For the ladies...

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

For the ladies...

Postby katybaby411 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:37 pm

I was just wondering if anyone can relate to this..

When I am on my period, my fibromyalgia is a lot worse! There's the extra fatigue but I've realised the muscle pain is present everyday during this week. I get the calculated headache about 1 o clock every afternoon because of the back pain and I just wondered.. if there's anything I need to 'up' while on my period - any minerals/vitamins which would help during this time. At the moment I need a sleep in the afternoon just to get rid of the headache. It's hard enough feeling like crap during the time of the month but added with fibro problems... I feel about 90 years old. Not cool! Thanks in advance 8-)
katybaby411
UKFM Newbie

Re: For the ladies...

Postby iblinkin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi katybaby411, even though I'm a guy with fibro i can still appreciate your concern here as i am marrried and my wife has lupas (which is a cousin to fm) and she has a hard time as well at that time of month and the one thing i get her to do is replace the minerals that are flushed out of the body during this time.

One of our biggest challenges is maintaining our mineral levels on any given day with fibro and having to deal with this as a woman.. i do not envy anyone as i find this hard enough.

Maybe talk with your Dr. about this problem and if you are taking a diuretic, this will only make it worse as that also flushes the minerals from your body.

Take care and i hope this helps somewhat. :-)
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby hunneybet » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi, I have exactly the same symptoms. I take extra vitamin c and b12. The headache is so predictable as you say.
hunneybet
UKFM Newbie

Postby becbob » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:55 pm

My periods were horrendous, much more pain, fatigue etc. My doctor recommended that I have a coil fitted. I was sceptical at first but I relented because I was so desperate. It really hurt having it fitted but it only lasted a minute or 2. I have to say that it really has worked wonders for me personally. I get no more period pains, my fatigue is steady now and I barely bleed at all. Maybe you should have a look at getting one too and see if it might be something for you to consider.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby kay_87 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:28 pm

I used to have the worst periods ever...id faint with the pain.
i had the coil fitted but then i had perminent bleeding so had to have it removed, my dr then put me on a different pill to what id had before (combined one) and its the best thing ive done, i no longer dread that time of the month, no extra pain and very little bleeding. So its worth talkinh to your GP. Periods dont have to be the bain of your life :) xx
kay_87
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:53 pm

I dont think my periods are any worse, im always on for about 4-5 days and 2 of them are really heavy (they reckon an average amount for any period is 30mls per cycle, I use a Mooncup so I know how much i lose and and on the 2 heaviest days its at least 30mls a day)
I do get more tired and more crabby, ive not noticed a headache, but the tiredness is a struggle.
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Tuckvale » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:21 am

I am post menopause but my daughter has Lupus, she has a bad bad week when she has her period. Interestingly I have a bad fatigue week when she does! Weird but true? Hope you find some help xxx
Tuckvale
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:57 pm

I havent noticed any pattern in how my cycle affects my fibro. It seems it have a mind of its own!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Horsey2203 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi,
I am the same. I've recently been diagnosed with Fibro and have had more good days than bad since taking new meds, however, for about 4-5 days around period I might as well stay at home and go to bed. I am completely shattered and have a lot of pain, all the usual pain comes back, sore neck, back, hips, arms, headaches and cannot think - really hard to do my job. I am reducing my hours in June so that will help, but in the meantime, any advice gratefully received!

June
Horsey2203
UKFM Newbie

Postby bouncy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:00 pm

I had to have a hysterectomy and nothing could prepare me for the flare that followed. I have since been told that hormones really affect fibro which explains the horrendous periods I had before.
bouncy
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia