wrists/hands

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

wrists/hands

Postby mand » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:27 pm

Im in absolute agony :scream-1: , I feel as if my wrists are broken its the type of pain that knocks you sick. Was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome last year, given gabapentin but only taking the smaller dose just to stop the pins and needles (my decision).

Please any suggestions, im thinking of yet again :roll: getting help and no fobbing off. im feeling quite low at the moment due to pain cycle... gp suggests medication, I did ask to see occupational therapy but she said no it will not help. Think I will be more insistant, yep it is now affecting how I work and when I get home Im doing nothing....... ironing pile is like the leaning tower of pizza.

Many thanks,
Any suggestions welcome (including hitting it with a lump hammer)
M
mand
UKFM Member

Re: wrists/hands

Postby Gentlydoesit » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:08 pm

As your Dr diagnosed Carple Tunnel Syndrome did they not offer you wrist splints and the option of surgery?

I was given splints for both my hands to wear until I saw the orthopaedic surgeon. As the splints didn't help I went along the line of surgery. Unfortunately mine was unsuccessful, only had the right hand done as I decided I couldn't go through the problems again.
For anybody reading this post don't be put off having the surgery done if offered - my husband had this surgery done on both his wrists very successfully ( he doesn't have FM thankfully ).

Not sure what type of work you do but do you access to Occupational Health? They might be able to help you on the work problems.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Gentle hugs and good luck
Gentlydoesit
UKFM Newbie

Postby kitten » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:08 pm

Mand I can feel for you, my hands are so bad at the moment fingers swollen and at times find it hard to try and bend them they have got worse this last twelve months , in the past the rheumatologist, sent me for wax treatment where you put your hand up to the wrist in warm paraffin wax you dip them in and then when coated with wax they then wrap your hands in a towel , leave for about 10 min ,I had two attempts at this treatment but had to stop it, as it felt that my hands were burning even after a few minutes thanks to the fibro but if you get this offered certainly try it you may be ok with it . I know people with R/A as well as O /A who have benefit by it , was given compression gloves at the hospital but don't find them helpful ,hope you find something that will help you
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby Lk6 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:04 am

I have fibromyalgia and also had terrible trouble with carpal tunnel syndrome night time was awful you couldn't get to sleep for the pain and swelling and pins and needles I had both operated on the relief was basically instantaneous it was very successful unfortunately I had a blackout about a week later unrelated to this but fell and broke the wrist that had just been operated on and I ended up with CRPS in this arm. Please consider the surgery as splinting even if it helps is a temporary fix but the operation is very successful I was just unfortunate the other wrist is fine and has not troubled me since, I had a plastic surgeon do them and have heard they are better at it than general surgeons. By the way I was and still do have blackouts it was nothing to do with any surgery, they still don't know what causes them they suspected it was heart related as I had two heart attacks and a stent put in and also fitted with an internal loop recorder monitor to my heart but so far it has not showed that these are heart related blackouts.
Lk6
UKFM Member

Postby mand » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:59 pm

Hi,

I did see another gp, she is referring me for a nerve conduction test. She wanted to know why I am not using splints, I didn't know I had to wear them....she suggested that I purchase splints, upped the gabapentin a little, and see her in four weeks time....

hey kitten. I wouldn't mind that wax treatment....all over my joints, sounds lovely :crazy:

Lk6, that's a bit of bad luck having a fall, hope things work out well with your health problems

Im hoping I get a little relief from splints. Will let you know how i get on................. many thanks mand x
mand
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi Mand
Good luck with the splints let us know how you go on with them , my hands are so rubbish at the moment , just hoping when we get some better weather they will improve ,well one can live in hope
kitten
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia