Cold Back

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Cold Back

Postby lotts » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I just wondered whether anyone else suffers from a pain in their lower back that feels like it is really cold inside. It doesn't feel cold to touch but the only way i can ease it is to use a hot water bottle. Over the last couple of weeks it has spread right up my back and i'm starting to wonder if it is my fibro or maybe something else (whenever there is anything wrong with me i always put it straight down to my fibro but someone suggested it may be a trapped nerve or something).

Thanks in advance.

Lottie
x
lotts
UKFM Member

Re: Cold Back

Postby rockstarpaula » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi Lottie, the trouble is when you suffer with Fibro, I think if we're unwell or develope a pain we tend to put it down to the Fibro, I know I do. but it would be best to get a doctors opinion just in case it is a trapped nerve.i know what you mean about a cold back. I often say to my partner that my bones feel cold, that's when the hot water bottle comes out. I start at my feet then right up my body until I feel warm again.good luck and I hope you manage to get it sorted. Paula xx
rockstarpaula
UKFM Newbie

Postby lotts » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi Paula,

Thanks for your reply. I know, the pain has been pretty constant for nearly two weeks but has stepped up to almost unbearable in the last couple of days. I work full time so am on surviving on a concoction of painkillers at the moment.

It's right at the bottom of my back that feels cold, like where your kidneys are. Made the mistake of googling my symptoms so have booked a doctors appointment to rule out all the mental things the computer has thrown at me; kidney failure, cancer etc. lol. Docts can't see me until next Thursday though which is annoying, it'll probably (hopefully) be gone by then.

I have a hot water bottle that i now just leave constantly at my desk then have another 2 at home so they're getting plenty of use atm lol.

Lottie
x
lotts
UKFM Member

Postby SianneArtarian » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:00 pm

I have also often wondered how much we just assume something is Fibro once we have been diagnosed and how dangerous that is in terms of not recognizing something that could be potentially serious, for example I often get muscle spasms on the left side of my chest which is Fibro but its made me worry if I was actually having pains there for another reason I may not even notice... I think if heat helps the symptoms you are describing and your painkillers don't then it would be down to Fibro because heat for me is the ONLY thing that really takes Fibro pain away, painkillers only take the edge off for me and I usually have a battle of conscience about whether the pain is severe enough to merit the nausea that comes with my meds. I would always mention it to the GP next time you see them, infuriatingly I often seem to tell my GP more about Fibro than he seems to be aware of however :(
SianneArtarian
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:01 pm

SianneArtarian wrote:I have also often wondered how much we just assume something is Fibro once we have been diagnosed and how dangerous that is in terms of not recognizing something that could be potentially serious

Its not just us but the doctors to. In my case my GP dismissed high inflammation levels, severe lower back pain and many muscle strains i get in my neck and back. "Fibro" & "Its just you" is what i got until he retired and i started to see another GP and in fact i had, had severe gallbladder disease which in the end i had my gallbladder removed, degenerative disc disease and my spine had curved inwards Plus now im being investigated for Ankylosing Spondylists from my inflammation levels and severe stiffness. :shock:

I do believe that being diagnosed with fibro is very dangerous to and so my advice is to always see your GP if symptoms get worse or knew symptoms appear and make sure there thoroughly investigated and not just told its fibro without being examined!
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia