Two Symptoms, anyone else have these???

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Two Symptoms, anyone else have these???

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi Gang,

I find, more and more often I have a croaky voice. I start to talk and I then just start jabbering like a frog. I think it is because I already have a weakened esophagus and so my vocal cords are also weakening. My concern, of course, is how weak will they become? Does anyone else suffer from this?

The other question is heart related. I was tested and it was confirmed years ago, as in, when I was in my 20's, I have a left systolic click. The valve in the centre of my heart that allows the blood to travel to the lower chamber does not always work correctly so blood travels, or trickles back up to the upper chamber. Anyway, the doctor who found it was military and he had a field day letting the nurses listen to see if they could hear it too. I later had an ultra-sound performed and it showed what was happening. Apparently nothing is done for it unless it weakens to the point a replacement is needed. Does anyone else suffer from this? And/or, is it fibro related, or just "one of those things?" The reason I ask is we, collectively, do attribute a lot to fibro, but they aren't necessarily connected. But, having said that, heart problems do exist.

(((hugs)))

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Two Symptoms, anyone else have these???

Postby tanyawales » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:47 pm

I get the croaky voice too! Which is interesting, as I am a lecturer, and keep running out of voice! The fibro fog is also a battle....I stand there in class and struggle to remember what I am supposed to be delivering....and am always, always forgetting the word I want to use.

Hey ho, that's life, I suppose, and my students are great and prompt me when I falter.

Chin up...Spring's on its way and life always feels better then xx
tanyawales
UKFM Newbie

Postby loverliesgal » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:56 pm

I too have the croaky voice, its a joint thing, the drugsI take, most of which produce a dry mouth. . and the fact that my vagus nerve is being played with by the fibro. In my case the dry mouth and swallowing/ choking problems have led to candida infection of my gullet, when my voice goes croaky I visit GP for a two week treatment of daktarin or similar, and my voice returns and I no longer sound like a man when I open my mouth. All this after having several endoscopy's and latterly a pressure test of my oesophagus with a nasal tube that was far too big for my nose, and the most painful uncomfortable thing I have ever had to endure. So I drink fluids or try, stick to soft food like mash and yoghurt and I get by, still waiting for the results of that nasty pressure test. My vagus nerve is affected from swallowing to the evacuation of any thing I eat.

But the heart thing, have had a murmur since I was sixteen, its a wait and see thing for me
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby cnedra73 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi, I would say your heart condition is just that. My younger brother who is mentally disabled has a similar condition but his is linked with his disability. As you suggest a lot of conditions overlap with fibro but I don't think this is. The croaking voice I'm not sure. Mine has been getting worse & I am coughing up phlegm, which is clear so no infection. But 2 years ago I also started to get thrush in my mouth when I became poorly but from the last time I developed I have not been able to treat it. So I've had it for 2 years. Not sure if it's all linked but it's strange
cnedra73
UKFM Member

Postby Paisleyjane » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi, I too get a croaky voice. My ENT consultant said it was because the fatigue made my vocal cords floppy.
I agree the tube through the nose is horrendous. :scream-1:
I am sure your heart condition is nothing to do with the fibro, maybe it just exacerbates the fatigue?
Paisleyjane
UKFM Member

Postby kazak » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:05 pm

hi ,
i also get a croaky(had to save and go back to this thread cos couldn't spell croaky) voice, and a runny nose especially when my head is down.
i also get the usual, brain fog, sleepless nites, inability to complete a sentence without forgetting words, thank god for sky plus cos when i watch tv my mind wonders and have to rewind cos have no idea wots the hell is going on. and now its taken me an age to type this. fibro yippee
kazak
UKFM Member

Postby becbob » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:09 pm

I too get the croaky voice. I thought it was just down to the start of a cold. I didn't a cold and the croak is still there. I have good and bad days with it. It doesn't hurt one bit but it does sound very strange some days, especially when on a bad day when it sounds like I have laryngitis. Another symptom to add to the wonderful world of fibro!
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Thrush in the mouth is a side effect of some antibiotics.
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:42 pm

I've seen sore throath listed as a symptom of fibro in quite a few places.

Although this list http://www.inspiredlivingwithfibromyalgia.com/2013/04/200-symptoms-of-fibromyalgia.html isn't on a medical site as such, it's a collection of symptoms put together by fibro sufferers. It's long. :-D Although it's longer than needed, as there's quite a few things repeated, with just a tiny variation (could have all been listed as one, "throath problems: Coughining, hoarseness and sore throath"):
3. Cough
14. Hoarseness
27. Sore throat

I too have mitral valve regurgitation (and I got tachycardia), and like you it's not looked at as anything they can/will do something with. Whether it's got something to do with the fibro or not, I don't know.

I did however read a very interesting comment on a site the other day, suggesting fibro is a secondary condition. And he/she (the person who posted the comments) went on to list various things that might be the reason for getting fibro. Of course I didn't bookmark it (aaaaargh!), and now cannot find it. I know they listed POTS as one of them. My interested was that they suggested that infections could cause the onset of fibro. One of these days when my head is in the right place I'll have a search for it again (one of my cats is missing! I'm currently just chainsmoking like a maniac trying not to freak out... it's less than 24 hours yet... so trying my very best not to panic).

----------------------------

Edit: 19 hour gone and my beautiful feline girl just wandered in! :lol: So, just did a search, found the comment I was looking for http://www.godammit.com/2008/01/14/fibromyalgia-sign-me-up/#comment-2390672 They only mentions POTS (nothing else regarding the heart), although says the list could go on and on...

And I love the comment on the end:
These patients already fight against their bodies — they don’t need to fight against non-afflicted, non-medical bloggers who are trying to stigmatize them, too.

(Now bookmarked, this will give me something to research on a sleepless night. :-D )
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:17 pm

I've had dry mouth as a side effect with most of my meds. Atm I've had it for a week and a half and have actually lost my voice twice! I suspect it started with a cold but may be the side effects of the tramadol. Have you just started taking something?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby lynlyn1212 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:55 pm

I lose my voice a lot and as a teacher that can be a big problem! I also get a dry mouth and croaky voice a lot but I put most of that down to taking Solpadol for the pain. I drink a LOT of water.
lynlyn1212
UKFM Member

Postby PMKing » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Dryness of the mouth and croaky voice, even loss of voice are also a feature of central heating and or air conditioning. If you are not getting it Spring / Summer chances are it's just that nothing more.
PMKing
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Wow! What I wide variety of reasons and answers.

To respond to a few:

I have started ami, which is a dry mouth kinda med, but I drink a lot of water and squash to combat that side effect....which leads to another, I pee a lot, and not always in the general direction of the bathroom...I am not aging gracefully.

I have had the croaky voice for about three years, so I don't put it down to any medication that I have started or stopped, just a croaky voice. I sound quite good when I sing though, gives it a lovely Joe Cocker kinda vibe :)

I don't have AC (living in England it is rare to find a house that has it), but the radiators are on in the evening and mornings as it is about 1 C at night so need to take the edge off. It is a around the year croak/equal opportunity croak, so seasons don't matter.

Having lectured myself, I understand living with a glass/bottle of water just to get through the class. I previously privately tutored English and Maths for 3-16 year old students, but even then I had to have something with me at all times.

I did guess that the heart condition is separate, but it seems the more I learn about Fibro, the more there seems to be out there....

Thanks to all of you. I knew that I would get a brilliant cross section on here.

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Fluff » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:38 pm

I also get a problem with my voice. I am by no means a singer but like everyone else like to sing along to the ballads etc. well this not happening now as at a certain pitch my voice goes croaky and then disappears. :(. I am also experiencing something strange. Not sure if anyone else is. When I write (or type). I have to re check everything as I find I am leaving the last two or one letter of the end of words. For no reason I just go o. To the next word. And I also find I cannot remember or think of the word I want to say. It can be as simple as asking to fill the kettle but I may forget the word kettle. Am I alone in this ?
Fluff
UKFM Member

Postby Fluff » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:41 pm

HaBe just read other posts. Clearly I am not alone. X
Fluff
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia