any advice

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

any advice

Postby reb1981 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:53 pm

I try to do as much as I can and sometimes probably too much but I would like to know how you all cope when you have overdone it.
My partner and myself went for a long walk yesterday (long fo me anyway) and today I can hardly move, the bottm of my back is in agony, my neck and shoulders, my hips and the muscles in my legs are so stiff. What can I do, do you just have to wait until it passes. I have work tomorro and don't know how I am going to manage.............
reb1981
UKFM Member

Re: any advice

Postby sammyannc » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:07 pm

I have a very long very hot bath. Try some gentle stretches and you should feel a bit :-D of relief tomorrow
sammyannc
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:10 pm

For me it is definitely heat, rest but try to move gently so that you dont seize up then pace to stop overdoing things
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby soretro » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:15 pm

ditto the hot bath - I add magnesium salts into it too though, for when I've really overdone it. One can also buy a magnesium spray, but I prefer the magnesium salts added to the bath for a really long, soothing soak. And then rest as much as possible with gentle activity...hope you feel better soon!

ps the brand I use is BetterYou Magnesium Original Flakes - available from quite a few places online, and from good health stores - comes in a 1 kg pkt which is enough for a few baths!
Last edited by soretro on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
soretro
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:26 pm

Try a Tens machine for your lower back and hip pain and use wheat wraps or an electric heat cape for the neck/shoulder pain. When able try a hot shower with the water directed at the site of pain. Gentle stretches help to keep the legs from stiffening up. I do mine with my legs elevated on a wee stool whilst watching tv. Hopefully things will ease off a bit.
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby lynlyn1212 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:12 pm

I overdid it yesterday by going to Twickenham by train to watch the rugby. Had to walk from the station and back and was up and down in my seat for all the tries! Today I have the same symptoms you listed. I took solpadol painkillers and rested on the sofa having a pyjama day in front of TV. Have moved a bit and slept a bit and usually by the next day I am better again. The advice is always to pace yourself but sometimes for sanity and enjoyment of life I think overdoing it is sometimes even good for us. I am just always aware of when I am going to overdo it and try to plan in recovery time. Try to learn how long it takes you to recover after overdoing it in a particular way and be prepared for the coming symptoms. You just have to learn your own body's reaction to what you do.
lynlyn1212
UKFM Member

Postby fuzzyhead130 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:33 am

Agree lovely hot bath with Epsom salts,and be very gentle with yourself for a couple of days,oh and my person favourite my hot water bottle.
I have also discovered my idea of a short stroll differs greatly from hubbies lol !!! Xxx :shock:
fuzzyhead130
UKFM Newbie

Postby Polaris » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:50 am

Overactivity is the bane of Fibromyalgia and PACING can help. I don't always practice what I preach because Pacing can be very frustrating. The problem is when you have a good day you tend to do to much and then you spend twice as long recovering. The key to effective Pacing is working out your limitations. Lets say you can walk ten steps and that is your limit. To Pace effectively you need to take off 20 percent and only walk 8 steps; so it's about knowing when to back off. You then try to build back up to those 10 steps slowly, increase to 9 first but if it's to much go back to 8. Perhaps use a timer to set a limit on your activity.

You need to try and avoid the Overactivity Under-activity cycle which leads to a reduction in fitness

http://www.sdhct.nhs.uk/patientcare/pil ... 2%252F2014

http://www.cfidsselfhelp.org/library/pa ... ing-behind

Pacing Can Help Increase Activity

People often become frustrated when they are instructed to take breaks and to slow down (i.e., pace themselves) during a project. They believe that they will never get anything done and that the task will take two or three times as long. However, when the activity time is added to the time needed to cope with or calm down the increased level of pain, the sum is often longer than the time needed to build in breaks.

Consider an example of 15 minutes of vacuuming. Without pacing, this might involve 15 minutes of vacuuming followed by 30 minutes to manage a pain flare-up for a total of 45 minutes, with a flare. With pacing, in contrast, there might be three sets of 5 minutes of vacuuming followed by 10 minutes of rest for a total of 45 minutes, but without a flare.
Polaris
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:39 pm

I'm afraid I don't have much useful advice for you reb1981 other than what others have suggested re. Tens machine etc.

(as for a bath I wouldn't know, I am unable to climb into our bath :oops: :roll: ) It may help if it's an option for you. Alternatively, heat packs like the ones you can heat in a microwave, could help.

When I've overdone things (still happens a lot) I just have to give up on the following day.. if it's a weekend, just sit and try to rest, if it's a work day either drag myself in or have to take the day off sick if I'm feeling really bad. :evil: (Of course, sometimes the flare ups happen even when I haven't overdone it.. just one of the joys of having Fibro and EDS I suppose).

As for pacing.. I am in agreement that it is a good idea and something we must do. however, I will also be the first to admit that I don't pace as much as I should. Not because I'm awkward, but simply because it is incredibly difficult, when having a moment when I feel like I can do something, to stop when I'm feeling ok just because it is time to take a rest. (I'm sure I'm not the only one here who does that).

Instead I plod blindly on until the pain hits which of course is then too late and I have to stop and also suffer the pain of course. :roll:

One day I'll learn. :mrgreen:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia