hands

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

hands

Postby kay_87 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:02 pm

Hi everyone,

Im feeling a bit down as my hands seem to be...useless. I couldnt even get conditioner out the bottle this morning :( its like being an 80 year old with arthritis, and im 27. Do any of you get this issue?

kay_87
UKFM Member

Re: hands

Postby Tinytots » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Yes and always dropping things. Been told its Carpal tunnel syndrome and physio gave me splints to wear :-?
Tinytots
UKFM Newbie

Postby Garyl » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:25 pm

Yes my hands next to useless had a infection in my right had but the pains were unbearable struggling to do even the easiest of tasks, fibro is evil and i sympathise with all sufferers
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby ktgreen123 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:29 pm

I was only talking to my physio about my hands this morning! I'm 25 so similar age and it makes me so mad when they don't work. I always drop things or can't grip. My physio said its very common in people with fibromyalgia.

I could cry some days because I just can't seem to function with my hands!

So you're not alone! X
ktgreen123
UKFM Member

Postby GayleRuth1978 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi,
In the past week my hands have been extremely painful, to thepoint where I cant type at work. I have splints for each hand from OT but i find them restrictive at work. The pain can be so intense it takes my breath away and I can feel very queasy.
Doea anyone find that they have sharp pains that can move around the body, ie be in your arms for an hour or so then move to your legs/ ankles?
I drop things all the time, I'm only 36 and it feels like I'm a pensioner.

Hope you all feel better.

xx
GayleRuth1978
UKFM Member

Postby Val53621 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi,
I've had fibromyalgia for some considerable time, yes it move round, some days worse than other, due to having the fibromyalgia and RA , also had both hands carpal tunnel done, but I could fairly scream at time, no matter how long you wear splints and all the other cocktail of drugs taken etc etc. You have my thoughts and empathy.
Val53621
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:51 pm

Yes, there are a few posts on here about this one. I have had problems dropping things endlessly, unable to grip a knife and fork, unable to squeeze bottles or unscrew things...the list goes on!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby migrembe » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:02 pm

i have developed shakes, the more tired i am, the worse it it, my Dr thinks it may be the pills, but as they are helping the pain she doesn't want to stop them unless the shakes become unbearable, but there are times when i feel like i have parkinsons - crazy - whatever next -

beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby claudine1288 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:11 pm

This hand problem is now one of my worst fibro worries, as I cannot even turn the key in the ignition, open a bottle of water, hold a heavy dish, let alone a casserole. Both hands have become extremely painful, and of course have lost any strength. Heavy doses of Voltaren do help with the pain but only temporarily, and of course wreak havoc on my stomach. I think winter makes things even worse, though I cannot be sure that I'll feel better coming summer. No doctor offers any solution other than surgery for my thumbs (heavily arthritic) but with no guarantee that things will necessarily improve, and I'm not eager to go through being deprived of my hands entirely for the three months I'd have to keep them motionless. :roll:

I hope you find some relief soon. Try not to strain your hands too much and don't be afraid to ask for help if possible.
claudine1288
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:50 pm

I too have been struggling a lot with grip lately, although in my case it could either be EDS or Fibro. Basically I struggle with gripping thin items.. I've always had a problem holding normal-sized pens and have always had to use chunkier ones instead.

But lately it's affecting my ability to use cutlery, to the point where (rather embarrassingly) my hubby has to cut my food up for me, even when we're having a meal out. Bless him, he doesn't mind.. but I do. :-x

But it's just one of those things isn't it? Just another (albeit annoying and upsetting) thing to get used to. I'm almost at the stage where nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to these illnesses.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:06 pm

I have 9 bottles of conditioner in my bathroom at the moment, trying to find one I can squeeze out is really frustrating and annoying. Shampoo is easier as it's a thinner liquid, although I leave the tops off now to pour rather than having to squeeze.
I got rid of my bath with bath boards (nightmare) and now have a wet floor shower with a little stool. I use Radox shower gel which I leave hanging up upside down, with the lid open so it comes out easily. These things may sound a bit petty, but it is part of one of our basic needs, to keep clean.

Just had my sleek bob cut into a pixie cut, a quick rub with the towel and a little gel and I'm done :-D No more blow drying and straighteners which was way too painful and energy zapping.

As others have said, I too have problems with my hands in all aspects of daily living. It's really just a case of damage limitability, trying to find things we can do, with a few little changes and experimentation.

Wow I'm having a positive thinking day... So unlike me lol.
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:48 pm

going to join in with this one my hands are the worst that they have any been and like every one get sharp pains ,no grip have to turn the shower on with a face cloth and off the only way I can grip it , don't eat peas can't keep them on the fork, my hands are either cold or hot and when they are hot they swell up my fingers resemble sausage :( wish some one in the medical world could come up with an answer to it , it seems you can have toes knees hip and shoulder done but if you have O/A In your hands as well as fibro ,it's tough you just have to get on with it :(
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby divingforPearls » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:27 am

Driving; I miss driving any distance...but at least at the moment I can drive for 10 minutes or so, so I am extremely glad of that. What is the 'thankful for small mercies' emoticon?
divingforPearls
UKFM Member

Postby JemmaB88 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:46 am

My hands have been playing me up for a few weeks now but last night I hardly slept at all because the pain is unbearable. I have just dosed up on pain killers, and rubbed biofreeze all over them. My son is having a nap so I can hopefully get some relief before the day starts.

I am feeling pretty flipping grumpy today! Got to attend a meeting at work as well (I am on mat leave!) so not in the best frame of mind. Grr.
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia