Pregnancy advice please

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pregnancy advice please

Postby Lkilner1 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:42 am

Hi guys

I'm thinking of having a baby , aw lovely . I'm 32 and finally got the maternity instinct set in.
I'm looking for advice and experiences about pre pregnancy preparations , being pregnant and being a new mum.
I feel really nervous about not being able to take pain relief tablets . I can survive through the day . Survive being the word!
But can not imagine getting through the night without taking something to help . I take codydromol at present and tramadol if really bad .
I also use other pain relief like meditation , mindfulness , massage , warm baths , Ice packs ect so I'm pretty good with all the tools but still feel I need meds.

So any advice and experiences , good and bad , I would appreciate .

Also if anyone has any web site links to usefull info on the matter would be great .

Thanks
Lkilner1
UKFM Newbie

Re: Pregnancy advice please

Postby Cjalex » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:29 am

Hi I have 4 children In pregnancy you can only take paracetomol or co/codamol I'm afraid x x
But when you see that baby it will be so worth it xx best ever feeling x
Cjalex
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:01 am

I don't know from personal experience but I've read that pregnancy hormones make you feel loads better :-D I have 3 kids but only had fibro for a year. So I can offer normal pregnancy type advice but not with fibro advice x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Paula200 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi I fell pregnant at 38 having been diagnosed 10 years earlier I felt really good during my pregnancy I took no pain killers or other meds. I had to have a c section which was planned due to other illnesses. Hubby did the night feeds at weekends which was a big help and if he was getting ready for work and she woke up he would feed her, I am a bit selfish when she slept I slept some days it was 10am before we got up but I did it I took no meds until she slept through the night which was tough but worth it and when she slept during the day and I needed it I slept. It was and still is hard but worth it the Dr and nurses were wonderful. My daughter is know 7 and still sleeps 12 hours she us a good girl. Good luck it is worth it xxxxx
Paula200
UKFM Member

Postby Hannah24 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi,
I had a baby 8 weeks ago today. Everyone is different and I know that some people feel better during pregnancy and some don't. My symptoms changed slightly and I slept better which is weird as when I had my other two, before I had fibro, sleep was the worse thing during pregnancy. I did have to go back on some meds but on the whole it wasn't too bad. You can take certain meds and a lot are okay to take but because the drug companies haven't tested them on pregnant woman they play on the cautious side. There are a few which are big no nos but your doctor/midwife can inform you. Saying that one doc kept telling me to take ibruprofen which is definately not one you can take. I am still limited as to what I can take as I'm expressing milk still. I had to give up the breastfeeding as she had jaundice but probably for the best as it was painful trying to get her positioned and sitting in one position for too long. On the good days I still put her on the breast but expressing is definately easier
I'm managing okay now afterbirth but I'm not able to do a lot of what I did with the other two. We are having to seek help now as I am struggling to lift her etc...my best buy was the Doona car seat which has wheels on it.
Having older kids is also really helpful - they're my stars! They help out with everything and it's lovely seeing how much they love her
As I said, everyone is different and despite the problems it is so worth it. All my children give me so much joy and they're my reason for not giving up.
let us know how you get on and good luck. X
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Postby Holaholli » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:18 am

Hi there

I'm new to the forum. I have undiagnosed fibromyalgia (everything else has been ruled out). It started with nerve pain which has slowly spread to sore weak muscles this year. I'm 35 and have just found out I'm pregnant after 4 years of not using any protection. We had just given up the idea of having children. My husband already has two children and we didn't think it was going to happen for us. You'd think I would be happy when I found out (I'm now 6 weeks gone) but the truth is I have underlying happiness along with complete terror of how I will cope through the pregnancy and then look after this child. I will obviously have my partners support but worried he will have to give up work to be the main care giver and he doesn't feel up to it. My symptoms have increased a lot since being pregnant. Struggling to even lift my arms because they feel so weak. I really don't want to terminate because I would love to have a child of my own. Please can someone tell me that it will get better and once I've had the child it is possible that I can recover?

Thanks x
Holaholli
UKFM Newbie

Postby UnderSiege » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:44 pm

Well, I'm not ashamed to say I'm green with envy.

Everybody's loving, bonking and having kiddies and I can't even pull though believe me I've tried.
I'm jealous on all counts (especially given my best mate, the only old friend I have left who lives anywhere near me or has time for me anymore is moving far away in a few weeks and then I'll really have nobody but my s*** family)

Here's a question that bugs me a lot: How is it, all things being equal, that women (those who had partners pre-Fibro excepted) with Fibro can still get a fella even if it takes a while and even if he may have to make changes to be adequately supportive etc. BUT played the other way around it's an impossibility... Why is that?
Whatever happened to that whole sexual equality thing?
And what's the deal with, as has happened with some ppl on these forums, partners taking off as soon as Fibro comes into it? Wtf?
(I've already lost a wife for that reason btw, to osteoarthritis 9 years ago before Fibro)

Is it me? (decent looking, appearing about 10 years younger than I am, animal lover, compassionate... blah blah etc... all the things women say they are after only... no job, no house, not much money etc. thanks to damn Fibro...)
Am I being punished for something I have no idea of, not only with illness but loneliness and isolation?

All is painful questions and no comforting answers.
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Postby Holaholli » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:48 pm

Sorry you feel like that. I can empathise with you and I feel sure that my husband would never have got with me had I been like this when we first met. I always worry that he will leave me because he doesn't know he to support me very well and says he can't handle it although probably tries his best. I know people who have been left because of fibro and I know people who have found love despite having it. Don't give up. There is always someone out there, maybe it wil be someone who has similar issues who can understand what you're going through.

At one point I may have said the same as you in terms of being jealous but I can assure you my situation doesn't feel joyful at all at the moment and I really wish it was...
Holaholli
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia