoms I get every day feel like a hypochondriac . I keep have to have time off work I am 60 yrs old and the last few days have been suffering with pain in my right breast but after reading your comments think it could be related to my condition. I am very grateful for this forum as it has been extremely useful and informative.i am on amitripiline diazepam the pain patches one of you mentioned earlier,naproxine,lethothroxine,omeprezeno land a steroid I rattle when I walk :(
bigmommas
UKFM Newbie

Postby Queenie_70 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Massive chest pain leading to cold sweats and difficulty breathing, thought there was an elephant on my rib cage, just while watching telly (when I had one). Many, many, ECG's later, heart is fine..phew....diagnosis.....Fibro sucks!!!!!!

:crazy:

xxxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Pompeyjoanne » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:45 pm

I have had to take today off work due to chest pains, I thought I was having a heart attack. Reading all the comments to this post has reassured me loads. Thank you to everyone who has written on here. I thought it was fibro, but having had it diagnosed for 7 years and coming across a new pain was quite unnerving! I am so familiar with FM pain, I just get on with it. This is new. I am relieved but also quite pissed off that there is more to come that I don't even know about yet. This Illness is so horrible :( x :yikes:
Pompeyjoanne
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia