Eyesight

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Eyesight

Postby macca » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi all, intersting thing happened this week. My wife went for an eye test, as its been a whilst since her last one and she's definitely noticed problems with the likes of reading the paper and reading text on a TV, especially trying to switch between the two. A lot of the time we find then when Fibromyalgia is mentioned to someone the usual response is "oh, what's that?".

When she saw the optician however he took note of her medical conditions, and when the test flagged up deterioration in both her near and far sight, he then told her how he's found that people with fibromyalgia are more sensitive to changes in eyesight than people without fibromyalgia.

Ironically even though he was telling her things had got worse she wierdly felt positive as the guy was acknowledging fibromyalgia and its associated problems as opposed to some of the worst medical related opinions of "it's nothing more than lazyitis!"

Anyone else found that eyesight problems have developed or existing conditions got worse?

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Re: Eyesight

Postby eileen4891 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi yes I have recently been to the opticions my eye sight had changed a little but it was my glasses were no good poor fit and not lining up lenses to eyes he also told me I did needed anti glare . which is caused by fibro . ii don't like driving at night now the glare from other car lights hurt my eyes .
eileen4891
UKFM Member

Postby Smurfy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi Mac

I was diagnosed with Fibro 2 years ago, I'm 42. I still work 30 hours a week as an administrator, but find the more tired I am the worse my eyesight is. Night driving has become a real no-no as the glare hurts my eyes so much. However despite regular eye-tests the optician can detect no change in the vision. She did acknowledge Fibro and said my eyesight probably seems worse with blurring etc caused by dry eyes and tiredness. She also suggested the muscles spasming around the eyes could cause intermittent poor vision, connected to the fibro. Interesting to hear how other people are affected.
Smurfy
UKFM Member

Postby shazzer67 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Yes, I do have issues with my eyes, & the reason I'm associating with Fibro, is the inconsistency of the symptoms! Blurry vision, light sensitivity etc. However, I understand the original message re: excitement that someone actually knows about Fibro! Kudos to the optician!
shazzer67
UKFM Newbie

Postby dangermouse1827 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:04 pm

Only recently been diagnosed with fibro and feels like someone has just made it up sometimes cause so many people have no idea what it is and when you explain they just look confused as for eyesight well after reading the other comments I am surprised that there is a like and glad at the same time it answers why I have blurring when switching my eyes from different objects it can take a few seconds to focus and bright light and glare are also a problem
dangermouse1827
UKFM Newbie

Postby Leslieann » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:46 pm

I have had Fibro for 16 years as far as eyesight is concerned I find that is changes from time to time.
It is worse when I am tired! Does anyone else have this problem?
Thanks Leslieann.
Leslieann
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:59 pm

I often get blurred vision and have many more floaters than ever. However my optician found no change in my current condition (one short sighted and one long sighted eye).
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Gentlydoesit » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:05 pm

:nono: Hi, I had a routine 2 year eye test done Nov 2013 which showed a deterioration in my eyesight. But by August 2014 I was having problems again so had another eye test done only to be told that I had got further deterioration in my sight which would need correcting. I was told it was due to the Fibromyalgia. So within 10 months I'd had 2 new pairs of glasses at £200 a time - so not amused! I like others commenting do find when I'm tired my vision is not as good. Driving at night used to be difficult due to headlight glare but now I'm not driving as I can't concentrate long enough. It's FM, I've got it I just have to get on with it. It's not going to beat me yet!
Gentlydoesit
UKFM Newbie

Postby Susan Stokes » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:15 pm

Yes, my eyesight is very variable. Got new glasses about 6 months ago and they aren't much help at all. I have varifocals and find it difficult to find the right spot for clear vision. Can't read text on TV, despite buying a bigger set. I think it all depends on how my eyes are at the time of the test. At my previous test, my eyes didn't settle to the glasses and I had another test after about 3 months. Totally different prescription, which suited me for 2 years. Glad you brought the subject up - that's another problem to add to my collection.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:12 pm

I wear glasses but yes I've found my eyesight seems to vary a little bit more than it ever used to. sometimes I can blink and get things to go completely sharp without my glasses which is cool but then when I blink again it goes back to the usual blurryness :)

I too get floaters but I try to ignore them cos I've had them checked and there is nothing amiss causing them.

I'm sure the last time I had my eyes tested I mentioned fibro to the optician and she did know of the condition and said it can cause eyes to change more than 'normal' peoples. because of the muscles around the eyes I believe.

oh and yes if I'm tired or having a flare up I find my eyesight is blurrier than normal.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Barbara H » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:56 am

Hello Everyone,
I have the same problem, my eyesight, it is the same as so many of you are saying, for quite a few years, my night vision is not the same, the lights make it very difficult for me, especially these new headlights people are getting. My vision can change, and yes, looking at my laptop, then the television shows me how bad things are. I can see the television but not details on peoples faces. Looking at this page, the white affects my eyes, I have to adjust the brightness often. My optician has only recommended dry eyes, so drops. When I have had problems, one optician did not want to see me, as it had only been three months since my test, he only agreed to do the test when he realized I had to pay for my eye test. I have been told no change by one, then yes change by another. Give up.
Barbara H
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia