The Gorilla in your house

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

The Gorilla in your house

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:18 pm

Acquiring a disability is a bit like getting home to find there's a gorilla in your house. You contact the approved and official channels to get rid of infestations of wild animals (in this case, the NHS) and they umm and aah and suck air in through their teeth before saying something roughly equivalent to "what you've got 'ere, mate, is a gorilla, and there ain't really a lot what we can do about them, see..." before sending you back home to the gorilla's waiting arms.

The gorilla in your house will cause problems in every part of your life. Your spouse may decide that (s)he can't deal with the gorilla, and leave. Your boss may get upset that you've brought the gorilla to work with you and it's disrupting your colleagues, who don't know how to deal with gorillas. You're arriving for work wearing a suit the gorilla has slept on. Some days you don't turn up at all because at the last minute, the gorilla has decided to barricade you into the bathroom or sit on you so you can't get out of bed. Your friends will get cheesed off because when you see them - which isn't often, because they don't want to come to your house for fear of the gorilla and the gorilla won't always let you out - your only topic of conversation is this darn gorilla and the devastation it is causing.

There are three major approaches to the gorilla in your house.

One is to ignore it and hope it goes away. This is unlikely to work. A 300-lb gorilla will sleep where he likes, and if that's on top of you, it will have an effect on you.

Another is to try and force the gorilla out, wrestling constantly with it, spending all your time fighting it. This is often a losing battle. Some choose to give all their money to people who will come and wave crystals at the gorilla, from a safe distance of course. This also tends to be a losing battle. However, every so often, one in a hundred gorillas will get bored and wander off. The crystal-wavers and gorilla-wrestlers will claim victory, and tell the media that it's a massive breakthrough in gorilla-control, and that the 99 other gorilla-wrestlers just aren't doing it right due to sloppy thinking or lack of committment. The 99 other gorilla-wrestlers won't have the time or energy to argue.

I have known people spend the best years of their life and tens of thousands of pounds trying to force their gorillas to go away. The tragedy is that even if it does wander off for a while, they won't get their pre-gorilla lives back. They'll be older, skint, exhausted, and constantly afraid that the gorilla may well come back.

The third way to deal with the gorilla in your house is to accept it, tame it, and make it part of your life. Figure out a way to calm your gorilla down. Teach it how to sit still until you are able to take it places with you without it making a scene. Find out how to equip your home with gorilla-friendly furnishings and appliances. Negotiate with your boss about ways to accomodate, or even make use of, your gorilla. Meet other people who live with gorillas and enjoy having something in common, and share gorilla-taming tips.

People get really upset about this and throw around accusations of "giving up" and "not even trying". They even suggest that you enjoy having a gorilla around because of the attention it gets you (while ignoring the massive pile of steaming gorilla-turds in your bedroom every morning and night, not to mention your weekly bill for bananas). The best way to deal with these people is to smile and remind yourself that one day, they too will have a gorilla in their house.
Last edited by Theresa34 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Re: The Gorilla on your house

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:32 pm

:lol: :lol:
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:37 pm

:lol:

I saw a cartoon with a black dog representing depression the other day. Gorilla would have been better. :-D
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Hannah24 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:41 pm

I love this!
I'm sure people who don't have a disability would read this and think what on earth are you talking about but I think it sums up life with a disability perfectly.
Thank you for putting it up on here as it made me smile...x :-)
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:50 pm

brilliant way to explain life as we see it and attempt to live it and the way forward, I see my gorilla as part of my life not being ill, thats a whole different game, I take my gorilla to work I introduce him to people who ask why I am heading head first into them as i get up off a chair instead of standing straight up, I celebrate when my gorilla behaves and I make a whole term at work with out it stopping me. If it stops me well i just accept hes having a bad day and rest up then start with the training all over again, I may even get into the habit of leaving it at home occasionally. :crazy:
galio
UKFM Member

Postby Spencer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:58 pm

What a fabulous way to portray this rather overwhelming condition :lol:
Spencer
UKFM Newbie

Postby galio » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:00 pm

can I please share this on my fb page, so many fowk struggle with understanding fm and i think this helps explain it so well
galio
UKFM Member

Postby Annie54 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:12 am

Brilliant!
Annie54
UKFM Member

Postby teresa40 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:16 am

Fantastic description!xx
teresa40
UKFM Newbie

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:57 am

Excellent description. Did smile at last paragraph. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby jacson » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:10 am

Very well put, it put a smile on my face, thanks for posting this. :-D
jacson
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:23 am

Someone posted it on my psoriatic arthritis fb page and I thought it was far to good not to share with you all. It covers all invisible conditions and it is the best I've seen for an explanation. And funny too :lol: Share away!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:39 am

That brightened my morning, thank you :-D :lol: x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby maryemm » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:21 pm

[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] Brilliant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
maryemm
UKFM Newbie

Postby widowsmight » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Theresa, I don't know you but I love you! :-P

So perfectly explained and what I try to tell myself every day even though it doesn't always work.

Thank you for writing this.
widowsmight
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia