Costachondritis help please

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Costachondritis help please

Postby Trish140363 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:40 pm

I'm sat her in the most excruciating pain with Costachondritis and am wondering if there is anything else I can do to help it. I don't wanna take any more pills as I'm already on cocodamol gabapentin and oramorph at night time. I do sometimes use extra power deep heat cream but it tends to burn when I rub a very small bit into both ribs and a hot water bottle sometimes helps but not today ... any advice please???

Xx
Trish140363
UKFM Member

Re: Costachondritis help please

Postby LizzieP » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:19 pm

I have this atm and it's awful, isn't it? Apart from all the meds and heat to the area, the only other thing I sometimes do is wear one of the shaper type underwears. The tighter the better around the ribs seems to help me, but I suspect it's a 'works for some and not for others' type thing, like so many ways of managing FM. Might be worth a try though...
LizzieP
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:38 pm

I know you've said you don't really want to take any additional meds, but it might be worth considering doing so, for a little while at least. The usual treatment for Costochondritis involves taking anti~inflammatories/NSAIDS such as ibuprofen or something stronger if needed to help ease/reduce the inflammation of the cartilage in and around the sternum/ribcage area.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:44 pm

I agree with Flup sometimes if things dont ease then it becomes necessary to resort to some meds :yikes: :yikes: have you tried a TENS machine
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:39 pm

This is one of my worst symptoms and have suffered well for many years.

This is how i try to help myself:

Eat little and often as being full or having a bloated stomach causes more pressure on the ribs, i always found symptoms worse after eating a meal.

I have a blue inhalor prescribed for me as i also suffer with breathing problems and it helps to open up the lungs as they feel like there being squashed and i struggle to breathe.

Freeze gel i found to be most benefit out of all the gels to rub around the ribs, back and front chest wall.

I have trigger point therapy to help with stiffness which helps pain and breathing or you can have a massage or any hands on therpay that can release stiffness and tension.

Anti-inflammitories is supposed to help the inflammation of the rib cartilige but must admit i dont find that much effective but worth a try.

Breathing exercises can help also.

A medication for IBS called spasmonal helps relax the stomach muscles which in turns helps relieve symptoms to.

I found standing in front of a hot power shower whilst massaging my sternum helpfull.

A mouthguard from the dentist can also help relive pain (if you have TMJ) as it prevents clenching the jaw which can radiate stiffness down to the front chest wall contributing to the costo.

I had a severe attack many years back and ended up in A&E a few times but they couldnt give me anything. I felt as tho i had bricks hanging from my neck and front chest wall and my breathing was bad and pain so bad i could barely sit let alone stand. I have tried everything. You have to see what suits you and i found that the trigger point therapy helped me the most.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby bridesmum » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:38 am

I have rib pain but it on the sides of my ribs not the sternum, it makes it hard to take a deep breath or cough. Does this sound like costocondritis or not? Thanks
bridesmum
UKFM Member

Postby HazelB » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:49 am

Costochondritis is inflammation of rib cage muscles, so can occur anywhere on the ribs x
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia