Fibromyalgia pain is a topic on today’s Woman’s Hour on BBC

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibromyalgia pain is a topic on today’s Woman’s Hour on BBC

Postby UKFibromyalgia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:51 am

Fibromyalgia pain is a topic on today’s Woman’s Hour on BBC Radio 4 at 10am http://bbc.in/1LFLwMK

Pain and gender
A new film starring Jennifer Aniston explores what it’s like to live with chronic pain. In it Aniston’s character Claire is not just physically affected - her condition impacts on her emotional and psychological health as well. Chronic pain affects more women than men, but are women treated sympathetically by medical practitioners, or are they more likely to suffer in silence because they fear doctors won’t take them as seriously as men? Maria Mansfield has suffered from fibromyalgia chronic pain for 17 years, Joanna Bourke has explored how gender has influenced the treatment of pain in her book, The Story of Pain,and Liam O’Toole is CEO of Arthritis Research.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_fourfm
UKFibromyalgia
SITE ADMIN

Re: Fibromyalgia pain is a topic on today’s Woman’s Hour on

Postby debbiealison » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi yes I heard most of the interview and was pleased to hear it on a bbc channel we need more of this kind of publicity. I don't think we will ever be able to find a cure for it, it is to most gp's just another chronic pain condition. I always thought in my early days of this pain that it would surely need a biopsy on the muscle but I think I must be thinking to simplistic. Now I have cfs too ( and feel lucky than most that that's all I also have ) but think that is some thing that was caused by the fibro.

wow :-) I actually got to the end of the post without deleting it before I finished as I usually do due to the fog.
debbiealison
UKFM Member

Re: Fibromyalgia pain is a topic on today’s Woman’s Hour on

Postby denys » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:49 pm

This film is mentioned in another topic 'such a sad story' that a member posted about yesterday, missed the program but any mention in the media has got to help with getting the condition 'out there' will be interesting to see the reaction to the film
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia