geographical tongue -Arghhh!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

geographical tongue -Arghhh!

Postby animeemo3 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:36 am

*sob* I have really bad geographical and fissured tongue. The tiniest of spices, food that's too hot and even toothpaste are excruciating for me. It's got to the point where I have to use an anaesthetic mouthwash just to eat things like doritos, which is ultimately pointless seeing as I cannot taste anything because of the anaesthetic! It's supposed to go away after a few months but I've had this for years!
Anybody successfully got rid of it? I wanna taste stuff without pain!
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Re: geographical tongue -Arghhh!

Postby dotty lotty » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:00 am

Had mine for quite a few years. Also give me some problems with food and drink.
Having to slug gaviscon by the gallon just now and boy does it hurt. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Woodlandmermaid » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:29 am

Have you tried coconut oil mixed with bicarb for cleaning teeth ... natural and kinder and not too awful for your taste buds. Spice and flavourings are always a bit tricky for me but I find that cleaning teeth/tongue regularly does help a little.

Frankly I tend to steer clear of anything processed/any ingredients I am not certain about. I just slowly changing my diet, slowly taking out anything that I reacted to badly. There are times when friends and family cook for me and bring me treats and frankly this used to be my nightmare especially if they insisted I try and they gave me a huge portion. Thankfully I have managed to explain to everyone about my issues and where initially they thought I was changing into some sort of health nut they have accepted my ways and explanation. I am not saying I don't eat the treats but just very small amounts to gage the reaction. I am a foodie and it is essential that food tastes and nourishes and I am still on a constant learning curb about what my body can tolerate, and I have found that by adding a tiny amount of what I couldn't tolerate previously (such as sweet pepper) I have been able to reintroduce this food gradually into my diet.

I also think that the cocktail of medications we take plays a huge part in the way our bodies react to what we eat. It may be useful to explain your symptoms to your GP just to check ... you never know they may be able to address this situation by a prescribing an alternative medication.

Good Luck xx :-)
Woodlandmermaid
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazzer67 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:24 pm

I could never work out why my tongue went through periods of this, however, I eventually worked out that there was a link to my level of anaemia: tongue was worse, the lower the level.
This obviously won't apply to everyone, it's just a trigger for me to get blood tests now! X
shazzer67
UKFM Newbie

Postby Timelordess » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:31 am

I was born with this. So I can't help. I never knew it was something that could develop. I've had it all my life, so know what I can and can't go near. Like you brushing my teeth is painful, but I can eat certain spicy ish foods. Not hugely spicy, I'm not that keen on spice anyway.
Good luck hun.

Xxx
Timelordess
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia