Pain flare up and lack of relief - fed up!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain flare up and lack of relief - fed up!

Postby MPSGuy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:18 am

I've been under a lot of stress these last 2 months and had to do a lot of running around and physical tasks. Now things have settled down to normal again, but my body feels like I have taken a good beating.

I've been having problem with my knee (damaged cartilage) and I'm waiting to see a surgeon. The pain and swelling in my knee is making me walk funny so now I'm getting pain in my hip and in both feet too. My hands feel stiff and swollen but they look normal...

I take ibuprofen, paracetamol and codeine. They only work when I take the maximum dose of all 3 together and even then it isn't full relief. I saw Dr last week who said he didn't want to change my meds and when my pain is settled I should try to come off the codeine so I don't get any more tolerant to it. He said see another doctor in the practice about maybe getting a knee joint injection while I wait for the hospital appointment to come through.

Burning in my hands, feet, neck, shoulder, etc. Throbbing and stiffness in the knee. Stiffness in the back. I'm just really fed up with it. I have lots of positive things happening in my life at the moment but feeling so physically unwell really puts a damper on things.

:-x :-x :-x
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Re: Pain flare up, lack of relief - fed up!

Postby MPSGuy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:40 am

I took 1g paracetamol, 400mg iburprofen and 60mg codeine 1 hour ago and still I can't get comfortable because of my hip, back, shoulders and feet.

just a burning aching pain that is so persistent. My muscles feel so stiff and tight like they are going to snap if I move the wrong way. Does anyone else understand what I mean?
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Re: Pain flare up and lack of relief - fed up!

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 am

I have a constant, burning pain in my lower back, left hip and left leg - I'm told by a physio that it's down the sciatic nerve, but since I can walk, run, touch my toes, flex, stretch etc it's not actual sciatica just FM playing silly beggars with my nervous system. Sounds like yours. I also have a permanent shoulder pain problem and elbows that are so sore and sensitive, it hurts if I rest against them. So yes, know what you mean. I've learned to live with it. I have no medication other than Ibuprofen and paracetamol and even if I wanted something stronger, I couldn't as I'm allergic to opiates. Sorry I've nothing more helpful to offer than sympathy and 'I know what you mean'.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:49 am

Yes I can understand those feelings, all I can suggest is trying some heat and rest as much as you can. Have you got a TENS machine as that might help
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Garyl » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:52 am

Every sympathy, i been suffering still am first i had 3 weeks where my right hand was swollen, now that has nearly cleared up my left foot has gone out in sympathy am at the end of my tether but will keep fighting. Hope everyone is well
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:05 am

SchroedingersCat wrote:I have a constant, burning pain in my lower back, left hip and left leg - I'm told by a physio that it's down the sciatic nerve, but since I can walk, run, touch my toes, flex, stretch etc it's not actual sciatica just FM playing silly beggars with my nervous system. Sounds like yours. I also have a permanent shoulder pain problem and elbows that are so sore and sensitive, it hurts if I rest against them. So yes, know what you mean. I've learned to live with it. I have no medication other than Ibuprofen and paracetamol and even if I wanted something stronger, I couldn't as I'm allergic to opiates. Sorry I've nothing more helpful to offer than sympathy and 'I know what you mean'.

Yes that makes sense. I had an MRI a few years back and because of that I don't think it can be proper sciatica from a trapped nerve. As you said, it just feels like the nerves have gone hyper sensitive. Even feeling my clothes against my skin is unpleasant today.

I know the pain is probably muscular/soft tissue and it is not life threatening but it is still pain! So frustrating. Things have eased off slightly now those meds are kicking in. Can't even get an appointment to see the GP about joint injections until March! I would hope the hospital appointment comes through before then.

I don't have a TENS machine and I only have a small-ish bath tub which I can't really fit in comfortably as I'm very tall & a rugby player build.... so putting heat on the area is difficult. I had a hot shower last night which did help a little but as soon as I got out of it the pain came back. :roll:
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby divingforPearls » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi,
I hear what you're saying; I wish we knew more about this darned condition - what is this burning pain that some of us have almost constantly? In my case x-rays and mri's show nothing, the dr has felt my knees and they don't feel abnormal to her, nothing in my blood tests ie. no rheumatoid arthritis, I eat well, no meat, hardly any alcohol, I eat fish and take supplements, not overweight etc...How can my knees be OK ish one day and then in agony the next? (and then for weeks and months afterwards) - this suggests it is NOT a structural problem. So that leaves HYPERSENSITIVE NERVES which then take ages to calm down. Does this seem likely to anyone else? I danced for a couple of hours at my wedding last year and had NO PAIN the next day by the way ; so being ecstatically happy and supported REALLY HELPED. Stress, obviously, does not. What is this thing!!??? Is modern life just too complicated? Cos I'm not sure we can do much about that! :crazy:
divingforPearls
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Who knows, divingforpearls? I've given up worrying about it and just got on with my life. I keep an eye on places like this to see if there's any new research coming out, but that's about it. I've found the best way to live with the pain without spiralling down into depression and apathy is to keep working, keep moving, keep living. We built a greenhouse over the weekend, 2 weekends ago it was a shed. I was exhausted afterwards, but it was worth it. I know lots of people can't manage anywhere near as much as I do, and lots of people rely on medication to stay sane, I'm just glad I have this mildly enough to be able to go on with my life without changing TOO much. I really feel for people who have pretty much had to give up everything :(
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: Pain flare up, lack of relief - fed up!

Postby Patsb » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:05 pm

MPSGuy wrote:I took 1g paracetamol, 400mg iburprofen and 60mg codeine 1 hour ago and still I can't get comfortable because of my hip, back, shoulders and feet.

just a burning aching pain that is so persistent. My muscles feel so stiff and tight like they are going to snap if I move the wrong way. Does anyone else understand what I mean?

My legs and feet have felt like they are in a vice constantly for the past 3 yrs.i take co codamol.the thing that really drives me to despair though is the horrible sensation of humming/ buzzing under my skin in both legs. :evil:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi there MPSGuy

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time at the moment, and that it's so difficult to get a GP appointment (same here, I'm now trying each morning instead, in the hope to nail an app that someone's cancelled).

Have you tried ThermaCare wrap on your knee? Hubby swears by these things when his knee is in a bad way (it happens a couple of times a year).

I've tried the back ones, and they're absolutely wonderful.

My arthritis has spread to my knees (right one worst), and I've just ordered myself a knee brace, in the hope that if I use it during the day, then hopefully the knee won't keep me awake at night. That said, the current pain is peanuts, as compared to how it felt with the fibro pain mixing with the arthritis pain. Knees used to get so bad I wanted to get a sledgehammer and crush the kneecaps... as surely that pain would be better than what I was feeling! :lol:
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Siouxiem » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:56 pm

The pain can be a complete nightmare, can't it. I describe it as having constant raging toothache all over my body with someone performing root canal surgery without an anaesthetic in whichever joints or bones or muscles that decide to flare up each day. I take Co-Dydramol, Co-Codamol or Tramadol depending on how sever it is and how much I can stand it, not all at the same time though! :nono: The problem then is that I spend most of my time like a zombie, which I hate. :roll: Aside from Gabapentin which helps with the day to day pain I take another 13 different tablets for other ailments. I so sympathise with you and hope your flare up passes soon!
Siouxiem
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi MPSguy,

Yep I feel your pain. Whole body pain which burns like hell and you feel like you've done ten rounds with Mike Tyson. It totally wipes you out and yeah prior stress definitely has an impact. If you could manage to get yourself a TENS machine I'm sure that would help block the pain. Mine broke after 4 years use and Argos don't have any in stock here at the moment :yikes: Tried one from Lloyds and it went straight in the bin after the first use, it did absolutely nothing for my pain levels.

Here's a thought, does anyone remember Wintergreen Oil I think it was called. I used to rub it on after a training session, it heated up your body. If still available, maybe it would help with Fibro. Mind you that was about 30 years ago, so maybe it's been discontinued lol!
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby Tally1068 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:47 pm

The one thing I love about this forum is that I can check out others symptoms and realise I'm not going doollally, others feel the same.
:twisted: I'd got my fibro relatively stable, the meds were working (tramadol, pregabulin and amytryptilin) and I was beginning to walk again 13 months after breaking my back

Then, horror, my dog walker phoned to say she'd lost my dog. The panic for about 3 hours until he was found was horrendous. Living on my own he's my everything.

Next morning I felt as if I'd been kicked everywhere. I was completely wiped out and in a massive flare up. Increased the meds and the burning/tingling etc returned. So I empathise. It's back to bed until I can summon any energy at all. So far it's been 4 days.

Certain little JR's are in the doghouse, metaphorically!

:dogrun1:

:shooting:
Tally1068
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:50 pm

divingforPearls wrote: So that leaves HYPERSENSITIVE NERVES which then take ages to calm down. Does this seem likely to anyone else?

Yes, totally. I've been learning about the biological stuff at my pain management programme and it's really interesting. Basically (and I am heavily paraphrasing here cos I don't 'get' it all :oops: ) that the more pain you have, the more your body becomes 'interested' in the pain and actually develops new neurotransmitters to accommodate the extra ones. Or something a bit like that anyway. Rather than your body getting used to the pain, it seeks out more!

Stupid bodies :roll:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia